U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:33 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,714,185 times

Advertisements

Went to WinCo Foods, a West Coast discount supermarket.

Grabbed a 28 oz jar of store brand peanut butter, got price shock - $3.44. (12.28 cents per ounce)

Grabbed a 18 oz jar to compare - $1.48 (8.22 cents per ounce)

So much for larger sizes having better unit pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,335,902 times
I have been advocating consumers learn unit pricing but it falls on deaf ears. Unit pricing is the only way to shop and know if an item is more or less than what you budget. Unit pricing removes any marketing hype on that product that is designed to refocus you on thinking you are getting a better deal. It renders all the hyper visual distractions worthless to your decision as to the value of a product compared to other sizes or even competitor products. It put the consumer in control, yet so few even know what the heck it is even though its right there on the shelf price sticker.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:11 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Grabbed a 28 oz jar of store brand peanut butter, got price shock - $3.44. (12.28 cents per ounce)

Been that way forever. Worse yet, when you compare like products at some places the "unit" changes. I've seen things unit priced per pound and per ounce.... So it's best to know how to do it yourself. Easy to do with cell phones. They almost all have calculators.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:56 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
What really annoys me is that buying 24 individual cans of Fancy Feast cat food is significantly less expensive than a box of 24 cans. Effectively, they're charging a premium for the convenience of being able to pick them off the shelves as a set, even though it means that their cashier has 24 times as much work to do.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
I spent three hours in one of the Phoenix WinCo Food stores on Friday doing my monthly WinCo stock up.

I did NOT experience what the OP did on the items that I bought.

What I did experience was "shelf drift" where the shelf tag was NOT immediately under the item on the shelf. I could NOT understand why the name brand items were cheaper than the WinCo brand items. Well, they are not. Rather, the name brand price tag was underneath the WinCo product.

As for unit pricing, you see that at most of the major supermarkets.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:33 AM

13,362 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:

Don't trust ANY brand. They know people are lazy...even if it is a discount brand and the larger sizes are "always" cheaper, do the calculation. Places like Walmart love this - they've trained people and NOW they change up the game so always check.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
I appreciate it that the stores have started putting unit pricing on the shelves. Yes, I can calculate unit pricing, but it makes a slower shopping trip to have to run the calculator over every item I buy.

As for pricing not being directly under the item, you must always take a microsecond to see what the item name is on the shelf tag. The one that irritates me here is when the shelf tag just has the SKU number or a very abbreviated product description and I actually have to match the SKU.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 AM

9,086 posts, read 3,701,709 times
people pay for convenience, why is that hard to grasp?
easier to carry things packages together than individual items, get charged more
easier to buy a slightly larger item so you dont have to shop as often, pay more for it

stockpiling at home takes more work than not, finding cheapest items, making room, loading it into home... for same effort some people would just work an extra hour and just pay to not do it

Old 05-09-2016, 03:00 PM

974 posts, read 854,616 times
Quote:

Did you compare the unit price of the jars to the grind-it-yourself version? I'm assuming all WinCo's offer that option as my local one does. I'm allergic to peanuts and all nuts so I don't buy it, but I'm curious. I'm stuck with either tahini or sunflower seed butter and they don't offer a self-grind version for that. My local WinCo also sells honey in bulk - I'm going to check that out and compare it to the jar version. Thanks for bringing this up.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 4,582,667 times
Yep. I let my husband go to the grocery store for me last night and when he got home he handed me the receipt. I laughed. I said, "don't tell me you really wanted to spend $18 on 6 pears, did you?".. He looked shocked, "What?!?" I said, "Yes, I bet you didn't even the check the prices.. you said to yourself 'I see pear. I like pear. I buy pear.'.. but it's not pear season... did you even know that? Check the label on the pear, it will have the country of origin on it.. that ain't no American pear you're holding.. I bet my dollar it's Chile"... Husband picks up the pear and looks at the sticker "Argenitina".

Close enough.

And this is why I rarely let him do the shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or