U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 07:17 PM

3,261 posts, read 1,941,217 times

Advertisements

I use far less liquid than the bottle of detergent "suggests" I use, but yes, I do use soap in every load of wash.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And if you read the article you linked to, the first couple of sections discuss the dangerous chemical that most dry cleaners use.

Some "green" cleaners don't, but they generally charge more and don't have as many locations as the regular cleaners. For example, the closest green dry cleaner to my house is 17 miles away.

The truth is, many clothes say they're dry-clean only because they're not well-constructed and won't hold up to your washing machine over time. If they're silk or acetate and specify dry cleaning, they absolutely have to be dry cleaned, but if something is polyester or rayon, you can probably manage to gently hand wash it at home, and save money and avoid exposure to perc or the hassle of tracking down a green dry cleaner.

Or you can avoid buying clothes that say they're dry clean only.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 PM

22,694 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry folks - I am part raccoon. Clothes get washed when they have been worn. This is like the "how often do you wash your bra" string. 2.50 for a load which is a hamper full of clothes but I feel clean. There is nothing like crisp starched cotton be it jeans or sheets. BTW - they get changed every other day and ironed. Those with no bodily functions, scent, sweat, skin cells, environmental smells from tobacco smoke to the perfume your desk neighbor is wearing - have at it. Why wash it at all? Shake it
Sometimes they're worn...and other times they're just worn. If I'm at home wearing "leisure wear" and I change into a pair of jeans and a T-shirt to go a mile down the road to the pharmacy, come home and change, those clothes are not going into the wash. That would be a waste of resources.

To each his own, but I don't like crisp sheets. It reminds me of the hospital. Ironing would completely destroy the suede-like feel of my high thread count, Egyptian cotton, sateen weave sheets.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:11 AM

6,308 posts, read 7,987,919 times
It would be gross to not use any kind of substance to help loosen and lift out the unseen soiling that is left on clothes, sheets, towels. If one is doing that as some kind of frugal measure, that's just ridiculous.

Since this topic is posted in the frugal section, if being that level of cheap is that important, then give up the washer/dryer altogether and go back in time to using a wash board and a bar of laundry soap and sit by a creek and hand wash your laundry, then hang it out to dry.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:46 AM

11,693 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Racoons might not be what you want to emulate. I used to watch as they would simultaneously wash their food in our swimming pool and defecate in it...

Do you wash the cover on your steering wheel? Do you wash door handles and sink handles?

As for me, I recognize that my skin is not toxic, my body smells are faint and normal, and I steer clear of smoke. Just choice. A co-worker in Florida used to shower at LEAST twice a day. As long as it ain't my water bill or electric bill, have fun. I just find my system less costly and slightly more ecologically sound.
Take a white towel to steering wheel, door handles and sink handles.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:44 AM

22,694 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Why? I wash my kitchen faucet handle every day. I wipe door knobs and light switches regularly. Yes, I clean my steering wheel, too.

Now about that funky laundry...

Old 06-11-2016, 12:17 PM

7,032 posts, read 8,191,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
ARRGH -- MOD can you PLEASE change the thread title to "Washing" -- not "Washington"

Anyone do that….wash clothes with no detergent?

I'm thinking of trying that.
I mean…I'm an adult I don't' wear my clothes until they're "dirty", so maybe no detergent is needed.
A washing machine wash may be enough. I'll try that, for a few times.

I was going got say I'll try adding -- perhaps baking soda to the wash. But how much. If I'm going to add more than a 1/2 cup, I might as well just use detergent which would be cheaper.
I'm all for being frugal, but washing without detergent is disgusting.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:58 PM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I don't know where else to post this question so here goes. I'm looking for a laundry detergent that doesn't suds too much. Even with using the right amount or less of All Free & Clear (liquid) I have to always use a second rinse, sometimes even a third to get the suds out. I have a Whirlpool top loader which is fairly new but I had the same issue with the previous washing machine.

I looked this up online yesterday and one of the suggestions was All detergent which I'm already using. Would powder detergent be better or maybe the detergent pods? Some of the other suggestions online were Wisk, Tide and Gain. Any suggestions?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:11 PM

15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Yeah, UMMMM, you can buy a big bottle of laundry-soap at the dollar-store.

I am cheap, VERY cheap.

But seeing how cheap laundry-detergent is....the no-detergent idea makes NO SENSE, STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tickyul; 12-04-2016 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
I tried the 'no detergent' thing in college to save money. People I never met went out of their way to tell me it didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living