U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,944,916 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of ditching our Verizon landline and just going with our cellphones. We are a little hesitant, as there have been times when the landline worked and the cellphones didn't (Hurricane Sandy comes to mind.)

Right now, the landline costs us just over $44/month. $17.95 flat rate plan for local calling and then they scam us with a VLD shortfall fee of $9.99/month. (Yes, a fee for not making any long-distance calls.) By the time all the other fees, Federal taxes, etc. are tacked on, it's around $44, like I said.

Before we ditch the landline, I thought I'd ask if anyone has a cheap residential phone plan, who the company is, and what you pay for it. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 01:40 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
I haven't had a landline in at least ten years and I haven't ever had a situation where I needed it.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:55 PM

3,933 posts, read 1,453,829 times
Not sure if you're married to copper land line but if Voip works for you look into ooma or Google voice with Obi.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:04 PM

13,155 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I haven't had a landline in at least ten years and I haven't ever had a situation where I needed it.
Agreed. We live in a hurricane prone area, but landlines have become so ridiculously expensive it's cheaper to take that tiny risk, ditch them, and just keep the cell phone. My wife had a landline she never used for way too long because the home alarm system required it. Or they used to, anyway. Two years ago I suggested she get rid of it. She was paying $35/month to get political calls and various other types of phone spam and never made a single outgoing call the whole time I had known her. She told me the alarm company required she keep a landline and I told her I doubted it. When she called the alarm company to check, they told her they dropped that requirement a long time ago, so she dropped the landline.

It's odd that the phone companies don't cut the price of landline phones. They are going the way of the dinosaurs, and if they don't make them cost effective, soon no one will have them. Maybe that's the point, though; the phone companies don't want to have to pay to maintain them when few people use them anymore.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM

1,011 posts, read 522,525 times
I have had Ooma for 3 years and am satisfied with it. The premier service is $10/mo plus $4+ in taxes. If you prefer the basic service, then you pay just the taxes each month. To me the premier service is worth it for the call-blocking ability. My cellphone usage is only about $8/month, so it is cheaper for me to have Ooma rather than an unlimited cellphone plan.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:20 PM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Been on Google Voice with the OBi device for at least 5 years. Completely free (no taxes, nothing) after buying the $45 OBi device, includes all sorts of things like call blocking, call forwarding, voicemail, etc. If you want E911 it's around $15/year for that service.

International is also super cheap, Canada and Mexico are free.

The Ooma is a great turn key option for around $5/month that includes E911 but the device is fairly expensive.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:46 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,177,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Been on Google Voice with the OBi device for at least 5 years. Completely free (no taxes, nothing) after buying the $45 OBi device, includes all sorts of things like call blocking, call forwarding, voicemail, etc. If you want E911 it's around $15/year for that service.

International is also super cheap, Canada and Mexico are free.
I've been using a Google Voice number and and Obi100 box for about 4 years now. We hooked it to a nice home phone handset that we got at a yard sale for $5. Dropped the $30/mo landline. It works great! And completely free. The phone number lives on the internet so if we move or travel it easily goes with us. If a caller leaves a voicemail it gets transcribed to a text message and sent to my cell phone. I use that as my answering machine when I'm out of the house. We do our long phone calls on the Google Voice and then have cheap Tracfone cell phones for brief calls when we are out.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:50 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will look into Google voice and ooma. We have copper (Verizon never got around to installing Fios in our part of NJ, believe it or not), but could do VOIP via our high-speed internet connection. Husband is leaning toward just ditching the land line completely, although there is a benefit to having a phone number you can give out (doing online shopping, etc.) and being able to selectively return calls. And having a decoy for all the IRS scams, political robocalls, etc.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 AM

1,011 posts, read 522,525 times
I didn't know the Obi has call-blocking. Can you use wildcards to excude multiple area codes? How about blocking based on CID name? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 AM

11,416 posts, read 13,961,436 times
I use Vonage, cheaper than the telco based services and very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living