U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:43 AM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I didn't know the Obi has call-blocking. Can you use wildcards to excude multiple area codes? How about blocking based on CID name? Thanks.
Google Voice handles all of that. I have no idea if you can block outright area codes.

One nice thing about GV is no telemarketer calls either, since the number isn't really registered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:29 AM

1,010 posts, read 521,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Google Voice handles all of that. I have no idea if you can block outright area codes.

One nice thing about GV is no telemarketer calls either, since the number isn't really registered.
Oh, I see, GV is doing the call-blocking, which I think is for specific numbers only, no wildcards. At least that's what I see on my GV number.

Ooma has integration with GV also, although I don't use it. And if you have the premier service you gt extra protection from telemarketers with NoMoRobo, along with wildcard blocking (but not on CID name yet).

Old 05-22-2016, 03:12 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,941,217 times
Quote:
Oh, I see, GV is doing the call-blocking, which I think is for specific numbers only, no wildcards. At least that's what I see on my GV number.

Ooma has integration with GV also, although I don't use it. And if you have the premier service you gt extra protection from telemarketers with NoMoRobo, along with wildcard blocking (but not on CID name yet).
Oh heck, I enjoy making telemarketers and IRS scammers waste their time talking to my answering machine. I love it when it takes a moment for them to figure out they are talking to dead air and they say, "Hello? Hello? <click>)

Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 PM

1,010 posts, read 521,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Oh heck, I enjoy making telemarketers and IRS scammers waste their time talking to my answering machine. I love it when it takes a moment for them to figure out they are talking to dead air and they say, "Hello? Hello? <click>)
Well, if you enjoy their entertainment value, then carry on

Last election cycle (before I got Ooma and NoMoRobo) the autodialers were going at it nonstop with my unlisted number. I'm hoping this cycle will be different <fingers, toes, and eyes crossed> !

Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 AM

3,270 posts, read 1,941,217 times
Quote:
Well, if you enjoy their entertainment value, then carry on

Last election cycle (before I got Ooma and NoMoRobo) the autodialers were going at it nonstop with my unlisted number. I'm hoping this cycle will be different <fingers, toes, and eyes crossed> !
LOL it might be worth the 4 bucks a month ooma wants just to keep my entertainment going.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 PM

102 posts, read 261,962 times
I use Callcentric. It routes calls over the internet, so it requires an internet connection. It's a little confusing if you're not tech oriented. I use a Gigaset C610A phone and Callcentric provides the instructions on how to set it up here.

I pay $1.95/month for an incoming phone number and $1.50/month for 911 service. I then pay about 2 cents per minute for each call within the US (and 2 cents per minute for calls to Taiwan). Most months my usage is less than $5 total.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:20 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I use Vonage, cheaper than the telco based services and very happy with it.
I too use Vonage as my home tel. service as it also gives unlimited international calling which I can use to call relatives (& friends) outside the USA.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,034,064 times
I am one of the original Ooma users and don't even pay the monthly fee It is fantastic. The unit was $120 and has paid for itself many times over.

Now it is only $4 a month or so, still better than a landline.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:28 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,142,556 times
I have an old non contract smartphone. D/L the" hangout" app.
Link to the house wifi, and Viola! I can dial out....for free!

Just no phone# shows...

research .

Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
I think mine is the cheapest. I use Google Voice, and I text from my computer. Also it converts voice mail to text and sends to my e-mail. It is the phone number I give out.

I have a flip phone that cost $15 which has Ring Plus (a Sprint MVNO). I forward my google number to this number as well, so I can answer here. They give me 250 minutes/ 500 texts per month for a one time charge of $5 (no monthly charge). Today they would give you 3400 minutes/3400 texts per month for a one time charge of $27.

I also have an LG android phone that cost $20 set to work with Verizon. I use it around the house as a WiFi phone with google voice at no charge. It also works like that anywhere that has free Wifi (nearly every grocery store). I have Page Plus Cellular which I pay $10 every 4 months. This gives me ability to make some cell calls at 10 cents per minute. It gives me minimal backup capability to the R+ phone or if I am not near WiFi. You don't have enough minutes to converse, but you can tell someone you are outside, or that you are running late.

SO my monthly outlay is about $3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living