Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:33 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,694,663 times

Advertisements

I have always been frugal and always been analytical with all my decision especially purchase decision. I don't buy without research but sometimes I can go overboard. Usually going over board springs from my desire to save as much as possible or get the best deal. I have never been "I like, I buy" type of person & truth be, I don't want to be that person. But I don't want to be the person I am now who has a spread sheet of price analysis & tons of research taking up weeks to months for something that's that is small fraction of her/his income. I am also not "Which is the cheapest, I take that" type of person.

Anyone else have this issue where your desire to be frugal (not your need to save money but desire to get best deal) prevents you from making simple decision regarding money?

How did you/do you over come that?

Currently I am looking into buying a car & I am driving myself bit insane looking for best deal. I set a budget of spending 10-15K on a used car. Most good cars with only few years on it are closer to my upper limit of the budget but still with in limit yet I keep increasing my search time in hope of finding something closer to lower end of my budget. Why can't I just be happy at finding something with in the range I set. that I like instead of trying to push the lower limit

Last year I did the same when looking for new prescription eyeglasses. I was tried of paying $200 + eye insurance, so I searched everyone for best deal: Costco, local eye place, popular chain, online place. After 2 months I finally figure things out and benched that question. But I find these "looking for deal" project every year and give myself a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM

19 posts, read 32,633 times
Easy, set a time limit on your frugal search. I do the exact same thing as you do and hate it when I purchase something and a week or two later it goes down by $10... not even worth the time for me to wait the week but it still pissed me off.

I've overcome that by setting a time limit on my search. My last purchase was a laptop so I gave myself 2 weeks to find the "best deal" for the specs I wanted. After my time limit is up, I purchase the one I think is best and DON'T look back.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,955,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abistro View Post
Easy, set a time limit on your frugal search. I do the exact same thing as you do and hate it when I purchase something and a week or two later it goes down by $10... not even worth the time for me to wait the week but it still pissed me off.

I've overcome that by setting a time limit on my search. My last purchase was a laptop so I gave myself 2 weeks to find the "best deal" for the specs I wanted. After my time limit is up, I purchase the one I think is best and DON'T look back.

Good luck!
This! It lets you do the research but not get carried away with it!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
LOL, with the laptop decision, I researched, agonized a bit, and then went to the Technology forum here on CD and asked them. They advised me well. I am typing on my new laptop that I got on sale. AND to make things even better, I found the price at Best Buy and since we don't have a Best Buy close to us, I went to Staples with the Best Buy ad and Staples matched the price.

I usually give it about a month. If the previous laptop had been very close to dying, I would have just done the best I could.

It takes some planning and sometimes it's stressful trying to be frugal. But the feeling you get when you WIN is worth the work.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 PM

18,501 posts, read 15,487,453 times
The irony of the matter is....it is very easy to look up the fair value of a car. Not so with most other consumer goods - what is the fair value of a used desk chair? How do you look that up? What about a used bookshelf?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:50 AM

32,548 posts, read 47,663,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
........ I set a budget of spending 10-15K on a used car. ........ I keep increasing my search time in hope of finding something closer to lower end of my budget........
Shopping for a used car, you are doing it backwards. For a used car, you set your price limit and then you go out and try to find a car in great shape where everything works. The trick is to find one with no hidden damage or hidden repairs needed. You'll have a hard enough time finding that without worrying about saving $1,000 on the purchase price.

You find the car first and then you take out your smart phone and look up how much it is worth. Make an offer. I expect to get at least $1000 off the ask price. Be sure to make your offer contingent upon your own mechanic going over the car.

I'm pretty sure you can buy a brand new car for that 15K. You can buy a used BMW for under $10,000, so you should be able to find something in your price range.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,826,509 times
You need to get some other hobbies in your life or new friends or maybe a pet. Focusing exclusively on money is a no-win situation. Even if you are absolutely sure you got the best deal how long does your joy last? You need some balance.

My husband, like you, researches purchases to get the best product, not just the lowest price but the product will be a long-lasting, well-perfoming addition. He spent 2 years deciding on a new car and he is completely happy with it 5 years later. After the purchase he never looked at another car again. Like marriage huh? When you find your mate you shouldn't still be looking around, right?

We are frugal buyers but not to the point of everything else such as buying the ice cream we love not the cheapest.
Trust yourself, when you find the good deal TAKE IT. Trust your instincts and don't second-guess your decision.
You are aware that you have a problem, not a huge one but if you can overcome it you will be happier.

Do you love the things you buy at a frugal price? Enjoy that.
Do you brag to others about how cheap the dress/luggage/car you bought is? No one wants to hear it and it's usually coming from someone with self-esteem issues if they do it all the time. Everyone loves a great deal but not all the time and not to the point that it actually upsets you buying something.

Oscar Wilde said "A cynic is a person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
If you cannot find a car you like in your price range/budget then save longer for what you really want.
I think you do know "value" but just don't feel you deserve it. You do.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,560,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Usually going over board springs from my desire to save as much as possible or get the best deal.
If you really don't enjoy the search, it must be kind of a disease. The "I must get the best deal at all costs" disease. I see this on electronic deal sites. Guys who will actually go through the trouble of returning an item they just bought, if a $5 better deal comes up. Or rebates! Good lord, mail in rebates aren't free, they are a PITA.

The internet makes it easy to research just about anything. You don't need to agonize over it for months. I understand with something like used cars, you need to become fairly conversant in what you want and what is available, and the sort of prices that make a deal good or not so good. But it really doesn't matter that much. Not as much as checking the car over for major issues.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 PM

294 posts, read 335,739 times
Given your price point, I'd probably just get a reliable compact that wouldn't need repairs for the next 5 years or so. But that's just me.

With regards to researching products, I find that if I focus on my actual "needs" vs "wants," along with my set budget then it becomes easier to narrow down my options.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,694,663 times
Yes its ironic that i am researching so much when true value of car is easy to find yet some how i believe i can find better deal than average wishful thinking.

Maybe I am not ready to settle for my "needs" only when my "want" list is higher. I have been going in circle for while trying to figure out exactly what I want & how much i want to spend on it. I thought i knew what i want, something basic that meets my needs without raising eyebrows on why i went so cheap when I can afford better. But then i have friends/family who are constantly telling me "don't go for another basic car, you should upgrade". seeing my husband's disinterested face when I drag him to test drive car makes me question my decision even more. Then I see my friends with their fancy "financed" ride & I tell myself "I can afford this, why don't I expect better for myself. this is the time to enjoy instead of saving always". But next moment the realist in me kicks in and reminds me "its only a car & I have never been the showoff or keeping up type. if i go cheap now then next time I can go expensive".

It is just non-ending discussion in my head flipping from "life is too short, enjoy it now" to "materialistic things don't bring happiness to life, save now".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living