Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 AM

193 posts, read 183,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes...do your banking online. But if you must have a few checks at hand NEVER get them from the bank - they'll be the most expensive several times over. Just do a google search and pick the cheapest.
Get a better bank. Several offer free checks around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 04:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
Get a better bank. Several offer free checks around here.
My bank is really expensive also. I have too many accounts there and cannot change.

I just ordered 1 box of plain checks from Artistic Checks. It was $6.90 with shipping. They should last the rest of my life, lol.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Just do a google search for personal check companies, and the search will bring up many companies to choose from. I pay everything but rent online, and a box of checks will last me 8-10 years.
A lot of those are scams, they tell you it's $3 a box and then add extra charges so it ends up being $10 a box, with a 2 box minimum.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Best Value Checks online was the cheapest I found. I didn't need many so I got 60 for $7.35 including handling and taxes.

I don't use them very often since I make all my payments online, but I got them in case I ever do need them, Last time was for my car registration because they would not process it online without a copy of my insurance card. I have not used any in months.

Also it's best not to get your address put on your checks that way if you ever move you can keep using them at your new location. I tired to do it online, but had to call and speak to a person to get the checks without the address on them, they also debited the amount from my checking account so it was easy.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A lot of those are scams, they tell you it's $3 a box and then add extra charges so it ends up being $10 a box, with a 2 box minimum.
Not true. It's normally about $6 per box. I've never seen anyone advertise boxes of checks for $3.00. Look in the Sunday paper for inserts, because there are flyers from the check companies, and there's a coupon code for a discount. You can also find them online.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:22 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I'm glad this was asked as I need some checks and looked at where I purchase checks and am paying way too much. Thanks for the great less expensive suggestions.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:26 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Can anyone recommend a good economy place to buy checks?

Prices look cheaper than the bank with free shipping until you go to check out and they add on a $10 handling fee, bringing them back up to what the bank is charging.

I don't know about the Costco checks. Their site (sub-contractor) refuses to accept my Costco number as valid, so I never saw whether or not they charge a handling fee. Incidentally, my Costco number is valid. I can buy off of Costco's web page and I went by the service desk and double checked. It makes me wonder if it is a scam to try to get customers to buy checks without the Costco discount. Anyone have success purchasing with the Costco discount recently?

Incidentally, they won't tell you about the handling fee until the very last second when it is time to pay and they already have all of your personal information. I find that very irritating.
I recently ordered my Checks through the Costco subcontractor without any problems.

cd :O)

Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Almost all banks provide you with a supply of free checks, usually 200. I probably write 4 checks a year so that will last me until long after I'm dead. If your bank won't give you free checks, change banks - or as someone else suggested use online banking

Old 08-31-2016, 12:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Unless you write a lot of checks, I wouldn't bother shopping around to save a few cents. Just get them from the bank. I would wonder who they are, anyways, if I ordered from a 3rd party? With all the fraud and identity theft going on, I would hesitate to put my financial information in the hands of an unknown 3rd party. Sometimes its just not worth the risk.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
None of the banks where I live just hand them out. That is great if you can find a bank that will do that but I have to think that is a thinkg of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living