U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM

115 posts, read 85,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yikes, try doing it when you're 65 and have no parents or nothing to fall back on. You may call it carefree but I call it irresponsible. To me you are so far behind that you may never catch up. Scary. Sorry but I just can't relate. Just give your future a ten second thought, okay?
the van is my fallback. i can buy one for $1,000 and live in the back. or sell my parent's house. then there's social security when i'm 60ish. i can live on $10-$20 a day if i have to. i am developing "skills" so i can make money on the side so to speak. panhandling, freelancing, odd jobs, etc.. i'm developing a better credit score too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 01:24 PM

16,158 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Maybe the poster could not read. However, Seattle is having a homeless problem due to the young homeless flocking to Seattle and parts of CO due to the legalization of Marijuana.
I find it rather ironice

Homelessness, Seattle and legal marijuana - Dori Monson | MyNorthwest.com
Seattle had a homeless problem *before* pot was legalized. The subject of your piece - a radio commentator - cites no numbers to show the extent to which potheads contribute to this problem. I don't doubt that there has been some in-migration due to pot, but I know of no reason to think that it is a major factor.
After 10-Year Plan, Why Does Seattle Have More Homeless Than Ever? | KUOW News and Information

One of the big reasons is a side effect of Seattle's booming economy - rents are high.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:37 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
a cut and paste, essentially, from her other troll post

Old 03-13-2016, 02:48 PM

52 posts, read 37,790 times
There's nothing good about being homeless. If you are 35 and at home, get a job!!!

Old 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,066,095 times
I guess that the best part of being truly homeless is the effect it has on your personal hygiene.

It is difficult to develop a funky odor that emanates from every pore on one's body and drives people away unless one goes without bathing for extended periods of time, as is typical of so many homeless folks. The occasional sponge bath in the sink at the local Exxon station does little to remove that funk, and most people would not have the opportunity to achieve this enviably filthy state of being unless they were homeless. This situation is especially positive when dating, and when seeking employment.

Yup! Go for it!

Old 03-13-2016, 02:51 PM

52 posts, read 37,790 times
If I have kids I will not allow them to live at home after 21 at the latest unless an emergency happens in which case they can pay rent. Unless it is dire circumstances - I wouldn't make them have to live on the street - but also I won't enable them to be freeloader losers either.

Last edited by thinking about texas; 03-13-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 02:53 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
I can't think of anything being a "best thing" about being homeless. It's nothing to brag about.

You're wrongly conflating having no responsibilities with homelessness.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:57 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,771,500 times
OP is not homeless - He is a leach if he is not contributing to the household he is living in.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:15 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,243,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
i'm still living at home at age 35. if i want, i can move into an old chevy van and live out of it. still rent free living. i pay almost nothing to live on since i am so frugal. i have traveled the world and i don't care what anybody thinks about my lifestyle. living on just about nothing is the best thing there is. isn't it? i have no mortgage to deal with, nothing. i will leave my job whenever i feel like it. i have done so many times. just walked off the job. nothing ties me down at all.
What you are speaking of is not homelessness. I have a 53 year old washed up "rent boy" friend who lives with his mom too who calls himself homeless.. right Edit: I do not mean he is my BOYFRIEND , he is a childhood friend my friends and I have known most of our lives .

I too have lived all over the world was never homeless in Europe but in the states a couple of times and with a 2 year old too . It's horrible and the things I had to do to keep us halfway safe or to get a roof over our heads were sometime horrible too ..
I will NOT GO THERE again at any cost , no matter how degrading . Mine was due to chronic illness and no family . Alot of my family was older when I was born and long deceased .

Sometimes the "assistance" that so many who haven't been there speak of , just ISN'T there . It can also vary widely from state to state .Can be very tough if you are a woman like myself as well . Was homeless usually waiting on lists .

I have news for you anyone 35 or over living in their van is NOT going to be doing any job at my house or for many people at all in general . It is also harder and harder to get any job as you get older . Lots of competition out there so your panhandling skills better be sharp.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 03-13-2016 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 03:39 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,066,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
What you are speaking of is not homelessness.

While he is sponging off of his parents, he is obviously not homeless.
However, he mentioned that he is contemplating a Chevy van as his new...place of residence...and at that point, he would be homeless, with all of the...joys...associated with that status.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or