U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 8,245,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What really annoys me is that buying 24 individual cans of Fancy Feast cat food is significantly less expensive than a box of 24 cans. Effectively, they're charging a premium for the convenience of being able to pick them off the shelves as a set, even though it means that their cashier has 24 times as much work to do.
I've noticed that with dogfood also. It is about 80 cents more to buy a 12 pack of Alpo cans than to buy 12 individual cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 8,245,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Went to WinCo Foods, a West Coast discount supermarket.

Grabbed a 28 oz jar of store brand peanut butter, got price shock - $3.44. (12.28 cents per ounce)

Grabbed a 18 oz jar to compare - $1.48 (8.22 cents per ounce)

So much for larger sizes having better unit pricing.
I've seen that. It is natural to ASSume you will pay less per ounce for larger containers. ALWAYS check the unit cost on the shelf.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM

21,028 posts, read 25,857,224 times
Unit pricing is not the only consideration. The best purchase is the one where you need that amount and will use it all. It is no benefit to buy the gallon size at a cheaper unit price if you only need two Tablespoons of that item and the rest will spoil before it is used.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:30 AM

144 posts, read 237,561 times
I was at a Giant supermarket last week saw FOUR prices listed for the same item!

1. Unit price
2. Normal price
3. Sale price if using store card
4. Price if you purchase 6

It was confusing, and time consuming, to figure out what I'd be paying. Multiply that by 25 items, and it gets really crazy. I think they do it intentionally so you can't easily figure out that you're paying too much.

Have you ever tried to compare dishwasher tabs? It's really annoying with the various types, and number of tabs per container.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:35 PM

13,447 posts, read 24,247,153 times
True in my area too. Even at the dollar store. Pasta and rice are a buck a bag. You get to choose if you want 12oz or 16oz. Same brands even. The bigger sizes are not always the best buy!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM

8,013 posts, read 22,556,078 times
The one I hate is Miracle Whip. At my local Winco, the large jar is the SAME price as the tiny jar. I only ever use the amount in the small jar before enough time goes by that it starts smelling funny. But I hate paying the same price as for the large jar. I have the choice to either pay a much higher price per unit, or else to throw half the jar away every time.

But yes, the smaller packages are sometimes better price per unit. I've noticed that especially on non-food products (paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent).

Old 05-10-2016, 04:28 PM
bUU

11,690 posts, read 8,180,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Unit pricing is not the only consideration. The best purchase is the one where you need that amount and will use it all. It is no benefit to buy the gallon size at a cheaper unit price if you only need two Tablespoons of that item and the rest will spoil before it is used.
Except this isn't a gallon size versus 32 4 oz packages. It's really just the same 4 oz packages and a cardboard box which makes it easier to pick off the shelf and easier for the checker to scan - a win for both customer and store, so the store making money on the deal is strange, except in the context of being a deception they're engaging in, relying on customers' assumption, based on what is typical in the marketplace, that greater volumes generally cost less per unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or