U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM
 
4,310 posts, read 2,451,325 times
Reputation: 2424

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
I'm not trying to be another 18-25 year old living with mommy&daddy.
Not if you live with in 50 miles of the coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2016, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Striving for Avalon
1,408 posts, read 2,003,084 times
Reputation: 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
I had a high net worth when I was 18 invested in stock and bonds so can't say I can relate. I can go out right now and find a basic apartment here for $350 a month. If you can't afford $350 a month, something is very very wrong.

I suggest you stay at home if you live in a high col area. I have since age 18. I'm 35 now. I live in a $350k house which I will inherit and don't pay a penny in upkeep. I have lots of money that just piles up in my bank account. My total monthly living expenses are just $300 a month with a net income of over $5000 a month and growing.
Step 1: Get trust fund.
Step 2: Move to where apartments can be had for $350/month.

Oh yeah, step 1.5, book airfare to SE Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,248 posts, read 10,010,784 times
Reputation: 15118
Because you stated on your other thread, "you are going to beat up your dad because he didn't keep his promise to buy you a car" and also, for any number of excuses, "you can't find a job"; and (as affirmed above), you're also not going to college" --- you are asking the wrong question. (BTW, I lived on my own from about 16 forward).

You are asking if you are old enough to move out on your own. You should be asking how you are going to make it on your own without transportation, education or a job. You are fortunate to still have a roof over your head.

Is your contention that continuing to live with your parents for a while "is not an option" because they are fed-up with your sense of entitlement and kicking you out, or because you are upset with how "unfairly" they seem to be treating you?

As suggested on your other thread, you seriously need to grow-up and also wake-up to reality - before you do something really stupid and mess-up your life worse than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 06:42 PM
 
47 posts, read 42,160 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Because you stated on your other thread, "you are going to beat up your dad because he didn't keep his promise to buy you a car" and also, for any number of excuses, "you can't find a job"; and (as affirmed above), you're also not going to college" --- you are asking the wrong question. (BTW, I lived on my own from about 16 forward).

You are asking if you are old enough to move out on your own. You should be asking how you are going to make it on your own without transportation, education or a job. You are fortunate to still have a roof over your head.

Is your contention that continuing to live with your parents for a while "is not an option" because they are fed-up with your sense of entitlement and kicking you out, or because you are upset with how "unfairly" they seem to be treating you?

As suggested on your other thread, you seriously need to grow-up and also wake-up to reality - before you do something really stupid and mess-up your life worse than now.
College doesn't make you successful. You don't need college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 PM
 
125 posts, read 71,585 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
That's not an option
Well that sucks

I encourage all who can stay, to stay. One comes our ahead by a lot, and it was the norm in the old days..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM
 
Location: State of Denial
1,664 posts, read 772,487 times
Reputation: 8536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
College doesn't make you successful. You don't need college
You're absolutely right....college doesn't automatically make you successful. There are many people who graduate from college and aren't successful, just like there are many people who don't go to college and are successful.


A college degree does, however, give you a "leg-up" on your path to success. What you do after that is up to you.


I'm afraid to say, young man, if you don't get that enormous chip off your shoulder and do something about your unrealistic outlook on life and your determination to have everything handed to you on a silver platter with little effort on your part, you'll be living under a bridge for the rest of your life.


But then....why am I wasting my time on you? Your answer is going to be "No, I won't."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM
 
47 posts, read 42,160 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
You're absolutely right....college doesn't automatically make you successful. There are many people who graduate from college and aren't successful, just like there are many people who don't go to college and are successful.


A college degree does, however, give you a "leg-up" on your path to success. What you do after that is up to you.


I'm afraid to say, young man, if you don't get that enormous chip off your shoulder and do something about your unrealistic outlook on life and your determination to have everything handed to you on a silver platter with little effort on your part, you'll be living under a bridge for the rest of your life.


But then....why am I wasting my time on you? Your answer is going to be "No, I won't."
I don't know about you baby boomers but college degree isn't worth a penny today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2016, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,242 posts, read 3,401,717 times
Reputation: 8783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
I don't know about you baby boomers but college degree isn't worth a penny today.
Actually for millennials it's probably worth more than it was for baby boomers. Baby boomers came of age when careers could be had without a college degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2016, 02:23 PM
 
4,310 posts, read 2,451,325 times
Reputation: 2424
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Actually for millennials it's probably worth more than it was for baby boomers. Baby boomers came of age when careers could be had without a college degree.
USPS, ups, and fedex are hiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,809 posts, read 37,497,249 times
Reputation: 20869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
I don't know about you baby boomers but college degree isn't worth a penny today.
yup, I never bothered with one for raising my income + I was caring for a parent from age 18 till age 50, so it was nice that my company reimbursed me to go to college (and I still do).

No need for a degree, plenty of 'other jobs' if you care to do them. Many very rich and smart people never got degrees, but they seldom sat around burning daylight either.

Bus drivers make decent wages without getting degree, it is a pretty ez job, but NEVER have an accident / lose your license / drink and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top