U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 PM

9,066 posts, read 9,225,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Is there is something comparable in the Comcast world?
Amazon Starts Selling Comcast Xfinity TV, Internet Service | Variety
Amazon.com Starts Selling Comcast Xfinity TV, Internet Service

While amazon may not sell services for less that Xfinity, you may have the advantage of being able to secure newcomer rates without having to go without service for 60-90 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yeah, they are ridiculous with the unbundled rates. But, I did some research yesterday afternoon and found she can get TWC internet at a much reduced rate just by calling EarthLink. Back in the day, EarthLink was the TWC internet solution. Then TWC bought the EarthLink network and rebranded it as Road Runner. But, EarthLink retained the right to sell TWC internet as an authorized reseller.

All she has to do is call EarthLink and they "change" her service to their brand with no install charge or interruption in service since it's a change in name only and not equipment or network. And it's $29.99 for the first 6 months and then $31.95 if you have your own modem or $41.95 if you keep the TWC one. And your bill still comes from TWC.

So a quick phone call and her 50 MBPS internet service goes from $99.99 a month to $29.99. WIN!!

My Earthlink is more than that but I also have it through TWC. Just letting you know the service works just fine. I've hardly ever had any outages in the years and years that I've had it and most of my, "What happened to my internet?!?" requires just resetting the box.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 480 times
Wink baby steps to rabbit ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
This is the first time in my life I've gone without cable. I was paying $190 for cable TV and Internet. I am now only paying $59.99 for Internet.

Cable TV is just excessively expensive. We rarely even watch it. I'll miss it during football season for sure, but not for the prices they demand.

Seems a lot of folks use amazon tv, Netflix and other streaming services. You can't beat the convenience of cable, but the insane prices are insulting. Cable will be obsolete soon at this rate.
I'm right behind you Tony, I have been paying these high prices for satellite dish for years. Don't miss a payment they will shut you off, but when a storm rolls in and the dish blows down they won't take a dime off of your bill. I decided that maybe it isn't all that wonderful anymore. I cut it to the bare minimum and have a ROKU box now so that I can stream shows and image the things I can binge watch now. It does have its advantage. I'm thinking Rabbit Ears aren't all that bad of an idea. So in my baby steps, I'm stepping toward canceling the who K-Bang by next month.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:41 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,773,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammysherry View Post
I'm right behind you Tony, I have been paying these high prices for satellite dish for years. Don't miss a payment they will shut you off, but when a storm rolls in and the dish blows down they won't take a dime off of your bill. I decided that maybe it isn't all that wonderful anymore. I cut it to the bare minimum and have a ROKU box now so that I can stream shows and image the things I can binge watch now. It does have its advantage. I'm thinking Rabbit Ears aren't all that bad of an idea. So in my baby steps, I'm stepping toward canceling the who K-Bang by next month.
My question remains How do you get internet to make ROKU (or any other streaming service) work? I need cable or DSL to get a network connection.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM

9,066 posts, read 9,225,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
My question remains How do you get internet to make ROKU (or any other streaming service) work? I need cable or DSL to get a network connection.
Yes you do need internet. But my cable company provides Internet at 25 Mbps for $30 a month for the first year ($40 and $50 for years 2 and 3).
Phone service from the cable company is only $10, but there is $13 in add on in taxes and fees. Most people don't bother with phone by itself. Verizon charges over $60 for a landline phone with unlimited nationwide calling. So internet alone is usually cheaper than a phone line.

Hughes Network will sell you internet from satelllite, but it is usually more expensive and is generally only purchased by people who do not have the wire option.
https://www.earthlink.net/access/satellite.faces

The only thing you can get without a monthly fee is antenna service. There are options besides VCRs to record over the air signals, but if you only get a few channels, a VCR is still the cheapest way to time shift.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:56 PM

13,116 posts, read 9,205,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The only thing you can get without a monthly fee is antenna service. There are options besides VCRs to record over the air signals, but if you only get a few channels, a VCR is still the cheapest way to time shift.[NO]
All OTA signals are HDTV (720p, 1080i). All VCRs only record 480i. You will need a converter box on the antenna and thus can only record ONE channel at a time.

