Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 11:07 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
That would be like taking a shower/bath and not using soap! I love the smell of my clothes when they come out of the washer. Laundry detergent is not expensive. They have some really cheap brands too!
I've done that. For people with some skin issues, not using soap or using an oil is healthier. The Romans used oil and a strigil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigil Baths were simply heated water.

As for the smell, for people with chemical sensitivities that smell can make them sick. NASTY stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I use a tiny bit of Woolite and some washing soda. My clothes are cleaner than when I used detergent

degreasing, brightening and cleaning tough messes. That's what washing soda does. You can buy it just about anywhere and it's odorless and seems to do the trick.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-05-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
sometimes i will just throw my clothes in the washing machine and then take them out an hour later. ill do that if they arent super dirty and im not going any place too fancy in them.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Washing without laundry detergent isn't washing - that's rinsing. And yes, I have done that...

Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Be green

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
dry cleaning is full of dangerous chemicals
Really?
Green America: Living Green: Green "Dry" Cleaning

Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 PM

117 posts, read 116,933 times
Let me echo what most have said...don't skip soap! Look into an alternative that works better for you.

I've been transitioning away from using brand goods for laundry after reading up about it. (Homemade laundry detergent | MNN - Mother Nature Network is the recipe I'm going to try.) I just need to find an old pot to cook it inside when I can spare the time to go to our local Salvation Army.

One thing I started using a lot is distilled white vinegar. You can buy it in gallon jugs at pretty much any grocery store. I use whatever store's brand.

If a load is particularly stinky, toss in a dollop of white vinegar. I also have a spray bottle of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water I used to spray on my spouses' work clothes when he did food preparation/cooking at a grocery store for a spell. It gets those minor grease stains out like nobody's business. (Can't speak to the majors others have used the dish soap on, though one time he got splashed from a fryer and wetting it with water before vinegar direct on top worked.) I still use the spray for spot cleaning sometimes (also inside neck area, underarm.)

If something is moldy or just smells like it, put in a half cup + (depending on load size) of white vinegar and let it soak in that before running the wash as normal (use at least warm in such cases--hot is better unless you're worried about shrinkage/color bleeds). We had a basement in one place we lived where we didn't realize there was black mold in spring/summer so all the winter clothes we stored down there...whoooo what a nightmare! Everything I washed using the soak with vinegar came out just fine, even some vintage pieces I have.

I've started using white vinegar as the softening agent for rinse after I read about it, and it works well enough for me. Even if you use a softener ball--I was worried maybe the weight difference might not work as well since it's not as thick as regular softener, but it does. If you're used to super soft towels, they won't be quite that soft, but they won't be bristly either. The only thing I've noticed is the vinegar doesn't prevent static. Still, totally worth it for the price difference and one less thing to bulk up on just because that brand softener is on sale.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I just asked about not using detergent because -- any be I'm dirtier and greaser than I think I am…but:

1) I really don't think my clothes need more than a good, hard rinse most of the time (they're not "dirty"
2) I was curious about a "natural cleaner" like basking soda (but I'm not going to start making or mixing my own "non-detergent cleaner. I'm just not going to do that work. And don't care enough about it to make my own laundry cleaner.
4) I think I WILL start using less detergent, and maybe only using detergent every other wash.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I just asked about not using detergent because -- any be I'm dirtier and greaser than I think I am…but:

1) I really don't think my clothes need more than a good, hard rinse most of the time (they're not "dirty"
2) I was curious about a "natural cleaner" like basking soda (but I'm not going to start making or mixing my own "non-detergent cleaner. I'm just not going to do that work. And don't care enough about it to make my own laundry cleaner.
4) I think I WILL start using less detergent, and maybe only using detergent every other wash.
That brings up an important point. Excess washing shortens the life of clothing, can cause fading, tears, shrinkage, and changes in fabric feel. That lint on your dryer screen was once your clothing.

Guys especially are taught (as active teens with active hormones and lots of sweat and dirt on summer days) to wear something once and throw it in the hamper or wash. That might be perfectly appropriate at that age or in some situations, but more often washing after a single wearing of a garment serves no purpose other than satisfy an obsession.

In some cases a lint brush or lint roller may be all that is needed. Recent manufacturer recommendations for jeans suggest washing them only when absolutely necessary. About the only things I use that get an automatic chuck in the basket are underwear, socks, and washcloths. That equates to less work and lower laundry costs. A while back, I figured my actual cost of doing a full load of laundry at home was around $2.50 between water, heating the water, detergent, bleach, fabric softeners, power for the wash cycle and drying.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:43 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Sorry folks - I am part raccoon. Clothes get washed when they have been worn. This is like the "how often do you wash your bra" string. 2.50 for a load which is a hamper full of clothes but I feel clean. There is nothing like crisp starched cotton be it jeans or sheets. BTW - they get changed every other day and ironed. Those with no bodily functions, scent, sweat, skin cells, environmental smells from tobacco smoke to the perfume your desk neighbor is wearing - have at it. Why wash it at all? Shake it

Old 06-09-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry folks - I am part raccoon. Clothes get washed when they have been worn. This is like the "how often do you wash your bra" string. 2.50 for a load which is a hamper full of clothes but I feel clean. There is nothing like crisp starched cotton be it jeans or sheets. BTW - they get changed every other day and ironed. Those with no bodily functions, scent, sweat, skin cells, environmental smells from tobacco smoke to the perfume your desk neighbor is wearing - have at it. Why wash it at all? Shake it
Racoons might not be what you want to emulate. I used to watch as they would simultaneously wash their food in our swimming pool and defecate in it...

Do you wash the cover on your steering wheel? Do you wash door handles and sink handles?

As for me, I recognize that my skin is not toxic, my body smells are faint and normal, and I steer clear of smoke. Just choice. A co-worker in Florida used to shower at LEAST twice a day. As long as it ain't my water bill or electric bill, have fun. I just find my system less costly and slightly more ecologically sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living