U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM

1,284 posts, read 627,376 times

Advertisements

Okay, how does this work? Do I buy the antenna, hook it up and then call the cable company? Or cancel the cable first?

Do I still need very basic cable for decent reception or will an antenna provide that?

I only pay about $100.00 for BOTH cable and internet right now, but fifty bucks is fifty bucks. I only watched a few shows, and they have all ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 PM

273 posts, read 652,065 times
It doesn't really matter which you do first, but it's probably not a bad idea to get the antenna and hook it up first so that you can see what you'll get before you cut the cord. Depending on where you live, you may get many or just a few channels over the air. If you're in or at least near a major metro area, you should get all the main networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, CW). Many if not most of the other channels will be foreign language, religious, and infomercials.

You can get a preview of which channels you can expect at your address on antennaweb.org.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:49 PM

10,873 posts, read 18,993,907 times
Since you're keeping the internet (which is a good idea) sign up for a streaming service and you'll always have something to watch. I have Netflix and I'm thinking about Hulu Plus.

As far as the antenna, get a good antenna and put it near a window and high enough up that people won't be walking between it and the window, if possible. I keep my antenna stuck in a fake plant to hide it. I get all the local channels but I watch the news and that's it. The rest is all Netflix.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM

5,290 posts, read 4,594,445 times
I bought two different antennas and couldn't get either to work. So we stream everything. No big deal.

I guess you have to decide if you can live without TV for a couple of days during your transition.

I cut the cable at the end of a billing cycle.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Tell me more about "streaming", I am not up on these things. There is no additional monthly fee for that? I know it means to watch tv on the net, but how does it work?

Don't Netflix and Hulu have a fee? What is the fee?

Orange and Blue, yes, I'm in a metro area, fortunately.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 775,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Tell me more about "streaming", I am not up on these things. There is no additional monthly fee for that? I know it means to watch tv on the net, but how does it work?

Don't Netflix and Hulu have a fee? What is the fee?

Orange and Blue, yes, I'm in a metro area, fortunately.
You can get a pretty good HD antenna for about $30-$40. Check Costco if you have a membership. This will give you all the local channels and those broadcast over the air (lots of Spanish-speaking channels and church channels)

As for fees on some of the popular services:

Netflix: $9.99/mo - but I hear this might be going up to $11.99/mo pretty soon (still a good value IMO); No ads
Hulu Plus: $9.99/mo with ads; $14.99/mo without ads
HBO Now: $14.99/mo
Amazon Prime: Included in your $99/yr Prime account; it's a really good value IMO if you account for free 2-day shipping and Prime Music that is included

Old 06-15-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
You can get a pretty good HD antenna for about $30-$40. Check Costco if you have a membership. This will give you all the local channels and those broadcast over the air (lots of Spanish-speaking channels and church channels)

As for fees on some of the popular services:

Netflix: $9.99/mo - but I hear this might be going up to $11.99/mo pretty soon (still a good value IMO); No ads
Hulu Plus: $9.99/mo with ads; $14.99/mo without ads
HBO Now: $14.99/mo
Amazon Prime: Included in your $99/yr Prime account; it's a really good value IMO if you account for free 2-day shipping and Prime Music that is included

So with the Netflix $ 9.99 per month, is that unlimited movies and TV or is there some kind of limit? Then you just go to their website, pick your movie and start playing it on the computer?

Sounds better than $ 50.00 a month.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:20 PM

10,873 posts, read 18,993,907 times
Netflix is unlimited movies and TV as long as Netflix has it available for streaming. They don't have everything. They do have enough to watch for a couple of years without running out of things to watch, and they add (and remove) content regularly to keep things fresh. With the cheapest option, you can use Netflix on two devices at one time.

You have to be able to get the signal to your TV. A bluray player with WIFI is the easiest way to make it happen and they don't cost much anymore. If you have a game console, that works too. I have a PS3 that we use for Netflix, and in the bedrooms we have bluray players with WIFI. If you have the app open on your phone or tablet and it's connected to the same WIFI that your tv, roku, bluray player, game console, etc. is connected to, you can search for movies on the phone or tablet and watch them on the tv. The search interface for the tv is pretty decent though, better than the one for Hulu Plus and much better than the one for Amazon Prime.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 775,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
So with the Netflix $ 9.99 per month, is that unlimited movies and TV or is there some kind of limit? Then you just go to their website, pick your movie and start playing it on the computer?

Sounds better than $ 50.00 a month.
You'll have unlimited access to their library. They have some of the shows from cable, but they are also developing a lot of premium original contact. I think most people will agree that it's a pretty good bargain at $9.99/mo.

Another thing to consider is a good streaming device to use. There are some affordable blu-ray players out there with built in access to Netflix, Hulu, etc. There are some other relatively affordable devices where you can access online channels, such as Roku, Chromecast, and Apple TV. I suggest Googling these to find out which might be best for you.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM

1,396 posts, read 673,897 times
You can hook up an HDMI cable from your computer to your TV, so you don't have to watch it on your computer. Or, you can get a device like Fire TV Stick so you don't have to use an HDMI cable. There are several devices you could use instead of a cable. We don't use an antenna at all, simply stream everything.

We have Netflix, and we use free Hulu (I personally wouldn't pay for Hulu), and very occasionally I'll buy current TV show episodes on amazon.com (I don't have Prime, just get a video once in a while). They are usually available the day after they air on TV. I've done that maybe 10 times, very rarely.

Netflix does not have current TV show episodes, but it's very fun to binge on shows that have several seasons that have already aired.

We don't watch a lot of sports but so far have always been able to find Seahawks games in various different places on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or