U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 PM

18,067 posts, read 17,198,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I just asked about not using detergent because -- any be I'm dirtier and greaser than I think I am…but:

1) I really don't think my clothes need more than a good, hard rinse most of the time (they're not "dirty"
2) I was curious about a "natural cleaner" like basking soda (but I'm not going to start making or mixing my own "non-detergent cleaner. I'm just not going to do that work. And don't care enough about it to make my own laundry cleaner.
4) I think I WILL start using less detergent, and maybe only using detergent every other wash.
Same here. They really need a freshening, not that much of a cleaning. But you do get body oils and maybe some light odors on clothing.

Baking soda won't do anything that I know of. Making your own got easier when I just bought the ingredients and threw them into the washer with the clothes without mixing them.

I take Fels Naptha Soap, Box of washing soda, box of Borax. They all sit on the shelf and when I do laundry the lazy way, I just scrape some of the bar soap, shake some powder from the two boxes and that's all. Add hot water.

NO MIXING or making home made. Just buy the three items. Borax will do wonders at freshening and brightening.

For cold water wash, which can be almost everything, I'll use a tiny bit of Woolite and dump some Borax in with it.

Twenty Mule Team Borax.

https://www.thebalance.com/borax-lau...ooster-1387922

Borax inhibits many organisms, including fungi.
It also whitens and boosts cleaning power.
I think it's great with just a teeny bit of soap/Woolite if your clothes are not really dirty and just need freshening.

It's cheap and no extra trouble at all. Just dump a little bit into the washer.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,495,745 times
If the clothes aren't dirty, why wash them at all?

I wear some of my skirt 10 times before sending them for dry cleaning.

Lots of clothes I wear several time, even t-shirts.

Do the smell test, if it is funky, wash it, if not, steam the wrinkles out and hang it up for another wearing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,460,731 times
Throw a teaspoon of TSP into the wash.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:43 AM

27,294 posts, read 11,408,877 times
You can get detergent in the dollar store & it's not half bad

Old 12-06-2016, 12:41 PM

11,409 posts, read 6,457,056 times
Detergent is an area where I came to the conclusion that the money saved isn't worth spending any time or effort (making my own). A big jug is $14 at Sams and does 115 loads. I do about 2 loads/week so ~$13/year...not worth thinking about. Even for a family of 5 you'd only be talking maybe $80/year.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 12-06-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,661,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
sometimes i will just throw my clothes in the washing machine and then take them out an hour later. ill do that if they arent super dirty and im not going any place too fancy in them.
So you don't even turn it on?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 AM

27,294 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So you don't even turn it on?
best post of the day on C-D

Old 12-08-2016, 01:20 PM

11,438 posts, read 19,468,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know where else to post this question so here goes. I'm looking for a laundry detergent that doesn't suds too much. Even with using the right amount or less of All Free & Clear (liquid) I have to always use a second rinse, sometimes even a third to get the suds out. I have a Whirlpool top loader which is fairly new but I had the same issue with the previous washing machine.

I looked this up online yesterday and one of the suggestions was All detergent which I'm already using. Would powder detergent be better or maybe the detergent pods? Some of the other suggestions online were Wisk, Tide and Gain. Any suggestions?
Look closely at the measuring cap. There should be lines there for heavy load, normal load and light load. Try light load, and if that's too soapy, cut that amount in half. Are you adding anything else to the load? Laundry detergent isn't formulated to be sudsy anymore...

Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 PM

10,866 posts, read 18,937,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Detergent is an area where I came to the conclusion that the money saved isn't worth spending any time or effort (making my own). A big jug is $14 at Sams and does 115 loads. I do about 2 loads/week so ~$13/year...not worth thinking about. Even for a family of 5 you'd only be talking maybe $80/year.
That jug from Sams only does 115 loads if you're using the lowest line on the cup, if you fill the cup all the way you get about half as many loads from it. I wash four large loads a week and use four jugs of Sam's detergent a year. It's still a good deal.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 AM

938 posts, read 1,221,086 times
I mix up gallon jugs of the following:

3 Tablespoons borax
3 Tablespoons washing soda
3 Tablespoons Meyers liquid soap (or anything you like including Dawn if you have really greasy or exceptionally dirty stuff)

I put hot tap water in the bottom of a gallon jug (kindly donated from neighbor who buys liquid laundry detergent at Costco), add borax and soda, shake to dissolve. Fill jug with cold water leaving room for liquid soap. Shake gently. I let it sit overnight and shake again. Good to go.

We're on a septic and service guy says we're doing fine, better than when we were using powdered detergents. Had a top loader and now a front loader, works fine in both. Husband is retired mechanic and daughter worked on fishing docks. 1/4 cup gets their stuff clean. I use much less as my clothes see the inside of an office cubical all day.

$10 for all the ingredients and 5 minutes to mix it up. I make 2 gallons at a time about every 4 months. The ingredients will make up 15-20 gallons I would guess. Last time I checked one gallon of liquid laundry detergent was $7-15 depending on brand and store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living