Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Egg, any style, on multigrain toast and yogurt drizzled with honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 PM

372 posts, read 576,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
plain greek yogurt with banana, cinnamon,nutmeg, vanilla and walnuts pieces
I do nearly the same except use frozen cherries or blueberries I get in big bags from Costco.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I don't know how anyone can be frugal and buy everything organic. And Stevia is pricey!

I soft boil an egg and put it on one toast with some butter every morning. Cheap,yummy and filling. I need protein or I'm hungry again in no time. Cereal doesn't cut it for me.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Stevia grows in the yard, so that's free. When you grow it yourself and powder it, you end up with green stevia, but the price is right and you know it's not got strange chemicals on it or added to it. But we can't really grow grains around here so no oatmeal from the garden. We do have a flaker, though, so we can buy bulk oat groats and flatten them. They taste better when they're fresh. Although there's chickens out in the yard, so if we're being frugal, then eggs are cheaper than oatmeal.

Coffee's pretty cheap, too, since it grows in the yard as well, although we usually buy it from our friend since she grows the stuff and has it processed and roasted. Lately we've been drinking a lot of peppermint tea from the garden, but that wouldn't quite wake us up as well as the coffee.

Another tasty breakfast option is a loco moco. Start out with a scoop of rice (around here rice is made so it's sticky and you can scoop it kinda like ice cream), put a hamburger patty on top of that, then an egg fried sunny side up and then brown gravy all over. Add ketchup or soy sauce to taste. Guaranteed stomach stun, but it's tasty. You can also substitute all sorts of things for the hamburger patty - fish, spam, bacon, whatever meat sort of thing you want.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:23 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Stevia grows in the yard, so that's free. When you grow it yourself and powder it, you end up with green stevia, but the price is right and you know it's not got strange chemicals on it or added to it. But we can't really grow grains around here so no oatmeal from the garden. We do have a flaker, though, so we can buy bulk oat groats and flatten them. They taste better when they're fresh. Although there's chickens out in the yard, so if we're being frugal, then eggs are cheaper than oatmeal.

Coffee's pretty cheap, too, since it grows in the yard as well, although we usually buy it from our friend since she grows the stuff and has it processed and roasted. Lately we've been drinking a lot of peppermint tea from the garden, but that wouldn't quite wake us up as well as the coffee.

Another tasty breakfast option is a loco moco. Start out with a scoop of rice (around here rice is made so it's sticky and you can scoop it kinda like ice cream), put a hamburger patty on top of that, then an egg fried sunny side up and then brown gravy all over. Add ketchup or soy sauce to taste. Guaranteed stomach stun, but it's tasty. You can also substitute all sorts of things for the hamburger patty - fish, spam, bacon, whatever meat sort of thing you want.
Yum, I love sticky rice. I always cook it so it's sticky.

I'm jealous of your garden.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Breakfast burrito for the win!
Hold on there angry person. I'll raise you one slice of cold leftover pizza and a tall glass of orange juice!

Old 03-26-2016, 01:16 AM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
I prepared ramen with a sunny-side up egg in it. It was like 5-7 minutes for a warm ramen breakfast.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 AM

231 posts, read 213,134 times
A glass of Coconut Milk
A small red apple and a small orange.
Total cost - $1.08

Old 03-26-2016, 05:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I found a breakfast plan that works for me and its been filling and not expensive. And good for you depending on your diet.

The key is getting a ceramic 16oz mug so you can microwave if you have no hot water on-hand. After brewing and drinking my own stevia-sweetened organic coffee, I dump a packet of unsweetened organic oatmeal and 6 oz of boiling or close to boiling water into the cup. Let it sit 5 mins. Add a tablespoon of organic peanut butter (should have low salt and no sugar), organic cinnamon, and a few organic raisins or a tiny amount of honey (local, raw honey and you only need a little). Organic maple syrup (just a drop) also gives a different flavor from honey for variety. Mix while hot and enjoy.

Its got a good mix of protein, fat, and fiber to keep you full, but very little sugar which seems to be the enemy for most people including me. I've calculated it to be about 5-7 grams of sugar. You can keep peanut butter, cinnamon, etc unrefrigerated in your desk drawer if you have to eat at your desk at work and packet oatmeal is cheap and lasts a long time. I get my boiling water from the Keurig at work or the water cooler hot button.

And best of all it tastes like a peanut butter oatmeal raisin cookie!
you can probably save 30% buying non organic, just saying. My daughter is doing a study comparing regular to organic between walmart and whole foods for her economics class. it will be an interesting read.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
EGGLY-WEGGLIES.........didn't you watch Clockwork-Orange???????

Beef-liver is a close second!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living