Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 PM

33 posts, read 71,343 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Delaware forum but this is where it really belongs to as im looking ways to improve as well as share some frugal ideas:

my monthly payment for tv, voip home phone, 3mb dsl line and 3 unlimited everything cellphone lines $160.00 a month

breakdown:

Internet : $27 with dsl extreme (Fired Verizon)
Cell lines : $127.00 with Walmart family mobile (Fired T-Mobile)
Home Phone $10.00 With Callcentric (Fired Verizon)
Tv $0 Hulu, and network streaming (Fired Dish Network

Internet details: Dsl extreme is a company located in the west coast and the way they work is through your local phone company,i believe they will service wherever verizon (in my case) and att or comcast (not sure about that).I pretty much get the same verizon service but do not have to deal with verizon (a big plus as i ranked them the worst company in customer service) and is cheaper.

cell phone Details: Walmart Family mobile was introduced by walmart late last year and is walmart branded but partnered with t-mobile.pretty much they use t-mobile antennas and customer service.$45 for the first phone plus 25 for any additional up to 5 lines,that includes unlimited text and voice.Data is optional and can be added at any time,i load $40 every four moth which breaks to about $10 a month and pretty much use it unlimited as my kids do not use data on their phones.One good thing over all other cheap services out there is the fact that they are BYOP (bring your own phone) meaning that you can bring any t-mobile or att compatible phone .

Home Phone details: I have what is called VOIP (voice over ip) is pretty much phone service through the dsl line.I spend about $10 a month to keep a home phone.Could also go with vonage provably or some other.

TV Service Details:I bought a 46" SAMSUNG 460FPN-2 for about $500 (I was shopping for a tv anyways),Note that this is not a tv but a monitor.The advantage is that been a signage monitor it has a built in embedded xp computer.Then watching Hulu programing in it is pretty simple with my wireless mouse and keyboard,also streaming anything on my local network is a snap.Only disadvantage is that it do not have a built in tuner,will be soon shopping for an external tuner so i can add an antenna to it.

I'm sharing my frugal setting for others to replicate or anybody with an idea on how or what i can do better feel free to post your comment...

Last edited by dj0077; 05-19-2011 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Get rid of your cell phone, and make your friends wait to hear from you after you get home, and retrieve your messages when you get home. Save $1500 a year X 50 year remaining lifetime = $75,000.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Get rid of your cell phone, and make your friends wait to hear from you after you get home, and retrieve your messages when you get home. Save $1500 a year X 50 year remaining lifetime = $75,000.
Good observation as it is my most expensive bill but i can not get rid off for two reasons:
1-my job is dependent on it.
2-been a single parent with two teenagers in school,i had to get them both a phone line even tho i believe kids at a young age with cell phones is more a distraction most times.

But pretty much the cellphone lines are a need not a want,BUT lowering the cost is something really needed.Any suggestions on that?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj0077 View Post
Good observation as it is my most expensive bill but i can not get rid off for two reasons:
1-my job is dependent on it.
2-been a single parent with two teenagers in school,i had to get them both a phone line even tho i believe kids at a young age with cell phones is more a distraction most times.

But pretty much the cellphone lines are a need not a want,BUT lowering the cost is something really needed.Any suggestions on that?
I live in the outer edge of suburbs with no public transportation. My girls are now 30 & 33. My husband and I both worked and neither of them EVER had a cell phone until the older was 21. The younger bought her own; she lives on it. If they wanted us, they had to call us at work -- meaning go to the school office, or go to a friend's house or go to (God forbid) a pay phone.... and they survived.

Kids do not need cell phones. Our kids survived. One hardly ever uses hers but texts if need be; however, her sister lives on it ( so, she pays a lot)

CUT KIDS PHONES OUT.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I live in the outer edge of suburbs with no public transportation. My girls are now 30 & 33. My husband and I both worked and neither of them EVER had a cell phone until the older was 21. The younger bought her own; she lives on it. If they wanted us, they had to call us at work -- meaning go to the school office, or go to a friend's house or go to (God forbid) a pay phone.... and they survived.

Kids do not need cell phones. Our kids survived. One hardly ever uses hers but texts if need be; however, her sister lives on it ( so, she pays a lot)

CUT KIDS PHONES OUT.
Yeah, my kids grew up perfectly fine without cell phones. They don't NEED cell phones.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Yeah, my kids grew up perfectly fine without cell phones. They don't NEED cell phones.
In my day there was not the OPTION of a cell phone. Where I do disagree with you is for safety purposes. A simple tracfone with 10 minutes on it could well save your child's life, provided your child understands it's only to be used in the event of emergency or if your child becomes afraid something isn't "right."

Old 05-30-2011, 04:00 PM

145 posts, read 420,619 times
Could also start a google voice account. It's 100 % free and all you need is a microphone or bluetooth headset to make and receive phone calls. Actually has voice mail to I believe.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Just got a link to this one of my old posts and reviewed the changes since then

New Setup:::

Internet : $14.99 with Time Warner
Cell lines : $127.00 with T-Mobile four Lines 1st Personal, 2nd Business, 3rd and 4th line for Teens
Home Phone $00.00 With obi100 using google voice
TV : $00.00 network streaming Mainly Youtube Documentaries

Old Setup::::

Internet : $27 with dsl extreme (Fired Verizon)
Cell lines : $127.00 with Walmart family mobile (Fired T-Mobile)
Home Phone $10.00 With Callcentric (Fired Verizon)
Tv $0 Hulu, and network streaming (Fired Dish Network

Cellphone still killing me....Any recommendations out there welcomed!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:28 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post

CUT KIDS PHONES OUT.
This worked 10+ years ago but Pay Phones hardly exist anymore (and the few that do are privately serviced through very expensive providers) I'm about the only person I work with that has a true landline (VOIP is not a landline in my book) and I'm thinking of getting rid of it if I can get a good deal and transfer my number but I'm not ready to yet.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
This worked 10+ years ago but Pay Phones hardly exist anymore (and the few that do are privately serviced through very expensive providers) I'm about the only person I work with that has a true landline (VOIP is not a landline in my book) and I'm thinking of getting rid of it if I can get a good deal and transfer my number but I'm not ready to yet.

Unfortunately Cellphones on a teen hands are most of the time more harm than good, Granted...BUT in this age in time they are a necessity.

Older teen is in college an hour away, Younger teen is a senior in high school, In theory justifiable to keep them with cellphones.

In reality: Their cellphones are 99% used to stream music, Facebook and friends texting....Less than 1% is used to keep in touch with relatives or real needs.

That is the reality

I compare a Cellphone with a Gun: A Gun can be very usufull when needed , but in the wrong hands could do a lot of damage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living