U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 PM

16,180 posts, read 7,101,807 times

Advertisements

Please, from whom can you get internet that is *not* bundled with TV and a landline????

I have a cell phone. I despise most commercial TV offerings. All I want is internet, and I can't get it. (Unless I go with satellite, and that is nearly $100/mo.) I live in the Seattle area if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 04:15 PM

391 posts, read 198,239 times
I don't watch TV so I gave up cable for good two years ago... before that I'd have it simply because it was the same as internet alone (I did not pay rental for the box), comcast.

When I went with verizon it was much cheaper to pay for my internet router out of pocket and then purchase only internet. Again, no box rentals. I looked for maybe $5 basic cable addon and it was like $30 or $40 more a month (cable, plus the mandatory box fees and taxes). Crazy.

Internet without cable has little to no fees or (more important) much, much less taxes.

I call tv "The Stupid Box".

Old 07-05-2016, 04:20 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times
^^^^^Where I live, you can get internet only from Comcast.

But there is a catch.... (at least in my area) - its cheaper to get a bundle of TV+internet than to just get internet alone.

I told the rep on the phone that I don't need the TV (I use DirecTV). She said, well, just put the cable box in the closet. So that is what I did. Since my bundle includes TV (even though I don't use it), I also get HBO Go, so I just watch that on my computer.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM

423 posts, read 363,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Please, from whom can you get internet that is *not* bundled with TV and a landline????

I have a cell phone. I despise most commercial TV offerings. All I want is internet, and I can't get it. (Unless I go with satellite, and that is nearly $100/mo.) I live in the Seattle area if that helps.
Charter here in mn. Internet alone is 59.99. Bundled with TV it's like 53, so it's not a huge deal to get it separately. Of course when I called to cancel they ordered to lower the price of my TV service lol. Nope!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 PM

3,616 posts, read 3,884,595 times
I have no social life, so I'm not spending money there. Thats how I justify my $110 per month for cable. Still, I would love to figure out how the millennials get around paying for it with the internet, roku, apple tv, etc. Not sure where to start with all the tech stuff.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,349,307 times
But won't you miss all those religious and shopping channels?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:39 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
But won't you miss all those religious and shopping channels?
And the same commercial repeatedly during the same program?

When I finally convinced my cable rep that I really, truly did not want ANY television channels, just internet, I got it down to about $55.00 a month, which is fine. I explained that it's not just the cost of the cable, it's the crap shows, which the cable companies don't control. I'm not paying for the absolute they want to show. When I found that 99% of the time I was watching PBS anyway (and commercial free at that), I cut the cord, and the cost.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times
Oh, also forgot that mention that the $55.00 includes a land line ($10.00) a month which we actually use for our home phone. We have also ditched the smart phones and gone to TracFones and pay about $10.00 for minutes for our, very reliable, admittedly not "status" symbol, phones.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 PM

9,065 posts, read 9,225,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
No, I was saying I pay $60, which is what the OP said he was going to be paying, and someone else commented that $60/month was high for internet.

I could save a few bucks by going with a slower speed, but both of my kids take online classes with real-time video interaction between them and the teachers, so it has to be fast enough to do that.
OK, I got lost with the prices going back and forth.

TV delivered via internet probably means ala-carte TV channel pricing , or at least smaller and smaller bundles. SlingTV is an example since it has a $20 and a $25 basic TV package, then it has a variety of $5 add ons.

Needham & Co. media analyst Laura Martin took a stab at the cost to the industry of ala-carte TV channel pricing in her 2013 study. Families typically watch only about 16 to 20 channels even though they have access to an average of 180 different channels -- which is why so many consumers are eager to be able to pick and choose which channels they receive rather than being forced to buy packages with dozens of channels they may not want.

"Our calculations conclude that $80 billion to $113 billion of U.S. consumer value would be destroyed by this shrinking channel choice," She determined that the economic costs would be enormous because so many smaller channels would disappear -- at least 124 channels -- wiping out an estimated 1.4 million jobs in media. Martin figured that at least $45 billion in TV advertising would be at risk. The Needham report estimates that it costs media companies an average of $280 million annually to run an entertainment cable channel. (The costs to program a sports channel -- with big-ticket sports -- are much higher).

That means a channel requires at least 165,000 viewers over the course of a year to break even. "By implication, about 56 channels would survive, and 124 channels would disappear, based on 2012 viewing levels," Martin wrote.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:39 AM

26,848 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
No, I was saying I pay $60, which is what the OP said he was going to be paying,
and someone else commented that $60/month was high for internet.
I said it seemed high.
But I also asked about how many Mbps it's paying for.
Without THAT number the price number is about meaningless.

Example the water bill thread...
almost no one describes how many gallons or CF of water that $X is paying for.
Let alone distinguishing that water charge from anything else on the bill
(eg, sewer, storm water fees, trash what ever else)

So... how many MB do you get for $60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
That means a channel requires at least 165,000 viewers over the course of a year to break even.
"By implication, about 56 channels would survive, and 124 channels would disappear"
Cool. There's only about 20 that would ever be watched in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living