U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2016, 10:30 AM
 
423 posts, read 363,669 times
Reputation: 405

Advertisements

This is the first time in my life I've gone without cable. I was paying $190 for cable TV and Internet. I am now only paying $59.99 for Internet.

Cable TV is just excessively expensive. We rarely even watch it. I'll miss it during football season for sure, but not for the prices they demand.

Seems a lot of folks use amazon tv, Netflix and other streaming services. You can't beat the convenience of cable, but the insane prices are insulting. Cable will be obsolete soon at this rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2016, 10:34 AM
 
12,404 posts, read 9,209,597 times
Reputation: 8868
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
This is the first time in my life I've gone without cable. I was paying $190 for cable TV and Internet. I am now only paying $59.99 for Internet.

Cable TV is just excessively expensive. We rarely even watch it. I'll miss it during football season for sure, but not for the prices they demand.

Seems a lot of folks use amazon tv, Netflix and other streaming services. You can't beat the convenience of cable, but the insane prices are insulting. Cable will be obsolete soon at this rate.
Yeah, it's pure profiteering. I don't have it either because it just isn't worth those rates. Count me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 AM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,699,745 times
Reputation: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
This is the first time in my life I've gone without cable. I was paying $190 for cable TV and Internet. I am now only paying $59.99 for Internet.

Cable TV is just excessively expensive. We rarely even watch it. I'll miss it during football season for sure, but not for the prices they demand.

Seems a lot of folks use amazon tv, Netflix and other streaming services. You can't beat the convenience of cable, but the insane prices are insulting. Cable will be obsolete soon at this rate.
Football is almost always on broadcast TV. Get an antenna and provided you do not live in the boonies you will have HD football at your fingertips. A cheapo 10 buck antenna is all that is needed.

Good move on the cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,875 posts, read 57,924,091 times
Reputation: 29302
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
I am now only paying $59.99 for Internet.
Good on you for quitting... but that still sounds a bit high.

How many Mbps do they claim you're paying for?
How about gear cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 11:20 AM
 
423 posts, read 363,669 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Good on you for quitting... but that still sounds a bit high.

How many Mbps do they claim you're paying for?
How about gear cost?
60 I believe? Whatever it is, it's fast. No rental fees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM
 
9,076 posts, read 9,234,568 times
Reputation: 4665
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
This is the first time in my life I've gone without cable. I was paying $190 for cable TV and Internet. I am now only paying $59.99 for Internet.
I don't know if you have heard the expression "it is expensive to be poor". They are referring to the high prices that poor people have to pay to cash checks, buy prepaid credit cards, and short term phone service.

Well now it is also expensive to be afraid of technology. Newspapers, cable TV, and magazines are much more expensive than tablets and internet protocol television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My parent's bill
My parent's bill 6 months ago was:
$126.89 50Mb/10Mb, Basic Cable Service, Signature Cable Service, Unlimited Nationwide Calling
$4.33 Starz
$3.62 Showtime/TMC
$29.64 TAXES, SURCHARGES & FEES

My parent's bill for the last 6 months:
$127.89 50Mb/10Mb, Basic Cable Service, Signature Cable Service, Unlimited Nationwide Calling
$4.33 Starz
$3.62 Showtime/TMC
$36.03 TAXES, SURCHARGES & FEES

Tomorrow it is going up again, and 6 months later it will increase again.
Internet from the same company is $29.99 per mo. with less than $1 in taxes. In addition they pay for two cell phones for emergency service and newspaper and some magazines. My parents spend about $150 per person per month on food.

You can watch fox news online. You can get the same weather reports online. You can buy online versions of Starz and Showtime. Tablets are cheaper than newspaper subscriptions. You won't get the ridiculous jump in fees which are just cost increases in disguise.

$29.64 TAXES, SURCHARGES & FEES -DECEMBER 2015 (23.36% of package price $126.89)
$36.03 TAXES, SURCHARGES & FEES -JANUARY 2016 (28.17% of package price $127.89)

The biggest problem that we have is my Dad likes football and basketball, and we don't get antenna service where we are. But even more than that he is afraid of ROKU boxes and Tablets. We would have to adjust the cell phone service since no home service, and fill in with VOIP phones. The internet would still go up $10 a year.

The cable company also advertises.
$59.99 per mo.* Triple Play: 25 Mbps Internet, Digital Basic TV (broadcast channels), Phone

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-05-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
 
423 posts, read 363,669 times
Reputation: 405
Cable TV will eventually go out of business like blockbuster did. I do miss the convenience, but it's geared towards people with more disposable income than I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Good on you for quitting... but that still sounds a bit high.

How many Mbps do they claim you're paying for?
How about gear cost?
I'm paying that much for internet.

Not a bad deal for my household because so many of us are using internet at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM
 
9,076 posts, read 9,234,568 times
Reputation: 4665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm paying that much for internet.

Not a bad deal for my household because so many of us are using internet at the same time.
You are paying $190/month for internet? How is that possible?

The fastest speed that RCN has with every possible option isn't anywhere near that price even if you add in some streaming services.

155 Mbps Internet
$49.99 Year One
$59.99 Year Two
$69.99 Year Three
*All prices exclude taxes, surcharges, fees and may exclude equipment.
$6.95 3-in-1 Gateway If you have selected RCN Internet speeds of 155mbps or higher for your home, you must use the Arris Touchstone DG1670 gateway. Because this is a 3 in 1 device, you do not need a separate wired or wireless router nor is an Ethernet MoCa bridge required – this functionality built into the device.

$7.95 McAfee® Total Protection
$4.95 RCN Service Protection Plan
$19.95 Static IP Use it to create a multi-player online gaming environment or to telecommute to work by connecting your home computer to a company network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You are paying $190/month for internet? How is that possible?

The fastest speed that RCN has with every possible option isn't anywhere near that price even if you add in some streaming services.

155 Mbps Internet
$49.99 Year One
$59.99 Year Two
$69.99 Year Three
*All prices exclude taxes, surcharges, fees and may exclude equipment.
$6.95 3-in-1 Gateway If you have selected RCN Internet speeds of 155mbps or higher for your home, you must use the Arris Touchstone DG1670 gateway. Because this is a 3 in 1 device, you do not need a separate wired or wireless router nor is an Ethernet MoCa bridge required – this functionality built into the device.

$7.95 McAfee® Total Protection
$4.95 RCN Service Protection Plan
$19.95 Static IP Use it to create a multi-player online gaming environment or to telecommute to work by connecting your home computer to a company network.
No, I was saying I pay $60, which is what the OP said he was going to be paying, and someone else commented that $60/month was high for internet. I think it's a decent price. Mine includes the wifi router (not cost effective to buy my own because I make the cable company swap it out every year and a half when it starts to get slower). I have Time Warner and each year they go up $10/month automatically. So every year I call and ask if they've got a special to get it back to $60, and they lower it.

I could save a few bucks by going with a slower speed, but both of my kids take online classes with real-time video interaction between them and the teachers, so it has to be fast enough to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top