U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,724,996 times

Advertisements

An apple, an orange, or a banana. Quick, cheap, healthy. Add some cottage cheese if you want for a protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM

2,933 posts, read 1,432,939 times
Vanilla? In frugal living? Costco charges $20 for 16 ounces of vanilla extract. Yet that seems to be a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
plain greek yogurt with banana, cinnamon,nutmeg, vanilla and walnuts pieces

Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM

11,416 posts, read 13,961,436 times
I usually eat Oatmeal (no sugar) with walnuts, blackberries and then a bagel with a little butter.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:43 PM

306 posts, read 321,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Vanilla? In frugal living? Costco charges $20 for 16 ounces of vanilla extract. Yet that seems to be a great price.
A couple drops of vanilla is cheaper and healthier than buying vanilla flavored yogurt. I buy a little bottle from trader joes and it lasts a long time, a big bottle would probably expire before I used it all

Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM

294 posts, read 214,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you are interested in frugal, you'll save a lot of money buying your quick oats in bulk instead of paying a premium price for the little packets.
This.

Plus you would have less waste cause the bulk would just come in one bag

Old 05-19-2016, 04:24 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Until I had to restrict my starch intake I really liked "steel cut oats" porridge with sugar and, when available, light cream and buttered (not margarine) wheat toast. Pure ambrosia. Now I am satisfied with a couple of fried eggs with a side of bacon or a egg, ham and cheese omelet. All this with a lot of fresh ground coffee sometimes with a wee bit of Irish.

Might as well live well while we are alive. Hell, we all die eventually.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,412,254 times
two eggs, 2 Farmer John links from the Dollar Tree, toast, coffee, OJ.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 AM

30,332 posts, read 31,201,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I found a breakfast plan that works for me and its been filling and not expensive. And good for you depending on your diet.

The key is getting a ceramic 16oz mug so you can microwave if you have no hot water on-hand. After brewing and drinking my own stevia-sweetened organic coffee, I dump a packet of unsweetened organic oatmeal and 6 oz of boiling or close to boiling water into the cup. Let it sit 5 mins. Add a tablespoon of organic peanut butter (should have low salt and no sugar), organic cinnamon, and a few organic raisins or a tiny amount of honey (local, raw honey and you only need a little). Organic maple syrup (just a drop) also gives a different flavor from honey for variety. Mix while hot and enjoy.

Its got a good mix of protein, fat, and fiber to keep you full, but very little sugar which seems to be the enemy for most people including me. I've calculated it to be about 5-7 grams of sugar. You can keep peanut butter, cinnamon, etc unrefrigerated in your desk drawer if you have to eat at your desk at work and packet oatmeal is cheap and lasts a long time. I get my boiling water from the Keurig at work or the water cooler hot button.

And best of all it tastes like a peanut butter oatmeal raisin cookie!
I dislike peanut butter. But I do find that in the cold weather months that eating a bowl of (plain) oatmeal (with cinnamon, a bit of sugar & nonfat milk) is healthy, filling and financially economically.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:43 AM

64,629 posts, read 66,129,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I have to add so much junk to my oatmeal to get it tolerable that ir probably isn't healthy anymore.

My doctor told me to quit eating toast for breakfast so now I eat a hard boiled egg with about 6 oz of juice and then some water. I have second breakfast an hour or two later. That is a small portion of leftovers or a cucumber or a banana or something to hold me over until lunch.
oat meal reminds me of eating the saw dust from the butchers floor

Old 05-24-2016, 05:45 AM

64,629 posts, read 66,129,695 times
being pre diabetic i pretty much eat the same thing every day .

whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and 2 hard boiled eggs .

some times two small whole grain waffles with 3 or 4 turkey sausage .

then i hit the gym and when i come home , plain yogurt with some fruit in it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or