U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 PM

8,867 posts, read 4,832,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My latest is 24 ounces. I just use it for coffee. It gets filled once a day... sometime a second but only half way. My tea mug is smaller.
That reminds me of when I was doing military police duties.

I would come in before 0700, fill my mug, review affairs, take a sip, go off to report to the XO, come back, NUKE IT, take a sip, go off to morning training, come back, NUKE IT, take a sip, go off to do something else, come back, NUKE IT, take a sip, etc, etc, etc, through out the day. I tended to only have one mug a day.

The mug is still with me. It is a larger one with motivational sayings on it that encircle it descendingly. It is like this one: Free Thinkers University -- Success - By Barbara Smallwood & Steve Kilborn www.Dyslexia.tv
but mine has a different background pattern, sort of like a piano keyboard/old style computer paper. I picked mine up in the mid 80's, after a not the best sea tour. It has fallen off the desk, there is a crack line on both sides along the handle, running almost the entire height (perhaps it is glued together with nuked coffee), and it is mine.

I'm not sure when Smallwood & Kilborn wrote that, wrote that last line, "Now show us the color of your rainbow" but it was probably during the Bailey Quarters' generation, before LGBT movement took over the Rainbow and made it their own symbol. A nice collection of my mugs (as do other things, like the poster "Building a Rainbow") come from that whimsical time with unicorns and rainbows on them......unlike other eras when such has been turned into a travesty by one side or another. SI-GH!

One of my Mother's mugs had on one side a rainbow sprouting from a spring. One of my brothers is gay, I don't know if he would have gone after the mug, but I grabbed it first (come to think of it, when we were all there together, I always grabbed it first) and made it part of my collection, made it my own.

It was Mom who verbally directed me to keep my day to day silverware in coffee mugs. She was more implying for when one sets the table but it is how I store the clean flatware on the shelf, usually in those that can't be microwaved. She was implying such as with those narrow neck, wide bottom type (like they often used on DS 9), but if I culled any mugs, those were the ones. The ones I received leaked and they wasted space on the shelf.

Does seeing the coffee mug as 1000 & 1 influence us to other things? My preferred style of soup bowl are the kinds with a handle, a thumb hole on the side. Got to run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That reminds me of when I was doing military police duties.

I would come in before 0700, fill my mug, review affairs, take a sip, go off to report to the XO, come back, NUKE IT, take a sip, go off to morning training, come back, NUKE IT, take a sip, go off to do something else, come back, NUKE IT, take a sip, etc, etc, etc, through out the day. I tended to only have one mug a day.

The mug is still with me. It is a larger one with motivational sayings on it that encircle it descendingly. It is like this one: Free Thinkers University -- Success - By Barbara Smallwood & Steve Kilborn www.Dyslexia.tv
but mine has a different background pattern, sort of like a piano keyboard/old style computer paper. I picked mine up in the mid 80's, after a not the best sea tour. It has fallen off the desk, there is a crack line on both sides along the handle, running almost the entire height (perhaps it is glued together with nuked coffee), and it is mine.

I'm not sure when Smallwood & Kilborn wrote that, wrote that last line, "Now show us the color of your rainbow" but it was probably during the Bailey Quarters' generation, before LGBT movement took over the Rainbow and made it their own symbol. A nice collection of my mugs (as do other things, like the poster "Building a Rainbow") come from that whimsical time with unicorns and rainbows on them......unlike other eras when such has been turned into a travesty by one side or another. SI-GH!

One of my Mother's mugs had on one side a rainbow sprouting from a spring. One of my brothers is gay, I don't know if he would have gone after the mug, but I grabbed it first (come to think of it, when we were all there together, I always grabbed it first) and made it part of my collection, made it my own.

It was Mom who verbally directed me to keep my day to day silverware in coffee mugs. She was more implying for when one sets the table but it is how I store the clean flatware on the shelf, usually in those that can't be microwaved. She was implying such as with those narrow neck, wide bottom type (like they often used on DS 9), but if I culled any mugs, those were the ones. The ones I received leaked and they wasted space on the shelf.

Does seeing the coffee mug as 1000 & 1 influence us to other things? My preferred style of soup bowl are the kinds with a handle, a thumb hole on the side. Got to run.
That's funny....I drink my huge mug in about 20 minutes....😄

Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,020,746 times
I buy decorative mugs at Salvation Army thrift stores when they have sales. I then drill holes in the bottom of them, and turn them into flowerpots.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:08 PM

15,629 posts, read 8,758,135 times
No coffee mugs in this house. I do, however, have a set of white tea cups and saucers that match my everyday china. Actually, it's my only dishware. (I'm not much of a collector.) Like, Tamara, I do find them very flexible. I've served everything from tea to soup to mousse to ice cream in them. I will say, though, that I must have matching dishes, preferably white. A cabinet filled with unmatched mugs would make me all twitchy. I really can't stand clutter.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:18 PM

3,065 posts, read 5,281,869 times
This thread is about the versatility of coffee mugs, not tea cups.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,375,570 times
We used to have loads, as husband and I are both former teachers and teachers are gifted mugs like it's the only gift out there. But we've weeded them down to a couple of frequently used ones each. And my husband is Navy, so he has his grody "mess" mug, which I thankfully rarely have to see, lol.

I personally only use mugs for hot things. I don't like cold stuff in mugs.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:37 PM

15,629 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
This thread is about the versatility of coffee mugs, not tea cups.
True enough, Charles, but a basic tea cup can hold coffee as well and is similarly versatile. Please forgive me for confusing matters.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM

641 posts, read 572,861 times
Only use mine for those nifty 'cake in a mug' 'brownie in a mug' treats, yum, so easy and fast to make but you do need a nice strong mug, not a fragile china tea cup. Have an insulated, thermos-type thing for drinking coffee.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:21 PM

7,841 posts, read 6,923,609 times
I have a large collection that I'm going to pare down to only a few ... my stoneware roosters and my dogs. The rest are going. I'm thinking about having a yard sale, but if I don't they'll get donated to a couple of charities that have thrift stores/provide assistance to the very poor.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,184,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

I'm not sure when Smallwood & Kilborn wrote that, wrote that last line, "Now show us the color of your rainbow" but it was probably during the Bailey Quarters' generation, before LGBT movement took over the Rainbow and made it their own symbol. t to run.
I might be the only one left, but the rainbow always reminds me of the promise God made after the flood, and the account of Noah and his ark.

"After the flood, all the colors came out, it was a beautiful day..." U2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living