Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:28 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

I do a variation of that. I am allergic to peanut butter, so none of that for me!

I just boil some old fashioned oatmeal and add water (2:1 ratio of water to oatmeal). Once it boils, I stir it around for a minute or two, then turn the the heat off. Then I slice up a banana and throw it in. I also add turmeric (good for preventing alzheimers and dementia), cinnamon (good for blood sugar), and sesame seeds (also good for you). Cheap & nutritious. Works for me.

When I'm really ambitious, I slice up an orange, but bananas are a lot faster to slice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
So the one universal food that everyone pretty much recommends for a cheap & healthy breakfast is: oatmeal

Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Oatmeal. $0.25 per bowl. I know because I worked it out once. + whey protein shake $0.87 serving and enough protein as if you had 1/4 chicken dinner.
Carbs and protein done for about 430calories. Add 90cals if you drink milk $0.18 per 8oz glass. If you need fat in your diet then go whole milk.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I do a variation of that. I am allergic to peanut butter, so none of that for me!

I just boil some old fashioned oatmeal and add water (2:1 ratio of water to oatmeal). Once it boils, I stir it around for a minute or two, then turn the the heat off. Then I slice up a banana and throw it in. I also add turmeric (good for preventing alzheimers and dementia), cinnamon (good for blood sugar), and sesame seeds (also good for you). Cheap & nutritious. Works for me.

When I'm really ambitious, I slice up an orange, but bananas are a lot faster to slice.
I can't do peanut butter (or any nut butter) due to allergies. Since you can do sesame seeds, have you tried Tahini? It's pretty darn good. I also use Sunflower Seed butter. Good stuff!

To respond to the original post: I agree with the oatmeal, plain or doctored up. A good source of fiber and filling, too. I'll usually have a pear or an orange with it. I'll also do toast with either Tahini or Sunflower Seed butter for a bit of protein. The Tahini and SS butter aren't as cheap as peanut butter but I have to compromise somewhere. A little goes a long way which helps.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
Boiled eggs. I can get a dozen under $2 dollars.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Most (not all) mornings it is 2 hard boiled eggs, flavored with a bit of salt & pepper

Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I can't do peanut butter (or any nut butter) due to allergies. Since you can do sesame seeds, have you tried Tahini? It's pretty darn good. I also use Sunflower Seed butter. Good stuff!
Nope, I've never used tahini. I don't even know where to buy it, lol.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
So the one universal food that everyone pretty much recommends for a cheap & healthy breakfast is: oatmeal
Yep. Despite all their protests to the contrary, most people know how to eat cheaply and nutritiously. They just don't want to.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Nope, I've never used tahini. I don't even know where to buy it, lol.
I get it at Winco, in the peanut butter section. It's always on the top shelf since it's not a mainstream item, I guess. Health food stores have it too. It's next to the almond butter. Some brands call it sesame seed butter. Hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:10 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I don't need validated proof. Non organic food has or may have pesticides sprayed on it. I don't want to ingest pesticides, no matter the amount or whether or not they have been tested. Organic food cannot have pesticides sprayed on it.

Its really that simple.

so true and also, foods grown organically have more antioxidants and minerals due to healthier soils. If you eat conventional produce (yes I still do) more than likely it's from farms that don't rotate crops/add compost thus diminishing soil quality.

a fried pasture egg w/toast coffee and water
soaked oats overnight and cooked up with nuts and splash of maple syrup
homemade gluten free pancakes w/fruit (either strawberries, blueberries or winter squash)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living