Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Want to end up a billionaire like Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad? Consider doing as he does and trade the mall for the ... flea market. In a documentary set to air on Swedish television, the 89-year-old says that's where he shops for clothes, reports the AFP. "I don't think I’m wearing anything that wasn't bought at a flea market. It means that I want to set a good example.

Ikea's Billionaire Founder Gets Clothes at Flea Markets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I knew I loved that guy for a reason!

Old 03-10-2016, 04:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
IMO, buying most of your clothes at thrift stores is just good sense.

Why not take advantage of what is such a glut on the market? Better selection and better prices, it's a no-brainer.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I was once paying for gas inside station in Hermitage, TN. Two guys inside plus cashier. I large Ford truck pulling away, with rather nice boat behind. One of the guys says - look at him. He's got a brand new truck and $30 000 worth boat and he was just arguing with you for 30 cents!
And I thought - yes, that's exactly why he HAS all this and YOU are envious.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
In this article it says he also gets his hair cut in developing countries to save money. So he spends a thousand dollars to fly to a third world country, just so he can save $10 on a hair cut? I call him a BS artist. I don’t buy any of it.

Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad admits to buying clothes in car markets

Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
In this article it says he also gets his hair cut in developing countries to save money. So he spends a thousand dollars to fly to a third world country, just so he can save $10 on a hair cut? :rolleyes: I call him a BS artist. I don’t buy any of it.

Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad admits to buying clothes in car markets
The article said he gets his haircut while he is already there. He is already there on business because the IKEA goods usually come from developing countries.

I'd agree he really isn't doing us any favors. Does flea market clothing actually mean it is used clothing? I'd say not necessarily. In my experience flea market goods are usually a mix of resale items and imported goods from third world developing countries. He probably is getting a lower price on usable items, but a portion of that money he spends is going to another country. Good for him for the short term. Bad for us for the long term because that money is not going into our economy to be re-spent... just like the money that goes to IKEA.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The article said he gets his haircut while he is already there. He is already there on business because the IKEA goods usually come from developing countries.

I'd agree he really isn't doing us any favors. Does flea market clothing actually mean it is used clothing? I'd say not necessarily. In my experience flea market goods are usually a mix of resale items and imported goods from third world developing countries. He probably is getting a lower price on usable items, but a portion of that money he spends is going to another country. Good for him for the short term. Bad for us for the long term because that money is not going into our economy to be re-spent... just like the money that goes to IKEA.
Exactly, if he was really frugal he would get rid of the business suits and just wear jeans and a t-shirt. He could get away with it, because he owns the company. But I don’t think that's the type of person he is. He also owns three mansions, and was known to drive expensive sports cars when he was younger. So he owns a lot more then just the basic essentials. I’m not buying his meager lifestyle, but at least he doesn't flaunt his wealth like most billionaires do. I’ll give him that.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Want to end up a billionaire like Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad?

No.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:12 PM

149 posts, read 187,116 times
People like us call ourselves "alternative source shoppers"!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Exactly, if he was really frugal he would get rid of the business suits and just wear jeans and a t-shirt. He could get away with it, because he owns the company. But I don’t think that's the type of person he is. He also owns three mansions, and was known to drive expensive sports cars when he was younger. So he owns a lot more then just the basic essentials. I’m not buying his meager lifestyle, but at least he doesn't flaunt his wealth like most billionaires do. I’ll give him that.
I don't know anything about this gentleman. I don't fault him for his mansions or sports cars. He obviously has the money. If cars and houses give him a quality of life he enjoys, then good for him. He has earned it. He buys the suits because he wants to project a professional image. That's ok. It's dressing for success. Frugality isn't about buying what's cheapest. It's more about bang for your buck and quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living