U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:06 PM

274 posts, read 296,745 times

Advertisements

I wish my family would ditch their cable. I'm not sure what they're paying at the moment. I imagine its not cheap since we have phone and internet too. The only way I keep up on sports is by going to the NBA or NFL websites. Oh yeah, you can save some money on movies by renting them at redbox if you have one in your area and just rip them to your computer. Then, you can watch them anytime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,120,808 times
I like to watch TELEMUNDO ....I like to watch all those wonderful Jiggley, Jugglely Senioritas......I get it FREE ....in H-Deeee....with a $10 Antenaeeeeee.....Woooeeeeee.!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:45 PM

275 posts, read 225,375 times
What's TV?

Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 AM

2,757 posts, read 2,174,096 times
I'm bout ready to get rid of it all.
Not worth the big money I pay for it.
I don't agree with anything on TV anyway.
A bunch of nuts.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:54 PM

300 posts, read 197,328 times
What they really need to do is do a pay by channel option. For instance, charge X amount of dollars for whatever channels you want. I would save a ton, I only watch a few channels.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:42 PM

862 posts, read 568,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
What they really need to do is do a pay by channel option. For instance, charge X amount of dollars for whatever channels you want. I would save a ton, I only watch a few channels.
We all would like that....but I won't happen. You would end up paying a lot, still. For instance, ESPN is by far the most popular cable channel. They said to just pay for that one channel would cost each person $31 a month.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,835 posts, read 37,528,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
What's TV?
yeah, the last TV program I watched was in 1968.
It was a wake-up call to how much time I was wasting, so poof, no more TV.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM

13,447 posts, read 24,241,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have no social life, so I'm not spending money there. Thats how I justify my $110 per month for cable. Still, I would love to figure out how the millennials get around paying for it with the internet, roku, apple tv, etc. Not sure where to start with all the tech stuff.
Roku is very easy. Promise! You pay once for the little hockey puck device, usually under $100. Then I pay less than $10 per month for Netflix and Amazon each. Pretty cheap compared to cable but you do need decent internet and wifi. An extra expense for me was buying and installing a wifi extender so the TV's would get a better signal.

I tried SlingTv for a few months but didn't watch it enough to justify the price.

The Roku connects to your TV with an HDMI cable. You go to Roku.com, set up your account and subscribe to the channels you want. Many are free, I found one that streams the local news right after it is broadcast and there are several weather channels as well.

I think what I like the most is watching when I want. Almost everything is on demand.

The tech thing is not hard! And I'm an old bag, not a millennial!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,359,313 times
I had Direct TV for years and would shut it off for 6 months during the Spring and Summer and restart it for the Winter months. Finally, they told me I couldn't do that anymore. I had to purchase all year long. The monthly fee was climbing and it had reached about $80. I cancelled it instead and that was 8 years ago. I still receive junk mail from them with low rate entry offers.

When I had it, I watched it more on weekends when off work, and it was full of infomercials on every channel. I would instead flip over to the antenna. High definition antenna tv now has around 52 channels compared to 2 when I was a kid. There are plenty of viewing options.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 PM

6,038 posts, read 6,539,453 times
I'm about ready to switch.I'm going to call the new provider, and set up an install date.
Then the day before -- I'll call the company I'm with, IF they DO NOT match the deal I'm getting to switch. before the call is over I'll tell them cut it off. And I'll only be down for one day.

I never used to be a "switch every two years" person. I HATE SWITCHING.
But now at 190 a month for a triple play, I've finally reached my limit.
Lower my bill or I'm switching…if they don't care to keep me as a customer, if they'd rather have ZERO percent of $0 -- than 100% of $100a month, then I don't' care either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living