U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 AM

2,929 posts, read 1,432,939 times

Advertisements

I'd say that money will be a bit tight but not bad. You can do just fine with Netflix at $8-10/mt instead of cable. Since this is your starting wage, there should be adjustments in the income. The benefits are very good and, I believe, summers are off.

I have learned to live in poverty after a well off relative used their government locksmith training to relieve me of a large bucket and a bankers box of silver. That was going to complete my home. Having no plumbing and living in the 30's and 40's (F) during the winter is a bit of a challenge.

The worst thing about almost no money is that the majority of activities cost money. I do a lot of walking with the dogs. Sometimes I splurge and drive a few miles to see some new scenery. You will have enough money to stay busy...you will be fine. Avoid large credit card debt above all else. Spend some time on discussion boards that discuss frugal living. It is more the lifestyle than the income...

Perhaps you can befriend a federal employee or contractor. Most of them seemingly realize six figure incomes now that our government enjoys unlimited funding...

Last edited by ColoGuy; 06-30-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Please read the sub-discussion we were having.
(It was about men's dating expenses.)
-OP is femailian.

The point of the post you quoted was that COL matters in a general sense
Call me old fashioned, but when I was in my 20s, I went on dates which involved fishing and the guy brought the picnic lunch. You either like the guy, or you don't. I never expected to be wined and dined. I assumed that because I had expenses and a budget, that he did too.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:49 PM

5,476 posts, read 8,165,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Call me old fashioned, but when I was in my 20s, I went on dates which involved fishing and the guy brought the picnic lunch. You either like the guy, or you don't. I never expected to be wined and dined. I assumed that because I had expenses and a budget, that he did too.

As a previous poster said... they still cost money, and they add up.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:33 PM

115 posts, read 85,255 times
If you can find a decent apartment or house that costs <$500 a month you'll be ok. Should be relatively easy unless you live in one of those expensive cities. Thankfully, I don't.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:11 AM

11,317 posts, read 5,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What city? Is it high or low COL? And how much can you expect to be making 5 years from now?
They already said their rent is $690. That's the main difference between a high COL and low COL area.

$32K is going to be tight. $10K is eaten up between rent & utilities. The car eats $5K between car payment, insurance, registration, inspection, maintenance, and a bit of gasoline. If the car is driven a lot, it will be more than that. Nobody escapes the 7.65% payroll tax unless it's a town job in a state that opts out of Social Security (a very bad long-term financial move). That's another $2,160. There's probably an employee contribution for medical/dental. $2,800 in Federal income taxes. Probably state income taxes.

I see about $1,000/month in disposable income that could be less depending on what state income taxes and employee contributions to benefits are. It's better than Ramen noodles but they'll have to manage their money pretty carefully. There isn't going to be a lot of spare cash for restaurants, entertainment, or non-essential travel. They'll have to be really careful about things like cell phone, internet, and cable/video. If they cook almost all their own food to control that cost, it's modest but comfortable.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM

115 posts, read 85,255 times
Why not move if you can't find anything cheaper than $690 a month? I'm finding all kinds of apartments here in Ohio for $500 and under. I even saw one the other day for $325 a month. $690 is a lot of money to spend on rent.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM

328 posts, read 247,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
Why not move if you can't find anything cheaper than $690 a month? I'm finding all kinds of apartments here in Ohio for $500 and under. I even saw one the other day for $325 a month. $690 is a lot of money to spend on rent.
$325 in rent will get you an abandoned crack house in my city. I don't know anywhere you can rent a 1 bedroom apartment that cheap and not put your life in danger. $500 for a 1br will get you into an apartment complex with a good percentage of the tenants having subsidized apartments. Along with that you will have general safety issues, bugs, bad maintenance, and probably a bad office staff. You don't start to break away from this until you get in the $600+ range.

One thing that I've noted from reading C-D, is that it seems that housing and renting in the Midwest is cheaper than the south to get the same quality of living.

I also made around $32k at one point like the OP with an almost identical rent and car note payment. She's at the limit of what she can afford in rent, though. It's doable but you will only have about $200-250 extra income per month for the most part and only can afford to mismanage your money a few times a year. Also you really can't save much. It's a very working class salary for much of the south.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 PM

1,239 posts, read 613,317 times
Quote:

$ 690.00 in my city wouldn't even get you an efficiency in cracktown.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:55 PM

1,193 posts, read 632,628 times
Quote:

You don't want to go to low because then you will be in a high crime area.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:18 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
$325 in rent will get you an abandoned crack house in my city.
You live in an expensive CITY. Did it escape your notice that you live in a CITY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or