U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,324,398 times

Advertisements

I must say I am learning a lot about car and when things were redesigned & getting good idea about cars in general. i have also never test drove car and most of my idea about cars come from hearing other people opinion. this "research" phase is giving me chance to form my own idea about what I like and what I don't like.

I am not a bargain shopper all the time. I do naturally incline toward it but over the years i learned in some place its just not worth it. Like in my early 20's i was a clearance rack shopper only or end of season shopper but as i got older, i realize size changes within a season & i don't have space for too many clothes. So i might naturally be inclined to clearance rack but quickly i will move away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 PM

6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Maybe I am not ready to settle for my "needs" only when my "want" list is higher. I have been going in circle for while trying to figure out exactly what I want & how much i want to spend on it. I thought i knew what i want, something basic that meets my needs without raising eyebrows on why i went so cheap when I can afford better. But then i have friends/family who are constantly telling me "don't go for another basic car, you should upgrade". seeing my husband's disinterested face when I drag him to test drive car makes me question my decision even more.
Remind yourself that it's going to be YOUR car. Not your friends' car or your husband's car, but YOUR car. If the car fits your budget and it pleases YOU, that's all that matters. Ignore any raised eyebrows. Not everyone feels the desire to spend a lot of money on a fancy car, and that is absolutely fine!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,324,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Remind yourself that it's going to be YOUR car. Not your friends' car or your husband's car, but YOUR car. If the car fits your budget and it pleases YOU, that's all that matters. Ignore any raised eyebrows. Not everyone feels the desire to spend a lot of money on a fancy car, and that is absolutely fine!

That is my biggest problem, being confident in my decision. I am always looking for validation, approval of my decision from those around me. It use to be my mom, now its my husband plus mom. Every time I make big decision it takes me few circle to go around before come to this conclusion to make the decision for myself/by myself. Once that realization hits me, I am usually pretty good at going with my gut instinct. But the next time I am in similar situation, I some how forget everything I learned & go back to looking at others reaction/approval before I finalize things. At age 30, one would expect I learned my lesson.

I really never cared to take part in rat race, to compete with others. I learned at young age, I am different & have different choose. I prefer frugal choose, it makes me happy not just at saving money but I just naturally like cheaper things. I also learned that if I am happy people will see my happiness without questioning my choose. Lately, last few months I find myself being jealous (envious) of my friends, constantly comparing my life to others. I don't know what lead to this downward spiral, I need to shake it off. I need to be true to myself.

I would have been happy with standard car with few upgrades. I don't have high desire. But listening to my brothers, husband, & even my mother who is bit of a show off and later seeing my friends luxury cars made me question myself. But nope, I have no desire to be like them. Thank You for pointing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or