U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 04:57 PM

525 posts, read 264,109 times

Advertisements

I live in a mid size city that is constantly growing. The only problem is that I have little to no cash left because I am in the process of finding decorative items for my place. Once I am done with that then I will have a reasonable amount of cash left
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 PM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
not in california. 32k is the new minimum wage.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
not in california. 32k is the new minimum wage.

Which is why I prefer the south 32k in many areas in the south is middle class income or beginning middle class income

Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,773 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I live in a mid size city that is constantly growing. The only problem is that I have little to no cash left because I am in the process of finding decorative items for my place. Once I am done with that then I will have a reasonable amount of cash left
Enjoy the Thrift Shops! Get an idea of what is in demand.

One of my SIL teachers does eBay, cuz she can get to high end Garage Sales first thing Sat Morning, and list items by Sunday night. She sticks to jewelry and small collectables amd designer shoes due to small space.

Another teacher friend does Alaska fishing. $30,000 in 6 weeks of summer

Many do wildland firefighting $20 - $30k during summer

I did weekend commercial trucking, (tough schedule for employers to fill, and it paid well)

It never hurts to learn a skilled trade.

Many years ago, my excellent high tech employer would hire teachers for summer so employees could take the summer off. That brought technology to the classroom and good pay to teachers.

My teacher sis, went and got her RN and worked (3) 12 hr weekend night shifts, so she could teach weekdays.

Hopefully you can fine a high paying skill, and /or keep your expenses low. I have been getting along with <$100 cars for 40 yrs. if you need something for a weekend trip, you can rent Enterprise for $9.99/ weekend day.

We also eat on $100/ month, includes entertainment. We volunteer at expensive entertainment venues if we want a night out.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:35 PM

473 posts, read 283,357 times
Let's late a look:

$32,000 - Less tax rate of 20%
$25,600 - Take Home / 12 Months = $2134 Montly

Health Insurance: TOO VARIABLE TO GUESS
Rent: $700
Car Payment: $259
Car Insurance: $125 (Since you are under 25)
Electric Bill: $150
Water Bill: $25
Trash/Snow/Mowing: Provided by landlord?
Cell: $90
Cable/Internet: $85
----------------
Fixed Bills Total: $1434

Food: $150+
Gasoline: $80
Pet: ?
Toiletries: $50
Cleaning Products: $15 Month
Hair/Nails/The Look: $70
Laundry money: $50
Entertainment: $100
-------------------------
Variable Bills Total: $515

TOTAL BASIC EXPENSES: $1949

What else can happen:
**I'm assuming you have no student loans or other debts.**
1. You probably live in state where you have to pay property taxes on vehicle. How much?
2. How much clothing will you need annually? Where do you plan to purchase said clothing - clearance rack or top notch?
3. I'm sure you will want to do some very expensive outings, restaurants/bars and vacations in years to come.
4. Your car WILL break down.
5. You don't have dental insurance and you need a crown or pull a molar tooth in the back.?
6. You broke your glasses. The optometrists do the best job writing glasses prescriptions and sell the best glasses/contacts, not the 1 hour mall places. Either could break, but the mall places make much cheaper glasses by my experience. DO CALL AND ASK ABOUT A WARRANTY IF YOU GET EXCESSIVE WEAR OR GLASSES BROKE.

Some savings opportunities:
1. Track all your spending for 3 months to get a good average of your regular expenses. Plan to put the extra into a savings account on day of each paycheck to begin your emergency fund. This is pay yourself first. You may need to dip into the this money a few times when you first get started saving, but eventually you may choose to challenge yourself to save even more money by making some changes to how you live. If you get a bonus or raise, increase the amount of money put into emergency fund.
2. Once your emergency fund equals 6-9 months of normal living expenses, consider next moves like ROTH IRA, CD to save for home purchase.
3. Company provided 401k are notoriously low performers. Consider only putting in enough money to 401k to get the company match, put rest into Roth IRA.
4. Evaluate if you really do need a vehicle. A car is a big pain in some urban neighborhoods with lots of on-street parking, lots of tickets for not moving the vehicle frequently enough, train is easier for some commutes. May only use car couple times a month, so can be easier to just rent a vehicle for the day or hourly rentals. With car payment at $259, car insurance only at $4 a day, gasoline running $2.66 daily, taxes at $1.23 daily ($450 annual taxes/365days) and maintenance/small repairs at ($1000/12) $2.74 daily. Hitting the bus at $4 round trip can be a real savings as long as you are living on same bus route as work, basics are available in your own neighborhood in easy walking distance and bus runs as late as you regularly need transportation. Taxi is a cheap way home from bars, won't get you a DUI and thousands in fines/attorney fees.
5. Consider improving domestic skills: Cook dinners at home and take leftovers to work. Plan to bring own snacks and drinks to work too in order to save more. Drink/entertain at home. Skip a pet if it will keep you from working OT at work, consider a cat if this is the case. Wear outfits twice. Don't buy dry clean clothing. Wash clothing in cold and hang up to dry to get LOTS more use from work clothing. Learn how to hem and replace buttons to save more if you are short. Iron your own clothing on Sunday night and pick out 5 outfits for week, then place all in hall closet so you just shower, put on outfit, primp a bit and go.
6. Avoid getting into debt. ONe credit card paid off monthly WILL give you a great credit score in 9 months though....
7. Scrutinize your entertainment - parties at home, crafts, outdoors stuff, free events in your community, free days at the museums, kid sports, apartment pool, cheap ebooks, low end art supplies or electronics are much better ways to spend your money than a ton of nights at the bars. Meetup.com can be GREAT way to get a social group in a new city and most of the groups advertising there are very reasonably priced.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Enjoy the Thrift Shops! Get an idea of what is in demand.

One of my SIL teachers does eBay, cuz she can get to high end Garage Sales first thing Sat Morning, and list items by Sunday night. She sticks to jewelry and small collectables amd designer shoes due to small space.

Another teacher friend does Alaska fishing. $30,000 in 6 weeks of summer

Many do wildland firefighting $20 - $30k during summer

I did weekend commercial trucking, (tough schedule for employers to fill, and it paid well)

It never hurts to learn a skilled trade.

Many years ago, my excellent high tech employer would hire teachers for summer so employees could take the summer off. That brought technology to the classroom and good pay to teachers.

My teacher sis, went and got her RN and worked (3) 12 hr weekend night shifts, so she could teach weekdays.

Hopefully you can fine a high paying skill, and /or keep your expenses low. I have been getting along with <$100 cars for 40 yrs. if you need something for a weekend trip, you can rent Enterprise for $9.99/ weekend day.

We also eat on $100/ month, includes entertainment. We volunteer at expensive entertainment venues if we want a night out.
I was going to do tutoring part time. I set my prices to 30/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or