U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:26 PM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times

Advertisements

Split peas, brown rice, lentils, beans, spaghetti, canned meat and fish, potatoes. Slowly build up a supply of spices.

If one learns to cook, they can make out like a bandit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Also, things you can make with flour and corn meal. I just tried my hand again at corn bread and it turned out pretty decently. If it had be, I do believe it would make a decent substitution for regular bread at meals, maybe even the croutons I use a lot of (don't know how its nutritional output matches up).

After all, there had to be reason they had it so often at lunch in elementary school in the 60's.

Ingredient wise, while the base units are, some of them, over $2, they probably divide down to be well under in use. Probably the most costly by the box (but divides down massively well) for me is that I use powder milk. Even if I don't have a pitcher in the frig, since I am baking, I can just mix the powder and water in.

Long story short, learn to bake!

Old 06-05-2016, 04:17 AM

Shop around.

Yesterday at my Wally World, they were selling canned mackerel, Chicken of the Sea, at 50 cents a can, down from $1.50 they said.

50 CENTS? That's 15 oz, 3 times the amount in a tuna can which now goes for about 75 cents a can. That's a day's (open cans of fish are recommended to be kept no longer than 24 hours) worth of protein in 4 or 3 meals.

With rice, some spices (so the meals don't all taste the same), perhaps throw in a sack of potatoes, even with a box of powdered milk, one could probably a month's worth of eating for under $50.

Throw in a bag of flour, some veggies, make fish "rolls" or calzone.

As it was, I bought 10 cans, didn't want to be greedy..............but I might go back for more if I have a trip where I could extend a leg out a little.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 AM

4,080 posts, read 4,365,884 times
Market Basket up here in New England has a store brand white cheese Macaroni that only cost 50 cents a box. It's as good, or better than Kraft.....and way cheaper. I throw a box together with some butter & a can of peas & you have a full meal for under one dollar.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 4,734,254 times
Most carbs see cheap or cheapish.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,191,851 times
Yeah, Wal-Mart has a lot of cheap food items. Wheat bread 1 1/2 lb loaf .88c everyday. I don't eat
bread every day so for that reason I divide up the loaf-2 slices per sandwich bag and put them back in the loaf pkg and freeze. I can pull out a serving real quick and always fresh! My grocery store has a lot of in store specials. Like buy a pkg
of corn tortillas and get a can of refried beans or black beans free. Lots more available every week. I just have to check
the ad and the shelves for these specials.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:41 PM

13,349 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Yep, those beans really give you a BANG out of the rear end......
Eh - never given me any problem...maybe it's your digestive system that's got the problem?!

Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,430,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Shop around.

Yesterday at my Wally World, they were selling canned mackerel, Chicken of the Sea, at 50 cents a can, down from $1.50 they said.

50 CENTS? That's 15 oz, 3 times the amount in a tuna can which now goes for about 75 cents a can. That's a day's (open cans of fish are recommended to be kept no longer than 24 hours) worth of protein in 4 or 3 meals.

With rice, some spices (so the meals don't all taste the same), perhaps throw in a sack of potatoes, even with a box of powdered milk, one could probably a month's worth of eating for under $50.

Throw in a bag of flour, some veggies, make fish "rolls" or calzone.

As it was, I bought 10 cans, didn't want to be greedy..............but I might go back for more if I have a trip where I could extend a leg out a little.
Shop around indeed. If you like the fishy taste of those oily buggers, and live anywhere near the ocean, you're wasting your money to buy them in the store. Get your fishing pole out and head to the docks. Mackerel are probably the easiest salt-water fish to catch, and around here, there's no limit on how many of them you can take. You don't even need to bait to catch them, just a shiny lure (mackerel **** work great).

Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM

23,632 posts, read 21,969,184 times
Ramen noodles ... throw away flavor packet + Can of chicken noodle soup + hand full of frozen peas.. heat and server quick meal for a ole senior..

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 06-13-2016 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 01:22 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
^^^

Or you can talk to your local butcher and ask him to save chicken bones, backs and necks which are dirt cheap. Then purchase the six ounce bags of pasta from the Mexican markets for $0.25-0.35. You will have a healthier soup at a fraction of canned soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living