On the other hand - - -
You can get an HDTV tuner (or tuners) and use your personal computer as a video recorder.
There are many options.

HDHomeRun has an excellent outboard tuner that connects, via RJ45, to your home LAN / Ethernet.
This way, you can use any PC to tune in live over-the-air broadcasts.

Most folks just set up a Personal Video Recorder (PVR), and stream programming to remote PCs / TVs (that have Ethernet ports).
. . .
https://www.silicondust.com/

(I've had good results with Hauppauge tuners. In the past, before the digital changeover, AMD/ATI had some of the best - most reliable tuner cards, but they dropped the line completely after the switch. One "monster" card had a built in graphics processor and could link a second tuner, for picture in picture. Sigh - I miss it.)
Hauppauge: HD video recorders
. . .
One caveat - due to the shift in viewing habits and streaming via internet, several DVR/PVR applications have become orphans (BeyondTV, SageTV, M$ MediaCenter was dropped after Win7). Some are still out there - GBPVR / NextPVR (free, open source).
. . .
http://www.nextpvr.com/
. . .
Some technical info and background . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...corder#Windows
. . .
In the "old days" the issue was getting a good source of program data to use to schedule your PVR. Some companies 'scraped' data from multiple sources. And other software houses would use their database for 'smart' recording (based on titles, actors, categories, new/repeat, etc, not unlike TIVO on the cheapo).

Ex: Zap2It and TitanTV were often used by software producers to sync up their PVRs. Some were very well designed, so that you could click on a program in Zap2It or TitanTV, and your software PVR would automagically schedule a recording for you.
. . .
The issue is 'some' vendors have proprietary PVRs that don't play nice with others.
I still run an orphan BeyondTV, because it still works with my mix-n-match group of tuners... And was stuck buying their streaming software for multiple remote play back.
. . .
For super tweak home theater PC folks - you're going to max out your LAN with (4) channels of HDHomeRun (two dual units), and probably overload your hard drive if you try to record 6+ channels simultaneously (easy to do on a football recording binge).

One option is to set up a RAID.
In my earlier days when I had 7 tuners on a QAM feed, I ran a RAID 0 with 4 drives. That puppy could run fast - record 7 channels and stream 2 programs without a hiccough on a 10/100 LAN.
. . .
For LINUX users, there's one choice MYTH TV.
Like LINUX, super reliable, and not likely to crash and burn like Micro$oft Window$.
Guide (written by a user in the UK):
Complete guide to MythTV | TechRadar
. . .
Hope this helps.

Addendum: WiFi claims to be capable of handling HDTV streams, but in my experience, it does not. You would be better off hard wiring any remote playback unit (computer, smart TV) with CAT5/6 cable and RJ45 connectors.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:58 AM

201 posts, read 126,182 times
Default Fios internet without landline

I have a bundle package with Verizon. Can I cancel the landline and cable and just keep internet? If so, what would this cost?

Old 12-20-2016, 12:06 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,900,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
I have a bundle package with Verizon. Can I cancel the landline and cable and just keep internet? If so, what would this cost?
You need to ask Verizon.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,021,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Football is almost always on broadcast TV. Get an antenna and provided you do not live in the boonies you will have HD football at your fingertips. A cheapo 10 buck antenna is all that is needed.

I do live in the boonies where neither cable nor fiber optics are available. And do get HD football over the air. It has problems though. Windy days distort some channels. Some channels simply disappear regardless of weather and I have to periodically rescan. This is a good thing in a way because the rescan picks up new channels that were added.

Internet is a choice between a mom&pop service ISP and Exede satellite. I use both. The ISP is $19.95 for just under 1mb. That's my backup. The Exede is a whopping $110.58 a month for 15mb. To tell the truth the Exede isn't that much faster except for YouTube songs.

If cable were available out here, I'd get it for TV and Internet, the increasing costs notwithstanding.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:25 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,425,758 times
I cut cable last year just kept internet with comcast. I have antennas on my tv's i still have old school tube tvs for now. I get about 40+ channels with the antennas. All my locals for sports and news and some channels are old school channels that show classic tv shows which i dont mind.

I pay $60 a month for internet that includes $10 rental of the modem/router. The more people who cut cable will simply increase the cost of internet in the future though. You just can't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living