Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

It isn't about what it costs to feed the homeless. It is increased law enforcement, clean up of garbage and sewage, theft, broken and dirty public facilities, vandalism, loss of business income to the shops who have homeless camps sprout up by their doorway and chasing the paying customers off.

And the portion of the homeless who are drug addicts do go to the emergency room, exhibiting drug seeking behavior. Claiming to be in terrible pain and needing prescription pain killers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:27 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Some people simply can't handle living the stressful, superficial rat race lifestyle that's required to survive in USA. So IMO "the best thing about being homeless"(?!) would be exempting oneself from participating in the rat race.

Of course there are countless downsides to the whole homeless thing, but that's a tangent from OP's topic so I'll leave it at that.
The homeless simply participate in a different rat race as they need to find places to stay daily, to defend the places/spots they "own" as well as their other possession daily, to find food or the money to obtain food (or drugs or alcohol is that's their demon), etc. Often, they are also fighting the demons in their heads as well because many are mentally ill.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
I know people who have to support a family on less. It's really hard to develop a lot of sympathy for your plight.
You should be paying your parents house payment. Then. perhaps they would leave the house to you, and you wouldn't have to live in a van.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
most of the the homeless basically have a net worth of zero since they have no debtor credit . many homeowners are under water and have all kinds of debt turning their net worth negative .

homeless are financially in better shape if you go by numbers .

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
No property tax. You can have beach front view without sky high price.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It isn't about what it costs to feed the homeless. It is increased law enforcement, clean up of garbage and sewage, theft, broken and dirty public facilities, vandalism, loss of business income to the shops who have homeless camps sprout up by their doorway and chasing the paying customers off.

And the portion of the homeless who are drug addicts do go to the emergency room, exhibiting drug seeking behavior. Claiming to be in terrible pain and needing prescription pain killers.

??? ??? I've been homeless and as far as I am aware, I didn't cost law enforcement anything marginal.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of the the homeless basically have a net worth of zero since they have no debtor credit . many homeowners are under water and have all kinds of debt turning their net worth negative .

homeless are financially in better shape if you go by numbers .

??? ??? ??? ???

If you incur debt before you become homeless - e.g. someone in another thread lost their job and pulled a cash advance off a credit card to pay rent (but found a job right after and did not become homeless) - the debt does not magically disappear because you're homeless.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I didn't cost law enforcement anything
From what I saw the "cost" for law enforcement goes like this: The fine upstanding citizens don't like having homeless around, so the cops harass them and occasionally beat them so they will leave. Or maybe the cops just do it for fun? Regardless, the cops aren't serving the homeless in the slightest, so any time they spend on them isn't an expense that the homeless are responsible for.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:30 AM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
From what I saw the "cost" for law enforcement goes like this: The fine upstanding citizens don't like having homeless around, so the cops harass them and occasionally beat them so they will leave. Or maybe the cops just do it for fun? Regardless, the cops aren't serving the homeless in the slightest, so any time they spend on them isn't an expense that the homeless are responsible for.
Wow. Talk about stingy. The police have many cases that their presence is needed that cost above and beyond their budgeted expenditures. It is not just the homeless that cause this!

Besides, as another poster said, the homeless may have paid taxes or still paying even while homeless.

You resent the homeless that much that you can't think of them humanally?

Wow.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 04-08-2016 at 03:46 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Yea, because cops and taxpayers hate the homeless, and want cops to beat them up for fun.

The cops aren't there to "serve" the homeless, they are to protect society. Which they have to do, thanks to the homeless population being a source of crime and trash. The town I lived in (in CA) built a taxpayer funded homeless camp that closed after 1 year. The local residents were sick of having their cars and homes broken in to, and the unbelievable filth and litter that spread from the camp.

Yea, I don't want the homeless around if I have to live like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living