U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:52 AM

5,404 posts, read 5,082,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's cheap to live in rural America because there is absolutely nothing to do there but ride your three-wheelers and whittle wood! I'm only exaggerating slightly.
Nothing to think about, nothing to do, and nothing to be. Sounds wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM

13,763 posts, read 14,589,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
If I retired overseas, I would miss the following in America:

Movie Theatres
Large Shopping Centers
Golf Courses
Libraries
Bowling Alleys
Nice Parks with trails
A common language that most people speak, that I do too!
Ability to get in my car and drive to all kinds of interesting places
All the great restaurants (Including fast casual American chains they don't have overseas)
Great Healthcare
American Cable TV
Fast and reliable Internet
Adult Education classes

To me, I would have to save thousands of dollars to give up those things!
in Europe, in places like Paris, Rome, London, Madrid you have just about your entire list available to you.

ex pats over come the other issues by learning the local language.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:03 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,751,675 times
Andy Graham is perpetual traveler....107 countries...18 years...normally not more than 3 months in one place... About Andy Lee Graham the HoboTraveler.com website and YouTube vlogs https://www.youtube.com/user/HoboTraveler/videos ... there is a wealth of info. in his writings and videos. It is one on one with no sales gimmicks or hidden agendas. Your answer lies there.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The cheapest place to have an American lifestyle is in a smaller town in rural America, especially if it is a place with decent weather so no high heating or cooling bills. Citizens of third world countries live on a lot less money, but they have a different lifestyle. If you want to live their lifestyle, you can live cheap. But you can also live their lifestyle inside the USA and live really cheap.
And if you like to be away from people, that is easy as well. I'd pick the higher elevation parts of the SW. If you build your hovel properly you won't need AC and very little heat (wood stove). Composting toilet. Solar for electricity. Put in a holding tank and have water hauled. Piece of cake. You'll need a functional vehicle for trips to town, but if you don't do that often, the cost would be minimal.

I investigated living in Mexico, Peru, and Ecuador. Like you mentioned, it's cheap to live like a native, but costs ramp up quickly if you want "normal" things. Plus I'd need to learn Spanish and I suck at languages.

At the other end of the spectrum is the ability to live like a king there on a modest income. You could have a fancy estate and hire a bunch of servants for a lot less than in the US. Even have a few concubines! But I'm not in a financial situation to afford that, and I don't think my wife would approve of the concubines...

Old 04-16-2016, 11:55 AM

12,582 posts, read 13,988,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Here's some interesting figures on this

Counting the Uncountable: Overseas Americans | migrationpolicy.org

Interesting article. The box "What's in a Name?" made me smile. The first sentence of the second paragraph identifies exactly why I never, never call myself an "expatriate."

I always say I am an emigrant from the U.S. As far as my neighbors are concerned I fall under the catch-all umbrella of "foreigner."

Old 04-16-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I read that many people are moving overseas in retirement to live frugally. An interesting concept. But if you moved to the a cheap low cost of living place like in South America- is it actually cheaper than living in a small town in a low cost of living place in the south?

Anyone on this board move overseas to live frugally because you determined it is cheaper than anyplace in America? Tell us about it!
I've told my story too often by now to try to retail it again. But I found that of all the areas of the U.S. that would have pleased me I would have had to live very carefully by U.S. standards. I would not, by the way, have been satisfied to live "anyplace in America", any more than I would live "anyplace" in you-name-the-country. By being willing to transfer those American standards I would have had to accept to Portugal, I actually got to live much better....and with the pleasure of having a new, exciting adventure in retirement.

And for several reasons over the years, have prospered more in retirement than I ever did in my working life.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
If I retired overseas, I would miss the following in America:

Movie Theatres
Large Shopping Centers
Golf Courses
Libraries
Bowling Alleys
Nice Parks with trails
A common language that most people speak, that I do too!
Ability to get in my car and drive to all kinds of interesting places
All the great restaurants (Including fast casual American chains they don't have overseas)
Great Healthcare
American Cable TV
Fast and reliable Internet
Adult Education classes

To me, I would have to save thousands of dollars to give up those things!
Where have you pictured this "overseas" to be? In rural Botswana?

Of your "I would misses" What I do not have in my area: a (public) English language library, a bowling alley, and Adult Education classes. I skipped the language point as I find the idea of learning enough of a foreign language to be able to navigate around is zero burden, unless you are hog lazy.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 PM

15,049 posts, read 8,401,067 times
Quote:
I read that many people are moving overseas in retirement to live frugally. An interesting concept. But if you moved to the a cheap low cost of living place like in South America- is it actually cheaper than living in a small town in a low cost of living place in the south?

Anyone on this board move overseas to live frugally because you determined it is cheaper than anyplace in America? Tell us about it!
I think, like with most things, if you're ONLY doing them to save money you'll end up being dissatisfied. You have to really enjoy the culture and the people and hopefully learn the language. Otherwise you're just an American "out of water" complaining about the food, and the weird customs, and whatnot. You have to appreciate your new country for WHAT IT IS - because it is NOT the U.S. And it will cost you a LOT of money to try to recreate the U.S. in another country so don't try to fool yourself.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think, like with most things, if you're ONLY doing them to save money you'll end up being dissatisfied. You have to really enjoy the culture and the people and hopefully learn the language. Otherwise you're just an American "out of water" complaining about the food, and the weird customs, and whatnot. You have to appreciate your new country for WHAT IT IS - because it is NOT the U.S. And it will cost you a LOT of money to try to recreate the U.S. in another country so don't try to fool yourself.
BINGO!!! That's it. If you are just doing it for the money saved, you are damned, doomed, lost.

I live where there are many expats who have done it for the savings, and they spend so much time whining and complaining they are people I flee from immediately. Many people have extremely rigid ideas of what is necessary for their comfort and happiness and have never tested these, and in that case I am convinced it is far, far better for them to stay in their own country and make their adjustments on familiar ground.

My personal feeling on the matter is that unless you are really excited about living in some particular place abroad after you have researched it to death on the internet and visited and toured it, then stay put...unless you just have several years of vacation residency in mind.

I was born and raised in the U.S., and became quite disenchanted with what it became in the closing decades of the 20th century, so I left for a place that really appealed to me. Not only do I not have the slightest interest in going back to the U.S., I do not believe that I would be psychologically able to make all of the negative adjustments. Thus, my shoe is on the other foot.

Last edited by kevxu; 04-16-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
By being willing to transfer those American standards I would have had to accept to Portugal, I actually got to live much better....and with the pleasure of having a new, exciting adventure in retirement.
Can you tell us more about living in Portugal? Adjustment, COL, what you like and dislike the most vs the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or