U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM

74 posts, read 58,287 times

Advertisements

I dont know if this link is allowed..
http://www.rent.com/arkansas/fayette...splay-mode=map

Im going to move to Fayetteville AR

I am starting over, later in life (52). Im going to try to be as frugal as I can, because I will need to learn skills and develop a resume to get a job. Arkansas has a WAGE program for people like me to earn a certificate for free that local employers look favorably on for hire.

That is the plan but I dont really know what best to do.

In the link I have apartments under 500 dollars. I dont really want to rent with someone else at this stage in my life. Perhaps after living there I can find a suitable older person to live with to split costs.

Here city data says it is average crime
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Arkansas.html

What should I do? Should I get the cheapest studio or one bedroom to rent? Or should I spend 50 or 75 more to get a nicer apartment?

Should I live somewhere only shortterm for 6 months or so to get a better lay of the land and ultimately what kind of job/career I can have in the future? And where that it located.

Sorry for so many questions. Im not sure how to proceed. Im now living in Branson MO at 399 rent super safe no problem 1 bedroom. But dont have the kinds of helps and opportunities here that this move will afford.

Thanks for advice for this older soon to be on her own in life going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 02:20 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
I dont know if this link is allowed..
http://www.rent.com/arkansas/fayette...splay-mode=map

Im going to move to Fayetteville AR

I am starting over, later in life (52). Im going to try to be as frugal as I can, because I will need to learn skills and develop a resume to get a job. Arkansas has a WAGE program for people like me to earn a certificate for free that local employers look favorably on for hire.

That is the plan but I dont really know what best to do.

In the link I have apartments under 500 dollars. I dont really want to rent with someone else at this stage in my life. Perhaps after living there I can find a suitable older person to live with to split costs.

Here city data says its is average crime
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Arkansas.html

What should I do? Should I get the cheapest studio or one bedroom to rent? Or should I spend 50 or 75 more to get a nicer apartment?

Should I live somewhere only shortterm for 6 months or so to get a better lay of the land and ultimately what kind of job/career I can have in the future? And where that it located.

Sorry for so many questions. Im not sure how to proceed. Im now living in Branson MO at 399 rent super safe no problem 1 bedroom. But dont have the kinds of helps and opportunities here that this move will afford.

Thanks for advice for this older soon to be on her own in life going forward.

If you don't have a long-term job, I'd suggest doing a short-term sublease.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:46 PM

Wow that was fast nicole. I will look to see if there are any that are not with roomates. Fayetteville has a heavy student population.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Are you sure Arkansas will provide free schooling for people who move in from out of state just to get free programs? Often state paid education is only free to residents.

Before you move, you'd better be sure you don't have to establish residency in order to get the free program.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 AM

Thanks oregonwoodsmoke for thinking of me. I am doing that. I call on the phone, sent emails, and noone gets back to me. So yes, I am going in person to find out for sure. But I need to know, if it is available to me if I sign a lease or I need to be there for 6 months or what have you.

BTW I want to make this a permanent move.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 AM

1,592 posts, read 824,185 times
Quote:
Or should I spend 50 or 75 more to get a nicer apartment?
I'd pay more for a nicer place. Here are some considerations, random ones. Top floor apartments mean nobody walking around above you making noise (especially if hardwood floors). Bottom floor apartments mean you could save on utility bills, since the person above you helps you heat your place (if utilities aren't included). Is there a lot of free parking? Pay a visit on a busy Friday evening, see if all the spots are full. Complexes mean you're less likely to run into a weirdo landlord. Complexes also mean you're less likely to run into an amazing landlord. Essentially, complexes mean less variation.

Those are off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:31 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
When I lived in apartments, I always selected apartment complexes where the residents had tidy balconies with plants/patio furniture, etc. It indicated that the residents weren't slobs; they were people who would help to keep the buildings tidy (not toss trash in the common areas, etc). I also drove by the building at odd times, especially evenings and weekends to see what the "night life" was likely to be like.

Complexes mean that there is more likely to be professional, onsite maintenance. You are also less likely to find a great deal in a complex, as opposed to a rental from an individual.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Very good advice. Thank you for this.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:14 PM

3,975 posts, read 3,138,486 times
Quote:
Very good advice. Thank you for this.
The place you're thinking about moving to is a college town. Your neighbors are probably college students if you're within 5 mile radius from the school. But, it's generally a save place.

Yes, I seriously doubt that they will train someone from out of state for free. Get confirmation. Even better, get it in writing or some sort of written commitment before you sign a lease. There are many places what would do short term leases similar to a semester to accommodate students. You just have to ask if they will do that.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:27 PM

This is what it says

Workforce Alliance for Growth in the Economy (WAGE) is a State (Arkansas) Certified program intended for unemployed and the under-employed people in Arkansas. To earn a state WAGE Industrial Certificate, students have to meet several requirements.

So yes Ive got to find out all the requirements, and hope there is somewhere that has it in writing.

If I get an apartment, get an Arkansas drivers license, I am a resident. I will make sure of that before I move. I hope to get there next week to determine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living