Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 4,204,998 times

Advertisements

Just got an email from ooma that the Amazon deal of the day is an Ooma Telo unit on sale for $63.35. Dang, I wish I waited to buy mine! LOL I paid around $98 for it. Still well worth it, but if anyone is seriously considering Ooma, today might be a good day to order the Telo from Amazon. So far, we are extremely happy with the service, and the porting process (from Verizon) went very smoothly. (You don't have to port your old number, but we chose to, since we have had that number for nearly 35 years.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,388,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Just got an email from ooma that the Amazon deal of the day is an Ooma Telo unit on sale for $63.35. Dang, I wish I waited to buy mine! LOL I paid around $98 for it. Still well worth it, but if anyone is seriously considering Ooma, today might be a good day to order the Telo from Amazon. So far, we are extremely happy with the service, and the porting process (from Verizon) went very smoothly. (You don't have to port your old number, but we chose to, since we have had that number for nearly 35 years.)

How does Ooma work? I glanced at the Telo device and it says you connect it to your internet router. What kind of phones do you use? How does the phone in your home connect to the Telo device?

Old 12-12-2016, 02:15 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
How does Ooma work? I glanced at the Telo device and it says you connect it to your internet router. What kind of phones do you use? How does the phone in your home connect to the Telo device?
you can connect any phone that has a normal phone jack on it. I use a 3 phone Panasonic wireless phone system and it works fine. I have the base near the router and the other two phones in other parts of the house. I've used Ooma for years, it works perfectly I can't tell any difference in call quality with it than with a normal landline or cell phone. I had Vonage before and hated it, it had an awful echo and I couldn't fax over it, after that I had a Charter VOIP phone, they offer these as though there are free, but they aren't ...just price the same service without it and you will see how free it is.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:19 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,638,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
you can connect any phone that has a normal phone jack on it. I use a 3 phone Panasonic wireless phone system and it works fine. I have the base near the router and the other two phones in other parts of the house. I've used Ooma for years, it works perfectly I can't tell any difference in call quality with it than with a normal landline or cell phone. I had Vonage before and hated it, it had an awful echo and I couldn't fax over it, after that I had a Charter VOIP phone, they offer these as though there are free, but they aren't ...just price the same service without it and you will see how free it is.
I'm very slow on certain subjects. Which "landline" does this Ooma uses? For example, Google Voice uses T-Mobile.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I'm very slow on certain subjects. Which "landline" does this Ooma uses? For example, Google Voice uses T-Mobile.
Landline means the old fashioned phone line that came from AT&T, running off copper wire usually from a pole or a nearby underground utility.

VOIP means 'voice over internet protocol' it is the term that is used for Ooma, Comcast, Vonage etc. They transmit phone calls over the internet. Google voice provides a phone number, a voice mail box and free calling if you are connected to the internet.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Landline means the old fashioned phone line that came from AT&T, running off copper wire usually from a pole or a nearby underground utility.

VOIP means 'voice over internet protocol' it is the term that is used for Ooma, Comcast, Vonage etc. They transmit phone calls over the internet. Google voice provides a phone number, a voice mail box and free calling if you are connected to the internet.

please check your inbox.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:07 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,374,374 times
Here's a tip...

If you have Ooma (or probably other similar VoIP devices as well) it's possible to hook it up to use the phone wiring that's currently in your house. If you do this you can have it work with any phone you currently might have that's hooked up to any of your phone jacks. Except for Ooma's weird sounding dial tone, all of your phones will work just like they used to when hooked up to the phone company's system.

To do this all you need to do is find and unhook the wires coming from the phone company at the point where they enter your house. Then plug the Ooma device into one of your phone jacks with a standard phone cord. That's all you have to do. (Note... I have cable internet. I'm not sure how this would work if you're getting DSL internet from the phone company).

If you don't want to hook it up to you house's phone wiring you can plug any standard telephone into the back of it.

Here's another tip for if you don't like Ooma's special dial tone and you want a normal sounding dial tone. Dig through the settings menu and select "fax" mode. This will get the normal dial tone back.

I've had Ooma for about 5 years. I've had no problems with it during this time and can highly recommend it as long as you have a good solid internet connection for it to connect to.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM

18,938 posts, read 43,314,101 times
We have Frontier Communications here, I called about a year ago about canceling my landline service and was told they'd have to cancel my internet service as well, I can't have Internet without phone service. So, until satellite internet becomes better and cheaper, I'm stuck paying for a landline.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:25 AM

50,082 posts, read 63,445,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
We have Frontier Communications here, I called about a year ago about canceling my landline service and was told they'd have to cancel my internet service as well, I can't have Internet without phone service. So, until satellite internet becomes better and cheaper, I'm stuck paying for a landline.
We bundle our landline with Internet also, with ATT. If we get rid of the phone, they'll jack up our internet by $10 a month, so the net gain isn't enough to bother.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I had frontier also. Their service wasn't bad but my bundle with satelite, internet and tv was 181. The landline alone was 32 and the internet was another 35 for 5mbps download. Right now, i have vonage pay as you go plan and its only 6 and i have internet that's 3 times faster for the same price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living