U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 548,683 times

Advertisements

We do just about everything ourselves. I am blessed with a husband with a natural mechanical ability.

We fix our own vehicles. We do our own house maintenance, everything you can imagine. Maybe not the a/c. I cook all our meals. I cut his hair. Tried my own went to beauty shop and had THAT fixed! Going to check out that creaclip!

We do our own lawn care and landscaping, just installed a fence around the back yard ourselves. I'm about to use my carpet scrubber to do my area rugs again.

Only down side to all this is we are getting older and we have this great lifestyle which we can afford because we do it all ourselves. But we're not as nimble as we used to be and we run out of steam; maintenance issues are harder all the time. Climbing up the tall ladder and replacing a downspout with me helping was a little dicey the other day. There will be a time we won't be able to keep all this up. Then we'll have to downsize or move where maintenance is mostly provided. It will cost more. But, while we can, we are our own helpers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 AM

22,767 posts, read 21,813,668 times
Call me cheap, but I've never paid for anything I didn't have to. My husband was a very capable and handy guy. I've learned how to do all sorts of small household repairs over the years. I've never had a lawn service, and I did most of it. Like Lori said, who needs a gym membership when there is lawn and garden work to do?

My son fixes my computer and my car. He's very, very handy. He finally found his groove. He can fix anything. He's not a millionaire, but he'll never have to call a handyman. Counts for something.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM

33 posts, read 74,465 times
I make my own makeup brush/sponge cleanser:
- mix equal parts dish soap and olive oil in a bowl
- swirls brushes or sponges in them
- wash out immediately or later ( same results)

It may seem simple but some makeup cleansers are 20$ for a small bottle and don't clean nearly as well. I wash my brushes/sponges every Sunday, so this actually saves me lots of money.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:10 AM

538 posts, read 345,469 times
Raise chickens. Cut hair. Decorate cakes. Lose a few wrinkles with 'needling." Learned to can. to sand and refinish floors. to make old formica counters look like sparkling granite for less than $50. to make 5 minute artisan bread. to make my own mozzarella and ricotta cheese and yogurt. make jewelry to wear and sell. grow a vegetable garden. to paint walls like a pro. to repair stucco. to make my own low salt tortillas,bbq sauce and other foods, stretch a carpet, tile a floor, to make money off of craigslist, to turn an old dog house into an adorable chicken house.
I am on femara for breast cancer, which ALWAYS turns bones to mush eventually.My last bone scan my oncologist was incredulous that my bones are in great shape. I attribute this to belly dancing [yes, I am older than rocks, slightly younger than God] which, I learned, along with everything else mentioned, plus more, from YOU TUBE videos.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:27 AM

58 posts, read 32,357 times
Over the weekend I changed the outer tie rod on my wife's car. The alignment shop wanted to charge $60 in labor.

I do almost every auto repair myself unless it deals with machining, which I've never had to do before anyways.

I am actually not great at mechanic work but I know my cars and that's what matters. I don't see me getting rid of my 1994 Honda any time soon. Too much time vested in it already and it runs pretty well. In case anyone is wondering, it is not modified at all right now, but that will soon change.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,718,286 times
I went roughly 2 years cutting my own hair. Anyone I ever told always had to check out the back of my head because they were sure I couldn't get it right back there. It was a challenge with the mirrors and a pain to clean up.

One day my wife advised me to use a real hair cutter and after doing it for a few months I could see that my hair looked better than when I was doing it. I even got a new job soon after.

I put the days of cutting my own hair behind me. Today, I go to a haircutting school and pay $6 for a student to cut my hair and they always have an instructor check it to make sure it's right.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:17 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,789,579 times
All sorts of car maintenance and repair, done by me, done right, done the way I want it, on time and on budget. All sorts of house maintenance and repair as well.

Grow a garden, but I'm not sure we really save any money on that. What produce we get is better tasting than what I can get in stores around here.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,513,030 times
Youtube have helped me saved money. I learn how to cook certain dishes that would cost a good amount of money at a restaurant. I learn how to make small repairs on my washer, car, and home watching those videos.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,165,764 times
Good thread.

When my ex and I owned a house in CLT, I did all the painting inside the house and I've always cut my own yard-even in my rental houses I lived in.

Here in Denver, I just painted the apartment myself.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:30 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,718,286 times
where I now live, most of the younger home owners seem kind-of clueless about how to do stuff around the house, but they seem to have plenty of money to pay others to do it.

house cleaners that also wash and fold clothes appear to be a big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or