Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:42 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,775,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
yes because my pay is so low. never had a lot of money in my life. i've always lived very poorly with low wage jobs. poor life and i'm still poor after all these years despite going to college. im living with my parents because i've always been poor as dirt. i'd have to resort to living in the van if my parents died. just making plans in a worst case scenario. or when i'm older.
In your initial post you said you've walked out on many jobs and that you would do it again if you didn't like your job for any reason. Now with the post above I get a sense that you are expecting us to feel sorry for you for having gone to college and not having a real job.

Let me put it real simple to you. You reap what you sow. In your case your bad work ethic, negative attitude, and lack of "caring" has provided you with EXACTLY what you were looking for. Low morale, no money, dead end jobs, and PLENTY of freedom to do whatever you want that doesn't cost anything. Good for you! Keep up the uh... good work?

Please stop making us young adults look bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:22 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,485,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yikes, try doing it when you're 65 and have no parents or nothing to fall back on. You may call it carefree but I call it irresponsible. To me you are so far behind that you may never catch up. Scary. Sorry but I just can't relate. Just give your future a ten second thought, okay?
This is what I was thinking...unless they expect a big inheritance or something. But no one should count on that!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 PM

151 posts, read 194,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP: You are not homeless so you really have no idea what it is like to be homeless.
This doofus has a home. Very insulting to real homeless....................lol.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,284,043 times
Some people simply can't handle living the stressful, superficial rat race lifestyle that's required to survive in USA. So IMO "the best thing about being homeless"(?!) would be exempting oneself from participating in the rat race.

Of course there are countless downsides to the whole homeless thing, but that's a tangent from OP's topic so I'll leave it at that.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,889,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Some people simply can't handle living the stressful, superficial rat race lifestyle that's required to survive in USA. So IMO "the best thing about being homeless"(?!) would be exempting oneself from participating in the rat race.

Of course there are countless downsides to the whole homeless thing, but that's a tangent from OP's topic so I'll leave it at that.
I find showing up to punch a clock everyday far easier than struggling to survive when it's below freezing out on the street.

The majority of homeless are not there by choice. Many have mental or substance abuse issues which keep them from getting the help they need to reintegrate into society.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Plus side: you never have to wash dishes because you are eating out of soup kitchens and dumpsters. No housekeeping, no vacuuming, no dusting, no making the bed.

Big savings on bath soap, shampoo, and laundry soap. Probably higher costs for sun screen and mosquito repellent.

I don't know if you consider this a plus or a minus, but your circle of friends will become very small and nobody will ask you to meet them for dinner and drinks, or to go to a concert with them. You'll no longer be invited to go sailing or to attend a backyard barbecue.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 PM

23,072 posts, read 28,795,075 times
Most people don't realize how expensive homeless people are to taxpayers. On a national average, it costs taxpayers $42.5k a year to have a homeless person on the streets, almost the same amount if they were in prison, $40k-$50k a year, both direct and indirect costs.

How many people are naïve enough to view a homeless camp and think: Gee! This isn't costing me anything!

Dead wrong!

What's overlooked is the trips to the Emergency Rooms (they can't be refused treatment), potential hospitalization, prescription drugs, rehab facilities. All very pricey to taxpayers!

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility and we, occasionally, get homeless people coming into the facility for rehab, and we're under strict state/federal guidelines where we cannot simply release one of these people onto the streets again. Social Services must make sure anyone leaving the facility is placed in a secure environment, an apartment, along with food stamps.

Now! If the person goes AMA, then we're off the hook!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,548,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Most people don't realize how expensive homeless people are to taxpayers. On a national average, it costs taxpayers $42.5k a year to have a homeless person on the streets, almost the same amount if they were in prison, $40k-$50k a year, both direct and indirect costs.
Total baloney.

I lived in a truck for 13 years and I know I spent less than $5k/yr, including gas, repairs, and depreciation on the truck. Most homeless people get by with substantially less. I hung out with homeless people on occasion and not a one of them was getting more than foodstamps. Medical care? Maybe. I didn't, and none of them did that I'm aware of. If they ever did go, it would be because they were almost dead. I'd put the real cost at ~3k/yr, including medical.

I'm mean seriously, how can you believe it costs $40-50k/yr? That's nearly our per capita GDP!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:17 AM

23,072 posts, read 28,795,075 times
^^^We're talking n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l average!!!

What happens to the homeless who become frostbitten in winter? Those that become dehydrated in summer? Those that overdose on drugs or alcohol? Those that are in fights? Those that are mentally unstable? Those pick up for vagrancy/panhandling? Even spending a day in jail can be expensive to taxpayers! Emergency room visits, hospital stays, prescription drugs, all borne by the taxpayers!

Get out your calculator, it all adds up! $42.5k a year for an average homeless person on our streets!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:30 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,548,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
$42.5k a year for an average homeless person on our streets!
You are claiming that the average homeless person "spends" (costs) more than the average citizen. Doesn't that seem a little absurd to you?

All you are doing is arm waving and making stuff up. Homeless people use a lot less medical than the average person and basically live on cheap food and stuff that you would throw in the trash. $3k/yr tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living