U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 AM

606 posts, read 581,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you are over 35 and unskilled, who's going to hire you?
Short term...the Bernie Sanders campaign. Long term...any gov't agency.

A guy like this has no ceiling in the public sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 01:33 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
OP:

It is easy for you to choose homelessness because you have your parents to fall back on. But what are you going to do when your parents are not around anymore? Assuming that you inherit the house, are you going to accept responsibility for bills for basics, and for property taxes? What about when your health starts to give you trouble? Do you at least have medical insurance?

I know someone who made a bad decision that cost him his job. He was in his mid-50s but looked older and he couldn't find another job, so he eventually chose to live in his van, then he realized that he liked the freedom of having no responsibilities. He was going to get rid of his van but I don't understand that at all, considering the monsoon rains we get here. In a few years he can draw early social security.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
The OP asked about what the BEST thing about being homeless is. I've never been homeless so I can't say for sure. I guess it could work in your favor if you really don't want to develop close friendships or ever get married or have kids. Most significant others would like to have a home and a place to bathe and cook and call their own. You could potentially rack up a nice bank account because you wouldn't have the same costs others have. It's a lot cheaper to live like a miser.

Sarcasm aside. No way would I suggest someone willingly choose this lifestyle. You can get away with so much more when you're younger. People will cut you a lot of slack that they won't when you are older. People stop giving second chances. If you blow your chance to break even or get ahead when you are young, then that is it. Your body doesn't feel the same way it does when you are younger. You start getting those little aches and pains and things start wearing out noticeably in your 40's. It's nice to be able to afford those visits to the doctor. The time to live and save for tomorrow is today. You can take it easy and forget responsibility when you get old. If you don't put the time in to develop relationships now, you won't have to worry about it later. Lots of lonely people out there.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:29 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
...then there's social security when i'm 60ish
Only if you have worked a total of 10 years to pay into the system

Old 03-14-2016, 04:33 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,857,073 times
I cant see why on earth anyone would actually want to live in a van, no matter how well equipped it is. Now a boat maybe, but not a van. Good luck with that.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,966,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I cant see why on earth anyone would actually want to live in a van, no matter how well equipped it is. Now a boat maybe, but not a van. Good luck with that.
Come to Seattle. Thousands of people living on the public streets in tents, vans and RV's. Generally if you ask them why they do it, it's because of the freedom from rules. The city actually provides free camping spots for tents and RVs, but the camps are never full because they have some minor rules required for living in them.

I've seen people living like this up close. It certainly has a lot of down sides, but they also have a certain freedom from responsibility that is otherwise only enjoyed by people who are independently wealthy. Imagine having no mortgage, no job responsibilities, no family or children to care for, no bills, no debt payments or obligations of any kind. If you wake up in the morning and decide you want to shoot heroin, smoke some meth or just go out and steal things or beat someone up that's what you do. There are little in the way of consequences.

I'd guess if you haven't been exposed to people living this lifestyle it would seem foreign. But there are thousands of people doing it in Seattle and other cities all along the west coast. If there weren't any appeal to it there wouldn't be so many people living like this.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:58 PM

11,892 posts, read 14,359,727 times
No property tax. Divorce rate among the homeless is practically zero, since few ever get married.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:46 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
OP is not homeless - He is a leach if he is not contributing to the household he is living in.
That's a little strong. My parents would have been very willing to have me stay with them, even as an adult, without paying for anything. Still, I don't know what they would have thought if it went on for years. Most parents assume, and hope, that the child launches off on his own.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:38 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,282,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I guess that the best part of being truly homeless is the effect it has on your personal hygiene.

It is difficult to develop a funky odor that emanates from every pore on one's body and drives people away unless one goes without bathing for extended periods of time, as is typical of so many homeless folks. The occasional sponge bath in the sink at the local Exxon station does little to remove that funk, and most people would not have the opportunity to achieve this enviably filthy state of being unless they were homeless. This situation is especially positive when dating, and when seeking employment.

Yup! Go for it!

Gym memberships are cheap nowadays, and many homeless people join gyms to use the showers and bathrooms.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,282,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Come to Seattle. Thousands of people living on the public streets in tents, vans and RV's. Generally if you ask them why they do it, it's because of the freedom from rules. The city actually provides free camping spots for tents and RVs, but the camps are never full because they have some minor rules required for living in them.

I've seen people living like this up close. It certainly has a lot of down sides, but they also have a certain freedom from responsibility that is otherwise only enjoyed by people who are independently wealthy. Imagine having no mortgage, no job responsibilities, no family or children to care for, no bills, no debt payments or obligations of any kind. If you wake up in the morning and decide you want to shoot heroin, smoke some meth or just go out and steal things or beat someone up that's what you do. There are little in the way of consequences.

I'd guess if you haven't been exposed to people living this lifestyle it would seem foreign. But there are thousands of people doing it in Seattle and other cities all along the west coast. If there weren't any appeal to it there wouldn't be so many people living like this.
Many non-criminals and non-drug abusers live that lifestyle, too. For many, the freedom from the typical modern responsibilities (i.e, work,bills,family) is very alluring and hard to resist. Can't fault anyone for choosing to live a non-conformist lifestyle. So many sheep in this world who are bothered by people who march to a different beat or who choose to live a different lifestyle. Not everyone wants to enslave him/herself to a traditional 9-5 job and be tied down to a mortgage, family, etc. Different strokes for different folks. Some people value security and tradition; others value freedom and non-conformity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or