U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:29 AM

1,329 posts, read 504,947 times

Advertisements

Best cheap breakfast that's good for you? A couple eggs fixed however you like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 01:01 AM

654 posts, read 1,096,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
So the one universal food that everyone pretty much recommends for a cheap & healthy breakfast is: oatmeal
Not me.

Used to be an oatmeal guy (also cereal & toast) before going Ketogenic. Now that I've cut out sugar & grains that kept me on the 'carb train' so I was always hungry, couldn't be happier. Weirdest part was cutting out bread, but now I've adjusted; my chronic pain of 15-20 years is gone. With inflammation gone, I feel 20 years younger. Pretty much cut out any white stuff, including sugars & grains that cause glycemic load. No more cereal, toast, bagels or oats for me. Most fruits are out (too much sugar), a big exception being pomegranates which are a superfood.

For me, it's 3 eggs fried or prepared as an omelet with a thin slice of cheese in the middle. Then some coffee, either black or iced coffee with a sugar-free creamer. Lasts me 'til midday, a trip to the gym later on then a salad, protein & more fat for replenishment. My last trip to Costco for ingredients:
5 dozen eggs - about 50 cents/dozen or about 4 cents/egg.
5 pound brick of cheese, $1.57/pound
Coffee - Yuban Gold, $6.79 for 44 oz can ($2.47/lb) for iced coffee, Rwandan beans ($5.00/lb) for black coffee

3 eggs - about 12 cents, thin slice of cheese - about 5 cents, cup of coffee - about 10 cents or so whether Yuban + creamer or black Rwandan. Breakfast for under 30 cents & it gets me through a good chunk of the day. Occasionally will sprinkle a little Louisiana Hot Sauce on top; most often, though, it's a great way to use a couple of the huge surplus of Del Taco sauce packets to liven it up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Vanilla? In frugal living? Costco charges $20 for 16 ounces of vanilla extract. Yet that seems to be a great price.
For anyone that occasionally goes to Mexico or travels near the border, work this into your plans. I've supplied the entire family & friends with one liter (33.8 oz) containers of vanilla better than any I find in the US ... for the grand total of about $4 per container. That's for the better stuff. You can find cheaper varieties for $2.50-$3.00 (my point of reference is Los Algodones near Yuma - other locations may be different).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
Best cheap breakfast that's good for you? A couple eggs fixed however you like them.
Agreed 100%. Eggs are one of the best foods you can find. Very affordable source of protein & a nice mix of essential stuff.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 AM

473 posts, read 283,357 times
Mexican egg burrito with jalapeno, oatmeal or homemade egg mcmuffins (meat or no meat) are all good ones.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
I typically just have a granola bar and piece of fruit.

Been buying the granola bars from Aldis for about $1.49 a box(12 bars). Been considering making my own.. But not sure if there would be a big savings or not.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM

429 posts, read 248,193 times
Hard to beat that price when you consider all ingredients that go into these bars.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 PM

378 posts, read 319,371 times
My daily breakfast is 4 to 5 eggs, only one yoke over easy medium in butter. A piece of fruit on the side, mango, papaya or melon. Once in awhile I'll have a slice of toast with peanut butter with my eggs. Sometimes I'll do my eggs scrambled. A high protein meal is the best way to start your day!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:50 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I've been doing a lot of steel cut oats (I hate oatmeal made from rolled oats, but porridge from steel cut is much more tasty and a better texture), prepped in the rice cooker. I usually toss in a scoop of dried fruit, almonds, and walnuts before starting the cook cycle. That and a cup of full-fat whole milk Greek yogurt, and I'm usually good until midafternoon.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 PM

908 posts, read 504,908 times
Oatmeal. Bought some today. $1.67 for 10 packs. That is less than .17 per day.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Oatmeal. Bought some today. $1.67 for 10 packs. That is less than .17 per day.
I buy my Steel Cut Oats in Bulk, <$0.05/day
cinnamon is cheap, and good for you too!.

Of course, today is mid season wildberries in PNW we_tside of Cascades, FREE is a pretty good price.

Dropped by the local Indian Fishery today, so will have Salmon (Steelhead) Omelet / hash tomorrow for breakfast. W/ fresh berries of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or