U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:24 PM

1,193 posts, read 631,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I recently checked the Philadelphia Phillies schedule. There was 7 games on NBC, 88 games on Comcast Sports Network, and 2 games on TCN (The Comcast Network ). So without a full cable package, your options are very limited if you are a Phillies fan.
Yup same thing with the Sixers but no so much the eagles since they play on regular tv every week. I do cancel my sports package every June to save some money for July and August and add it back the saturday before the start of the NFL season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:34 AM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
There's one other thing you should check out before you make the switch. If you dump cable but keep internet, your bill may not be cut in half, more like cut by 1/3. My cable company charges more for internet only than it charges for internet bundled with TV.

I suspect that if you switch to internet only, then add a Netflix subscription plus pay for the antenna, Roku box, etc., you may end up paying about as much as you are now.
This is what I run into herein Florida. The cable company is Bright house. I have internet and the bare minmum tv channels bundled. I would pay the same amount if I had the internet only. So it does me no good to drop the TV part of the service. I would love to find a way to drop this miserable monthly bill.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 631,802 times
I have accepted the fact that it's no way for a sports fan to eliminate cable.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I have accepted the fact that it's no way for a sports fan to eliminate cable.

sling tv or playstation vue. While you have to pay a fee, (20-30 monthly) it's better than to pay cable's fees.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:05 AM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
HOME THEATER PERSONAL COMPUTER
AND MORE
=\=\=\=\=\=
Things are changing - and fast.
In the “old days” one sought to build a home theater personal computer.

Basically, a PC capable of displaying HDTV quality video (720p, 1080i).
Then it bumped to Blu-Ray (1080p) and now, 4K (2160p).

The programming source could be [] Cable TV (QAM) [] OTA antenna (ATSC) [] Downloaded (ex: Bittorrent) and [] Streaming over the internet.

Depending on the software (Personal Video Recorder - PVR), one could have automated recording functions not unlike TIVO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder

But due to changes in viewing habits - PVRs have changed or been dropped. (BeyondTV is an orphan, SageTV was bought out and discontinued, Microsoft’s Media Center PVR is gone from Win10)
8 Things I Wish I Knew Before Building My First HTPC - My Media Experience -
. . .
With the growth in “smart” TVs, and streaming sources (NETFLIX, HULU, etc), one may dispense with the HTPC entirely. Of course, you lose the storage functionality of the HTPC, but that may or may not be important.
. . .
If you can get “over the air” (OTA) television, you may be pleasantly surprised by the proliferation of auxiliary programming on subchannels (SDTV). Most network affiliates run 1 or 2 subchannels with retread programming from the 1950s, 60s, 70s, etc, etc. In short, if you have the major networks, you’re probably going to have 15 channels or more of movies, retreads, as well as new programming.

And if you do have good reception, the benefit of a HTPC to record multiple channels while you’re away (or watching something else) is self evident. Time shifting allows for easy bypass of annoying advertisements, too.

Blu-Ray and anti-piracy

Playback of Blu-Ray disks can be problematic, depending on the software / hardware you use. Due to the excessive security, and downloaded decoder keys, it is possible for the software not to playback your legitimate disk. I’ve used Leawo software, when my “official” BR software (Power DVD) crapped out. (Long, miserable story deleted)

Another hassle is the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).
If your hardware is not HDCP compliant, some DRM content may not be displayed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-b...ent_Protection
In order to make a device that plays HDCP-enabled works, the manufacturer must obtain a license from Intel subsidiary Digital Content Protection LLC, pay an annual fee, and submit to various conditions.
. . .
Obviously, home brew systems may not have such licenses. And the overhead to run the decoding is just another wasted expense. (Most DVD and BR disks are routinely “cracked” by users who wish to store the content on their hard disk drive - in apparent violation of the law.)
. . .
For LINUX fans, one can build a HTPC using MythTV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythTV
MythTV is a free and open source home entertainment application with a simplified "10-foot user interface" design for the living-room TV, and turns a computer with the necessary hardware into a network streaming digital video recorder, a digital multimedia home entertainment system, or home theater personal computer. It can be considered a free and open source alternative to TiVo or Windows Media Center. It runs on various operating systems, primarily Linux, macOS and FreeBSD.

OTA, antennae, and tuners
Help in selecting suitable antennae - - -
AntennaWeb - Antenna Info
TV Fool
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...-antennas.html
(ClearStream 4 extreme range indoor / outdoor is an excellent UHF antenna, 70+ mile range. The patented loop tunes in a wider range of frequencies.)

My favorite tuner:
HDHomeRun by SiliconDust
https://www.silicondust.com/
Why HDHR?
1. It’s connected to your LAN, not a specific computer.
2. Any computer on your LAN can access the tuner.
3. Very reliable.
4. You can place it near the antenna, regardless of where your TVs or personal computers are.
5. Stream live TV to Android Based Media Players, AppleTV4, Android Phones and Tablets, SmartTV’s, PCs, All in ones, Ultrabooks, Games consoles (PlayStation & XBOX).
(FYI: a typical 10/100 LAN can probably support up to 4 tuners without a problem)

Old 10-12-2016, 11:02 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,234,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
A free option is Kodi (XBMC). It is an app you load on your computer and it allows you to stream TV, movies, music etc. for free. If you want you can also purchase a raspberry pi computer for ~$50 with KODI pre-installed.

Cheaper than paying for a service and it gives far more programs than anything else I have ever encountered.
Piracy is always cheaper than legitimate services.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Piracy is always cheaper than legitimate services.
If you call charging people almost $200/mo for television services, 90%+ channels you don't want, & you still have to sit through commercials. Then when you have a problem you have to wait forever for a cable rep to answer the phone.. if you call that "legitimate", well I call it a racket... especially in places like where I live & there isn't any market competition for the cable tv/internet service.

The marketplace also includes consumers & we need to send the greedy cable companies a message with the means at our disposal to get their attention.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
For those who have wanted to try Hulu, there is a forty-five day free trial if you purchase through Groupon. I set a reminder in my phone to cancel the service if I don't want it after the forty-five days. (Yes, they tell you upfront you will otherwise be billed.)

Old 10-18-2016, 06:01 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,159,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
if you call that "legitimate", well I call it a racket...
Flipping the meaning of words to their opposite to make your personal appraisal seem reasonable is nonsense.

Quote:
especially in places like where I live & there isn't any market competition for the cable tv/internet service.
There is effective competition for subscription video service in every jurisdiction in the United States. You may not like your choices, but you have such a sufficient array of choices that, in accordance with the law, certain restrictions on the industry have actually been relaxed in recent years.

Quote:
The marketplace also includes consumers & we need to send the greedy cable companies a message with the means at our disposal to get their attention.
How about just living without their services?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people feeding at the trough, so it is difficult to single out just the cable company. Disney is probably the biggest winner under the current system with ESPN family.

My cable company costs $163 for triple play and includes $5 for Starz. They were charging $158 for triple play in December 2005. In the 11 years the internet speed went from 5 Mbps to 50 Mbps, they converted TV to digital, nearly every channel is HD, we now have wireless, 1 terabye drive for DVR recordings, most channels have video on demand, and a variety of channels like Sundance, IFC, FXX are included. We have almost no antenna reception outside of PBS so that's not an option.

I would probably cut out the TV and just use streaming options, but my parents are very technophobic and they like cable TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or