U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 PM

149 posts, read 307,360 times

Advertisements

I was born outside USA
I have visited all continents

I would NOT move out of USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
The cheapest place to have an American lifestyle is in a smaller town in rural America, especially if it is a place with decent weather so no high heating or cooling bills.

Citizens of third world countries live on a lot less money, but they have a different lifestyle. If you want to live their lifestyle, you can live cheap. But you can also live their lifestyle inside the USA and live really cheap.

I don't know much about Asian countries, except that there can be visa problems. The South American countries, aren't all that inexpensive and theft is an acceptable way of life. If you want to have any amenities that you are used to from the USA, they can be expensive places to live. Amenities like heat and air conditioning, electronics, internet, automobiles, water and plumbing.....

Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM

7,191 posts, read 5,259,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
No idea how cable, cell, Internet service, etc compare, but all those things are somewhat optional.
The US has rather notoriously high cell phone and internet service prices (especially cell), even compared to western European countries.

We pay way more (roughly double in the case of internet access) and get less.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,311,669 times
You would miss the first class medical care as you age. I see it happen a lot in Central and South America.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
I was born in the United States of America and I will die in the United States of America.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:11 AM

2,479 posts, read 1,706,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Depends....

Haircut in US: 30 dollars
Haircut in India: 30 rupees (less than 50 cents US)

Healthcare is also dramatically cheaper overseas, especially prescriptions. If you have money for a comfortable retirement here, there are many parts of the world where you could go live like a king. The question is whether you actually want to live in those places.
I paid $15 for a haircut when I was living in a NY suburb less than 5 years ago and currently pay $6 at a hair cutting school. While it's not 50 cents, it's still way less than your stated cost.

Where do you live?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:48 AM

11,920 posts, read 13,245,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The US has rather notoriously high cell phone and internet service prices (especially cell), even compared to western European countries.

We pay way more (roughly double in the case of internet access) and get less.
That's true of many things in America. It seems to be the American way.

Food/agriculture would be an exception, thanks to all the subsidies and immigrant/undocumented labor. Consumer goods would be another, since we are making less in this country and taking advantage of incredibly low wages elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 AM

13,349 posts, read 7,115,490 times
It's cheap to live in rural America because there is absolutely nothing to do there but ride your three-wheelers and whittle wood! I'm only exaggerating slightly. It obviously depends on your idea of "rural". I grew up in a town of 2,000 that was the biggest town in the county of 8,000 people - there are places more rural than that.

But, the nearest "mall" (if you could call it that) - of about 20 stores was 20 miles away...as was the nearest pizza, McDonalds, WalMart, Kmart, movie theater, ANYTHING! So I guess the gas would cost you if you wanted to do that stuff. And you can say you don't want fast food anyway...well, you don't want casual dining OR fine dining either! There was no casual or fine dining until you went out at least 50 miles. All you've got is maybe a pool hall/tavern, a bowling alley, and a home-run greasy spoon/diner - and that's not home-cooked food that's frozen throw it in the deep-fryer food.

Never move to a rural area without spending a few months there covering all seasons...and be sure to check out the medical facilities - yeah - the nearest crappy hospital was also 20 miles away with a slightly better one 50 miles away.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 AM

5,170 posts, read 4,730,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You would miss the first class medical care as you age. I see it happen a lot in Central and South America.
I thought the medical care I got in Mexico was better than the US. YMMV.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM

91 posts, read 62,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was born in the United States of America and I will die in the United States of America.
Ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or