U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:54 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,745,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yea, because cops and taxpayers hate the homeless, and want cops to beat them up for fun.

The cops aren't there to "serve" the homeless, they are to protect society. Which they have to do, thanks to the homeless population being a source of crime and trash. The town I lived in (in CA) built a taxpayer funded homeless camp that closed after 1 year. The local residents were sick of having their cars and homes broken in to, and the unbelievable filth and litter that spread from the camp.

Yea, I don't want the homeless around if I have to live like that.

??? ??? I've been homeless and was never a source of crime and trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 02:03 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,537,570 times
The best thing about being homeless? You avoid the "heelots:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPkOp1XOgU

Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,982,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of the the homeless basically have a net worth of zero since they have no debtor credit . many homeowners are under water and have all kinds of debt turning their net worth negative .

homeless are financially in better shape if you go by numbers .
Ehhh... I disagree. A significant number of people have chosen this lifestyle because they have large unsecured debts such as DSHS liens, judgments, IRS debt, student loans, medical bills, and even some private market debt that isn't easily discharged. The motivation to work a low wage job is reduced when the already low wages are going to be garnished for debt service. It's one of the unfortunate aspects of homeless outreach. Some people really have nothing good to 'come back' to once they get on their feet, and the little bit they would get is garnished well past the point of a living wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
^^^We're talking n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l average!!!

What happens to the homeless who become frostbitten in winter? Those that become dehydrated in summer? Those that overdose on drugs or alcohol? Those that are in fights? Those that are mentally unstable? Those pick up for vagrancy/panhandling? Even spending a day in jail can be expensive to taxpayers! Emergency room visits, hospital stays, prescription drugs, all borne by the taxpayers!

Get out your calculator, it all adds up! $42.5k a year for an average homeless person on our streets!
Let's not forget the cost of feeding ones addiction. If it's just alcohol that might only be $20/day or less. If it's heroin, each and every day people have to steal hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of items to sell. Then there's the damage done from all of the broken windows and kicked in doors that go along with feeding a heroin habit. Just supporting a $100/day habit could cost the victims thousands of dollars a day. Over a year a single addict might do $250K in damage. And that's $250K before accounting for any medical care, law enforcement costs, etc...

Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
Sometimes I read some of these threads and think they have to be started by either trolls, people who are bored or just plain stupid. The OP starts this thread and expects people to say "yeah, being homeless is great, no responsibilities". And if a person is truly homeless not just a 35 year old living with his parents, I doubt he's on this forum.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM

12,752 posts, read 10,771,268 times
Reminds me of the movie, 'The Lady in the Van', Maggie Smith.
(Didn't read all the many pages if mentioned)
It is certainly doable!
Bar of soap, gallon of water, a bath sponge, toothbrush...and you're good to go!

My mortgage and car are paid for....but, I think living in a van is just fine!
Freedom...yay! Thank you laundromats!
Where to park stress free would be the thing.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 04-11-2016 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,560,832 times
Here's a man with a well-paying career, living in pricey Southern California, choosing to save millions over his lifetime by eschewing real estate stresses and living in his SUV:

I Have Lived out of a Compact SUV for Over a Year. - Album on Imgur

He parks at night in varied places where people are less likely to be around. He says he uses Google Earth to help him decide where to park each night.

He has a gym membership at Anytime Fitness which is open 24/7/365, and that's where he takes showers.

He says cops have tapped on his car window only a few times and told him to move along, but he hasn't been ticketed or been in any trouble yet for living in his car which is technically illegal.

He says he really likes this lifestyle.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
To each his own I guess. I don't think I want to live in my mini SUV but with the rents skyrocketing around here who knows......

Old 04-11-2016, 07:46 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,741,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Where to park stress free would be the thing.
Definitely the best is on public land far from humans. Free, too.

I highly recommend north of Yuma in the winter. It's the warmest place in the west. Sadly I don't think camping on the beach in southern Baja is a viable option anymore. And in summer the Sierras or Cascades are good due to limited summer rainfall (to avoid flooding and getting stuck). High elevation parts of NV, UT, ID, MT and WY are pretty good as well. AZ, NM, and CO get too much summer rain IMO.

It can be dicey in town, but for brief visits it isn't hard to find spots.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,741,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
He has a gym membership at Anytime Fitness which is open 24/7/365, and that's where he takes showers.
That's the way to go if you are going to be in town a lot. I did that for a couple years.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:00 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,745,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
To each his own I guess. I don't think I want to live in my mini SUV but with the rents skyrocketing around here who knows......

Gary Numan was 30 years ahead of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or