U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 PM

3,458 posts, read 5,098,833 times

Advertisements

I like his style. He can probably even distinguish between "need" and "want" unlike a lot of people raised in the developed world.

Reminds me of Phil Collins who never got into spending his money on things unless they were Alamo-related collectibles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 AM

4,882 posts, read 2,164,669 times
Penny wise and pound foolish... Doubtful.

I think most sensible folks realize that if it functions , in good shape, why buy new or because it's in style?

Clothing maybe a necessity . This gent realized how to spend on a necessity.

A lost skill is sewing.. Yet so many flea markets can be a Mecca for re-design !

Old 05-31-2016, 03:45 PM

24,760 posts, read 26,848,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
In this article it says he also gets his hair cut in developing countries to save money. So he spends a thousand dollars to fly to a third world country, just so he can save $10 on a hair cut? I call him a BS artist. I donít buy any of it.

Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad admits to buying clothes in car markets
Sorry, but that's a dumb conclusion. If you're a billionaire business owner with stores in multiple countries, you likely travel a lot, which gives you the opportunity to get your hair cut in 3rd world countries when traveling.

I did the same thing when I took a vacation to Peru. No, of course, I didn't go there just to get a haircut, but I took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself. Sheesh.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:08 PM

13,463 posts, read 7,173,474 times
To me it's a matter of the cost of time. I buy thrift store stuff - clothes, sometimes furniture...but it takes time and patience. I'd assume his time is pretty valuable - why not shop online for that stuff? Unless it's his hobby and he REALLY enjoys it, doesn't makes sense. But, since when do people do what makes sense - usually do what we want and figure out a way to justify it after the fact. <shrug>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or