Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 06:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times

Advertisements

6 or so links for $1. Can't beat that with a stick. Hash browns too for a buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I have tried them...Don't get the maple flavored ones, they overdid the maple, can hardly taste the sausage...

Old 05-15-2016, 04:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
6 or so links for $1. Can't beat that with a stick. Hash browns too for a buck.

The Farmer John's links and the 12 oz bulk sausage are both pretty bad. You are paying for about 30% more fat than the national brands.

The ONLY Farmer John's product that I thought was good was the braunschweiger which is as good as any other brand.

I would assume that you are shopping at 99 Only stores. If you are, you should realize that occasionally, they sell the 16oz roll of Jimmy Dean's sausage for $1 and that is a smoking good deal.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The Farmer John's links and the 12 oz bulk sausage are both pretty bad. You are paying for about 30% more fat than the national brands.

The ONLY Farmer John's product that I thought was good was the braunschweiger which is as good as any other brand.

I would assume that you are shopping at 99 Only stores. If you are, you should realize that occasionally, they sell the 16oz roll of Jimmy Dean's sausage for $1 and that is a smoking good deal.
Assuming the fat leaks out during cooking is it still pretty bad?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Assuming the fat leaks out during cooking is it still pretty bad?

Let me put it very clearly.

Sausage is made of ground pork and seasonings. The critical thing that you need to look at when buying sausage is the ratio of lean pork to fat. If a sausage is too lean, it dries out and lacks a lot of flavor. if it is too fatty, you end up with a ton of grease and very little sausage in the pan.

Farmer John's contains more fat than I have seen in any sausage I have seen sold in retail. (It ranks up with the crap that I bought for use in prisons and state hospitals where the edict was to buy from the cheapest possible source.) After I cooked up a 12 oz package, I was lucky to have seven ounces of meat.

This weekend, I cooked up 1 # of Jimmy Dean's pork sausage (also bought for $1 at 99 Only). I ended up with 12 oz of good meat after browning.

I would buy Jimmy Dean's again as it is a good value. I would pass on the Farmer John's as it is total garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living