U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:28 PM

116 posts, read 71,642 times

Advertisements

No, cheaper isn't always the best decision. Other factors as well. Then there's the psychological benefit of what you'd like the best and really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girldawg1 View Post
No, cheaper isn't always the best decision. Other factors as well. Then there's the psychological benefit of what you'd like the best and really want.

An example----

When a was about 12, I wanted a radio. I really, really wanted one that cost $15, but I just had $10 My mother advised me to wait until I either saved the extra $5, or the price went down. I followed her advice and the radio actually went down to $12, and I had saved up the additional $3.

Mom's advice---If I really wanted the $15 radio but compromised for the $10 radio, I wasn't saving $5, I was wasting $10 because I would be buying something I really didn't want and would not be satisfied.

That lesson in "personal finance" has stayed with me all my life. Unless an immediate need, figure how to get what I really want, at a price I'm comfortable with. Thanks, Mom

Old 04-15-2016, 07:27 PM

33,546 posts, read 51,750,301 times
I consider myself frugal, but when it comes to things I want to enjoy for a long time - I want to buy quality.
Spend more money, but spend once. I don't want repeatedly buy the same thing, cheap.
However, this requires some willpower and patience to wait and save enough money to buy good quality.
It usually doesn't work for poor people who need stuff now, and cannot wait, or don't know how to save money.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 AM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
There are two philosophies about buying stuff. One is go for cheap, the second is get the more expensive in the hope it lasts longer. I know one who paid $300 for a coat and expects it to last 20 yr. Or you can buy secondhand coats for $10 every year. My father economized on many things, such as the size of the TV screen. I think ours was 12 inch. But not on theater tickets. We always had good seats.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:40 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,191,851 times
For me my frugalness involves buying what I want and need at the lowest price and best value. I buy on sale with discounts and coupons and even buy 2 or more of an item at the discounted price if it's something I use
often; that way I won't have to pay full price next time.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:36 PM

7,275 posts, read 15,279,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

For us, dh & I, are both early 60's, empty-nesters, and have moved into a small apartment. AC bills are lower due to the smaller size, and we've decided to keep it that way. We plan to buy a new home soon, but keep it small so we can run the AC to our satisfaction. At our age and state of health, I believe AC is essential for health. The lowered heat and humidity leads to lowered stress on the body and mentally, which should lead to more stable health. In our youth, AC was a luxury, for sissys. Now, its a health necessity, just like good food.
Keep in mind that energy costs depend as much on construction quality as they do on heated & cooled square footage. We used to live in a poorly insulated 1000sf townhouse; we bought a well-insulated 1700 sf home and have added other energy efficiency improvements to the home as old stuff like heat pimps and water heaters break. We pay $75-$100 less during peak usage months to heat or cool the house than we did to get similar temperatures in the townhouse.

As far as last minute flights go, it's not a bad idea to have a stash of airline miles with a carrier that does NOT have dollar-based redemption- ie. American/Delta/United instead of Southwest. That way you can do a bit of arbitrage with miles instead of money if you have to make an emergency flight somewhere. When Spousal Unit was trying last fall to figure out if he needed to fly out the next day to visit a sick father (father fortunately is much better now) 25K miles plus $80 from United or 32.5K miles from Delta beats last minute cash prices.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times
I think when buying a new mattress you should never be cheap, ever.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:30 AM

569 posts, read 336,791 times
I am looking at my stainless ramen cup with its stainless lid, and I hope they are the true silverwares.

But having them for a ramen bowl in the com China is simply asking for troubles.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:38 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,262,712 times
I agree, a lot of this depends on how someone defines frugal. We've adopted that mindset in order to save up some money and pay down some bills all at the same time. Going out to eat is a real money sapper, but we've found some cheaper places that we like, and you have to have things to do that you enjoy. One thing I learned the hard way is that when you buy something like an appliance or stuff for the home, get the very best. It will last so much longer that it pays for itself, and will generally be more enjoyable to use.

I've turned many an old mattress into a comfortable bed w/ a nice firm board between it and the box springs, and a couple of layers of that knobby mattress padding on the top. If that inexpensive fix doesn't work, then spring for an expensive mattress, but at least try fixing the old one first. No cheap sheets though. Buy some very good ones w/ a high thread count and they will last forever, and be so much smoother and softer than the inexpensive ones.

I used to own only the best Leica and Rolleiflex cameras and lenses. When we decided to save money I sold them and bought some very inexpensive gear (we're talking $20-$30 cameras here) and it was quite a surprise to see how well they worked w/ the right lenses and w/ the right developing and printing. An old Nikkormat w/ a 50 2.0 lens will take photos just as good as a Leica, and a 1938 Zeiss Ikon 6x6 folder will take tack sharp images that will have much more detail and clarity than the most expensive digital camera. Both can be purchased for less than $70, total.

Last edited by smarino; 04-17-2016 at 02:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 11:55 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,542,348 times
Frugal to me is trying to get a good deal, the best value for money. Trying to spend as little as possible is being cheap.

Quality is value to me, so often I am willing to spend more money for better quality and durability.

The mattress is a good example, sure you can be cheap and buy the cheapest one in the store, but it'll be miserable to sleep on and wear out quickly. You could spend more money and get a nicer one that will be comfortable and last longer- higher quality. To me the upgrade in quality makes it a better value, even though it's more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or