U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:11 AM

202 posts, read 127,218 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get rid of cable and buy an antenna; however, what about internet access to my computer?

At one point I had looked into getting EarthLink and was told , after their sales pitch, that I'd still need to get comcast hookup to use three modem-and the modem was sent to me from Comcast.

I returned it because I did not want a cable bill every month.

Anyone know of other independent options for internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
I'd like to get rid of cable and buy an antenna; however, what about internet access to my computer?

At one point I had looked into getting EarthLink and was told , after their sales pitch, that I'd still need to get comcast hookup to use three modem-and the modem was sent to me from Comcast.

I returned it because I did not want a cable bill every month.

I would recommend that you consider using a phone line.

My son is currently exploring the use of: Outernet
https://outernet.is/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...e-data-radio#/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outernet

Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,206,832 times
I JUST realized how much of a ripoff cable is. The package I got through Dish Network is normally $93 dollars, but with all of my "good customer discounts", I pay only 57.99. Even with $57.99, it's still incredibly high for me since I only watch live sports.

My contract ends in Dec 2017, but I was thinking about cancelling after basketball season (June) and paying their ETO of a $100 or so. Then I want to switch over to Hulu and pay only $7.99 a month. Then when the NBA season rolls around, i'll just get sling tv ($20 for sling + hulu cost) or ps vue ($29 flat fee) to watch my basketball.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:05 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,505,813 times
I bought the antenna first then disconnected the cable. The reception was surprisingly really good. I watched mostly ION and the game show network. At times, I would have issues with ABC and Bounce but overall it worked very well. I went to the library during my off days to get movies for free. Free is good when you are on a strict budget. I decided to turn cable back on when I secured a higher paying job. It is expensive but I watch it quite a bit. I considered Hulu but I do not think that is a viable option for me.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 921,067 times
Hulu plus!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,652,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
I went without for years because I just couldn't justify the expense. I did the essentials (email, paying bills, e-filing my taxes, etc.) during breaks at work, and went to the library for surfing, Facebook, etc. Most restaurants offer free wifi for their customers, when I got a tablet I would sometimes go for a cup of coffee and surf.

If you really need it at home you might try moving within range of a library or some other place that offers free wifi access. If you've got a smartphone and a good data plan I believe there are apps that let you use your phone as a hotspot. There are also companies like Wild Blue that offer dedicated satellite service for internet, you would just have to google to see what might be available in your area. And as Submariner said, sometimes the local phone company is the best deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or