U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 06:33 PM

289 posts, read 856,901 times

Advertisements

I've been researching overseas retirement for years, literally looked at every place worth considering. What finally won me over is Southeastern Europe, especially Serbia. Wife and I won't stand out, majority of the population speaks fair to very good English, very fast internet available, good food, nice cities, violent crime rate comparable to Canada, couple can live very comfortably on $1000 a month. Not perfect by any means, but plenty good enough. And with discount airlines can visit the popular European cities very affordably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 06:36 PM

289 posts, read 856,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Anyone considering moving abroad should be aware of political actions in the US to limit retirement payments (pensions, social security, medicare/ medicaid) to people not domiciled within the US or even (for state or local pension payments) within certain states.

As budgets contract, lawmakers will look for the low-hanging fruit to cut, and people domiciled abroad will be likely among those cut.
Highly unlikely and most likely illegal to even attempt.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:35 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Medicare is available only in the fifty states and territories with a few exceptions.

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/.../cms1490s-english-instructions- foreigntravel.pdf

I would doubt that Medicaid would be any different.

As for pensions and social security, that would be very doubtful and would be challenged in court immediately. Like many of the states that have tried to reduce pension benefits, it pretty much can not be unilaterally done other than through a bankruptcy filing.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,734,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
What finally won me over is Southeastern Europe, especially Serbia.
The PPP ratio is 2.65x the US$ which means your money should go a long way. The climate unfortunately is about like Iowa.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:50 PM

9,068 posts, read 9,225,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The PPP ratio is 2.65x the US$ which means your money should go a long way. The climate unfortunately is about like Iowa.
The PPP ratio for Mexico in 2005 is 1.45x the US$ which is not as high.

But that is a broad economic measure. We all know that the cost of living in Iowa compared to Manhattan is radically different. But there is a single uniform measure for USA. Same as Mexico. You have some very rich people in Mexico City.

There is an episode of Lillyhammer where the Mafia sends some hitmen to Norway. Aldo Delucci:Pack your lederhosen boys, you're goin' to Norway. The hitmen beat up (or shoot, I can't remember) a gas station attendant when he charges them for a tank fill up. They can't believe gas costs that much in Norway.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-24-2016 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 05:04 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,710,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
it seems to me that a lord of the ex-pats are folks with limited resources
they would not be in the Philippines or Thailand if they have sizeable retirement, would they?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 PM

4,536 posts, read 2,303,654 times
There are so many variables in retiring overseas compared to cheaper places in the US. There are some really cheap places that are decent in the US. My uncle retired to Florida, lives in a really nice 60+ community. Don't remember the town name, but he lives in a quite nice double wide that he bought cheap. Hoa is cheap and takes care of everything. They have community trips to various places. He loves it there. He's not poor, but I think he only spends about $1500 a month, probably less.

I have another friend of a friend who retired to the Philippines and lives on less, but American food isn't as available, healthcare isn't as good, Internet is spotty, but he loves the local food, people are friendly, and just generally overall he loves it. Retiring overseas is not for everyone, it will be more risky and more adventuresome, but some people like that aspect.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
they would not be in the Philippines or Thailand if they have sizeable retirement, would they?

There are MANY reasons under the sun as to why people choose to live where they live. A good number of the Americans who are ex-pats in the Philippines and Thailand do so because they enjoy the lifestyle that they live over there.

Four years ago, a friend of mine sold off his CPA practice in Los Angeles and moved to Goa, India. He is running an NGO in India and having an absolute blast.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 PM

24,731 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Depends....

Haircut in US: 30 dollars
Haircut in India: 30 rupees (less than 50 cents US).
The haircut price is inflated. I pay $18 for my haircut in high cost California, and that includes a $3 tip.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 PM

24,731 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Citizens of third world countries live on a lot less money, but they have a different lifestyle. If you want to live their lifestyle, you can live cheap. But you can also live their lifestyle inside the USA and live really cheap.

This is true, but it misses a lot of context. It's easier to live a low or no-spending lifestyle when everyone around you is doing the same. I.E. If everyone takes the bus and few people own cars, the bus tends to be convenient and nobody thinks you're odd for using it. If nobody spends money on eating out or at various entertainment venues for socializing, then nobody thinks you're weird or a cheap stick-in-the mud for not going out to a bar and having a potluck get together at your home, etc.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-28-2016 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or