U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times

Advertisements

It was kind of an accident we bought a home with very little storage -- no basement, garage, attic, and not a lot in the way of big closets. A small garden shed houses lawnmower, bikes and some basic gardening gear.

For a while, I regretted our lack of storage, but now I find it's a definite benefit: it keeps us honest. We cannot stockpile "stuff."

When something becomes non-useful, broken, antiquated, worn-out or whatever, it does not get shoved "out-of-sight, out-of-mind." We've no place to put it! So it gets recycled, donated or thrown away.

Right now, our home is "just-right." We need -- nothing! We have no needs/desires for much of anything other than food and new shoes/underwear to replace those worn out. We've no debt.

Our friends are cleaning up their home after 18 years of living in it, getting it ready to sell and to move to a smaller place. They're faced with clearing a double garage, an attic, a basement and several sheds. Their task is daunting, to say the least.

Does anyone else have little storage -- and glory in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,769,834 times
I don't glory in it, but yes, have VERY little room for storage (Other than clothes/food) and am quite happy...

Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 AM

11,407 posts, read 13,950,805 times
We downsized a few years ago, from a larger home (more storage and larger than we needed) to a smaller luxury townhome.
We discarded a lot of items (donated to local charities and churches) prior to the move. We accumulated a lot of "junk" in the old house merely because there was room to store it. Now, we don't have the room and live a lot "leaner" and happier.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:26 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

When something becomes non-useful, broken, antiquated, worn-out or whatever, it does not get shoved "out-of-sight, out-of-mind." We've no place to put it! So it gets recycled, donated or thrown away.
I am one of those who cannot understand why it would be "shoved "out-of-sight, out-of-mind." ", no matter how much or how little storage you have!

Glad you "accidentally" found a way for you to control your clutter!

Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,142,556 times
Bravo for keeping the necessities with out the bog down of storage.

I have in seven years learned to ask is it necessary to survive and is it needed to allow flexibility in doing other things?

My economy improved when I stopped impulse buying or even buying to "stock up".

It is on an as needed bases.

Life is better now ...less stress , more joy. ( and I know where everything is too!)

Old 05-15-2016, 06:01 PM

391 posts, read 198,130 times
I moved into a 1 bd with den (for business stuff), lr, kit, and bathroom. Could not be happier. I really wanted two bedrooms, but I've adjusted and keep even less "stuff" because I don't have a second room to fill.

There is a lot of space though 1000 sf... roomy so two are not on top of each other.

I often wonder if I'll ever live in a big house. I really think the bills would kill me... my electric was $40 last month... small house, small bills.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:51 PM

569 posts, read 336,791 times
Quote:
It was kind of an accident we bought a home with very little storage -- no basement, garage, attic, and not a lot in the way of big closets. A small garden shed houses lawnmower, bikes and some basic gardening gear.

For a while, I regretted our lack of storage, but now I find it's a definite benefit: it keeps us honest. We cannot stockpile "stuff."

Right now, our home is "just-right." We need -- nothing! We have no needs/desires for much of anything other than food and new shoes/underwear to replace those worn out. We've no debt.

Our friends are cleaning up their home after 18 years of living in it, getting it ready to sell and to move to a smaller place. They're faced with clearing a double garage, an attic, a basement and several sheds. Their task is daunting, to say the least.

Ultilize this astute room:

----- ------
My room is small, too. And I like it. Hence, it is impossible for me to take the office properties home with me. A laser printer would immediately cram my room. A broom stick will cause the traffic jam in my room.

And I have to stay creative to keep the refrigerate items.

Last edited by CPPU12345; 05-15-2016 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: top ic

Old 05-16-2016, 05:23 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
Ultilize this astute room:

----- ------
My room is small, too. And I like it. Hence, it is impossible for me to take the office properties home with me. A laser printer would immediately cram my room. A broom stick will cause the traffic jam in my room.

And I have to stay creative to keep the refrigerate items.
Gosh, you win the prize for graceful minimalism!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
Fully understand what your saying. We just downsized to a small home. Was just hubby and I in a 2000 sqft home. A lot of wasted space that just collected junk we never used anymore. Our new home is 1300 sqft. No basement. We do have a garage due to having a lawncare business but no shed. We have to sell and sort through all the stuff we accumulated and it's great to declutter. Our new home doesn't have a lot of storage space and it's just the right size for us now, much less room to keep unneeded items. Plus, utilities will be cheaper and insurance was less also!

Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM

24,710 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:

I live in a studio apartment and I still have too much stuff I don't use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living