U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times

Advertisements

So colorful, so versatile, a 1000 and 1 uses!

Tonight, I was putting away clean mugs on a very full coffee mug shelf. There are mugs there of all shapes and sizes and themes: cats, snoopies, unicorns, tee shirts, rainbows, diving, tourist traps, motivation, business themes, and who knows what else.

We drink coffee, juice, whiskey, water, milk, just about anything out of them. We have our soups, our stews, our granola in them. We use them in polite company and rambunctious celebrations. Some people even use them for ladles.

They hold our pens and deliver presents from the office on birthdays. When the handles have broken off, they become scoops, such as for pet food and kitty litter.

We may love our coffee, but it seems the container that holds it is much more important than the beverage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 AM

4,293 posts, read 6,395,292 times
Um.... speak for yourself.

I have only Ever used them for holding hot drinks, and until about 2 months ago we only had 3 in the house (now we have 5 ~ none of the old ones remained and only 2 are used with any frequency). I seriously can not think of ever using one for anything other than holding a hot drink (tea with the very rare hot cider or hot chocolate). I own more now than any point previously in life too (in my mid 40's currently).

*shrug*

This might come back to that clutter issue you posted about a month or two back...

Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM

11,064 posts, read 8,986,001 times
I only ever own 1 coffee mug at a time. When I get a new one the old one goes where it belongs, in the trash.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,770,456 times
TamaraSavannah: Don't listen to the voices of evil. I LOVE coffee mugs and find almost as many uses for them as you.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
I'm a fan of coffee mugs. I prefer big, solid, stoneware mugs, not the flimsy novelty mugs that easily chip and break. We use our mugs for coffee and other hot beverages.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:44 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Coffee mugs. That's what I buy for souvenirs. They are small, light, easy to pack, and , unlike many souvenirs, they actually get a lot of use.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Well, the ladle approach wasn't my idea. I started giving ladles as house warming gifts because I observed that often, people didn't have them...............and then one of my friends countered by saying "We just use a coffee mug.". As it is, I have 3 ladles (bought one of them to play "Felix" in an Odd Couple scene), so I am not likely to run out......but just in case.....

As far as granola in a coffee mug, it was the way I had many a breakfasts when I was younger. Put the granola in the mug, add milk, spoon away.

One of the "problems" of being a camp out cook is about having a supply of mugs for the crew. Currently, that problem is answered just by double or triple sleeving the cups.....& telling someone, "Sorry, you didn't bring your own mug." is not the answer at all. Ceramics aren't really an answer due to breakage, but I pick up camping "mugs" as I go along. I just don't have many now.

I've also learned to carry travel mugs on camping trips and in the car. The former was a lesson after at time when the lead diver wanted something to mix a drink in. Hey, he is my boss. That latter is for when I am at a friend's house, it's been a long day, it's a long way home, and I ask my hostess for coffee.

For one of my cousin's graduation, I sent her a set of mugs with US postage stamps on them. Perhaps not as useful as a Swiss Army Knife, but for someone just starting out, still a nice thing to have.

When we were clearing out Mom's house, the cat mugs naturally came to me. I also grabbed the rainbow mug (I'm of the Bailey Quarters generation!) and what I call the tee shirt mugs, a white one with yellow parallel stripes and then a yellow one with white squares on it.

If there is a decent amount of traveling packaging protection, then the coffee mugs ought to be in a box in the car. There is something that each person can have their own mug when the dining furnishings are little more than paper plates and plastic utensils. Makes a heck of a morale booster.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
I have dozens of mugs, various sizes, logos and sayings. I don't throw them out unless they get broke. Yes, my house is cluttered, flat surfaces are for stacking things on, deal with it.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,180,354 times
We use coffee mugs for various purposes too, but whenever I have company I always use cups and saucers to serve tea and coffee. I never used to drink my coffee and tea out of a mug at the office until my assistant bought me a mug I really loved and will use until it disintegrates.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:38 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
My latest is 24 ounces. I just use it for coffee. It gets filled once a day... sometime a second but only half way. My tea mug is smaller.

The day after Thanksgiving the Christmas coffee mugs come out -- Mary Engelbreit's Santa Believe.

For his birthday and then Christmas Hubby got two mugs -- emblazoned with the Universal sanctioned Frankenstein creatures -- one of Boris and one of Elsa Lanchester.... he loves his mugs.

I don't use broken mugs as scoops -- I'm way to likely to harm myself. But I do use them as pen holders, makeup brush holders, q-tip holders, cotton ball holders....

nd yes -- we do cull them every so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living