U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 AM

5,289 posts, read 4,591,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Well it's not just her it;s the entire family. They mention how I always have on shoes in the summer when we go out and never any sneakers. I wear size 13 and think my sneakers will be $50 or more
Wait...what kind of shoes are you wearing in the summer? Because if you are wearing your 'work' shoes (anything in brown or black) you are embarrassing the heck out of your family.

Go on ebay and order a pair of size 13 sneakers, used with tags. OR how about a pair of sport sandals like Tevas? They have sandals like that at Walmart for $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 AM

42,313 posts, read 49,935,746 times
Who cares what they say?

I don't put any credence in how other people think I should spend my money.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:18 AM

1,193 posts, read 637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Wait...what kind of shoes are you wearing in the summer? Because if you are wearing your 'work' shoes (anything in brown or black) you are embarrassing the heck out of your family.

Go on ebay and order a pair of size 13 sneakers, used with tags. OR how about a pair of sport sandals like Tevas? They have sandals like that at Walmart for $20.
I wear a causal loafer type of shoe that you step into

Old 06-13-2016, 01:04 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,196,814 times
Go to Goodwill or any thrift store and buy some sneakers. You can wash them before wearing. Probably cost you $5.00.
Then be done with this problem!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:01 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,828,451 times
Quote:
I wear a causal loafer type of shoe that you step into
I touched on this a little in my earlier comment. Without seeing the actual loafers and the clothes you wear with it, I'm suspecting your shoes either don't match the outfit or situation or you're somehow wearing them in a manner that looks sloppy. I don't know what your needs are. It's possible you need to do a little reflection on your appearance or how you present yourself to others. I'm not suggesting you try to spend huge amounts of money or try to fit into the fashion crowd. When I think of loafers, I think of maybe a pair of shoes that are getting a bit stretched out and a tired/worn look. Is it possible that you've gotten a bit comfortable with what you wear and maybe a bit more updated look would be appropriate for when you leave the house?

I don't like spending money for the sake of spending money. Even with jeans, t-shirts and basic shoes, there are sometimes subtle differences that date us in our looks. It's ok to wear that at home. When we present ourselves in public, we need to present a bit different image. I know you aren't going out with your family to impress them. Maybe they worry about how you fit in with others when you're not with them.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I touched on this a little in my earlier comment. Without seeing the actual loafers and the clothes you wear with it, I'm suspecting your shoes either don't match the outfit or situation or you're somehow wearing them in a manner that looks sloppy. I don't know what your needs are. It's possible you need to do a little reflection on your appearance or how you present yourself to others. I'm not suggesting you try to spend huge amounts of money or try to fit into the fashion crowd. When I think of loafers, I think of maybe a pair of shoes that are getting a bit stretched out and a tired/worn look. Is it possible that you've gotten a bit comfortable with what you wear and maybe a bit more updated look would be appropriate for when you leave the house?

I don't like spending money for the sake of spending money. Even with jeans, t-shirts and basic shoes, there are sometimes subtle differences that date us in our looks. It's ok to wear that at home. When we present ourselves in public, we need to present a bit different image. I know you aren't going out with your family to impress them. Maybe they worry about how you fit in with others when you're not with them.

I was wearing the shoes with jeans and polo shirt

Old 06-16-2016, 11:35 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,421,626 times
I buy those slip-on canvas sneakers at KMart for $10.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:51 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,062,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I was wanting to ask if it was something like this. Yes, if you are wearing dress shoes with shorts or the shoes don't go with the outfit then I understand the concern.

My son has really big feet like that and has these bright orange cheap looking flip flops he likes and it looks terrible. He even does this in winter with a foot of snow on the ground. If we are going out to dinner or something we tell him he's not allowed to wear those.

I think if you only wear them twice a year you will have them for decades. Consider getting a pair.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,062,069 times
Quote:
I was wearing the shoes with jeans and polo shirt
This doesn't sound bad.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
This doesn't sound bad.
Black loafer type of shoes with jeans and a polo shirt.

I'm not sure why she wanted me to have on shorts and sneakers to go eat dinner. Not like we were going to be at an amusement park all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or