U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:06 PM

17,971 posts, read 17,131,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
where I now live, most of the younger home owners seem kind-of clueless about how to do stuff around the house, but they seem to have plenty of money to pay others to do it.

house cleaners that also wash and fold clothes appear to be a big plus.
Sad. What a waste of money. And they'll never know how to do things for themselves.

I just realized that I probably am saving money with my garden. I saved the tomato seeds from last year and now I've got big tomato plants that were free. I used other seeds I had bought last year so there are more free vegetables. I don't buy compost because we save our kitchen scraps year round and compost them. Free fertilizer.

You waste money with a garden if you buy actual plants instead of seeds. If you buy fertilizer instead of making compost. You can BUY all sorts of gardening items that you don't really need--like stakes for tomato plants when you can just make them, or special ties to tie up the tomato plants, or commercial fertilizer and sprays.

Personally, FREE is good.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 PM

13,341 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Just a little money...my blender's rubber coupling had finally disintegrated so I ordered a new one for about $5 instead of just buying a new blender. I'd done it before for the same blender - step by step on youtube about how to take off the old one - easy as pie! Kinda like resoling your shoes instead of buying a new pair, but even cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 07:58 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
Different strokes for different folks. There are so many variables on what works, what gives the most value and what is frugal for individual people or entities.

I'm envious of those who have someone to clean their house. I know quite a few people who do. In their case, it's actually less expensive to hire someone than to do it themselves. The pay they generate from their job more than compensates for what they pay someone to come in and clean.

I live in a newer cookie cutter neighborhood. Composting and gardening don't work the same as when you have a place where you can spread out. The new construction disturbs all the rats and other wild critters habitats. If you're composting, you're providing food and a new home. If you have more land or an older neighborhood that may not matter. When you're in cookie cutter hell, you have more limitations. I composted at my last house, but with the rat problem here, I don't dare. I save eggshells and occasionally throw some coffee grounds out around the roses, but that is about it.

We've moved every few years mainly because of the job. I love to garden, but more than once, I've had to start off with an empty grass lot and a couple of stick trees. I don't have time to build up good compost or save recyclables. The front flowerbed my builder put in was awful. They pushed up some clay and sand filled with broken bricks, bottles, and trash and threw some cheap plants in. I hated it so I redid it. The plants were inappropriate for the landscape so I pulled them up and threw them out and replaced them. I dug out dirt and replaced it with good dirt and compost. There are no rocks here so I went and bought some. It wasn't cheap, but it made me happy. I have great curb appeal out front and the back yard is relaxing. I'm able to grow a few herbs and tomatoes and a few other things. If we need to resell, hopefully, we have something a little nicer than those who didn't do anything.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
We are cheap, so we do pretty much everything ourselves, from home cooking restaurant recipes to lawn care to car repairs to cross country moves to putting on an addition to replacing flooring in our home to creating home decor items.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 AM

1,236 posts, read 611,366 times
Yes, eating out is expensive (even fast food). But the real savings come from doing your own auto and home repairs, which can save thousands. Of course, it is also very dangerous and I don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing! :-)

Old 07-11-2016, 01:14 AM

2,756 posts, read 2,170,309 times
I use to love eating out.
But now a days seems like the food is higher and the quality lower!
So I'm enjoying my cooking and saving money!
And feeling better about it too.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Hubby cuts his own hair.
My husband just started doing this a few months ago. His hair isn't great (when it starts to grow out it looks clown-ish) and it makes the thinning/balding even more apparent. So one day he just decided to use his beard trimmer and pretty much trim it completely down. It actually ended up being approved by the CEO of the house (me) so he keeps doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
where I now live, most of the younger home owners seem kind-of clueless about how to do stuff around the house, but they seem to have plenty of money to pay others to do it.

house cleaners that also wash and fold clothes appear to be a big plus.
Well, they are providing people work at least. I'll admit I have been pretty spoiled by having a father who knows how to do a lot. When I have space to have actual tools and an actual space to maybe do something, I'll learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or