U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:56 PM

1,664 posts, read 769,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
USPS, ups, and fedex are hiring
No, OP has his heart set on being a stand-up comedian. So far, he's doing a good job at it.....I'm sure laughing at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,446,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
No, OP has his heart set on being a stand-up comedian. So far, he's doing a good job at it.....I'm sure laughing at him.
Can't help those who don't want to be helped

Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
Quote:
USPS, ups, and fedex are hiring
USPS not really. They are downsizing.

To quote a good friend of mine that decided to go to college rather than take a 60k management job with Petsmart... "then I'd be stuck working a crappy job my whole life."

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
USPS not really. They are downsizing.

To quote a good friend of mine that decided to go to college rather than take a 60k management job with Petsmart... "then I'd be stuck working a crappy job my whole life."
Not crappy per say. I mean all jobs are pretty pointless unless you're a doctor or work at a non profit to save abused animals.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My loving mom cured that thought the day I turned 16,

Staying at home would cost me $400/ month, or there was a rat infested mobile home down the road for $300. I was making $2 hr at my 3 jobs so it was a big hit for a 16 yo.

It was good training, as the day I turned 18, I became the primary caregiver for my disabled father. Party over for next 32 yrs.

If you stay at home... Pay your fair share of housing and 100% of your food. Our home cost $1800/ month to keep the doors open, so if you have 6 people in that home, your share would be $300. Our kids were long gone by age 18. One went to fire station as a resident volunteer. It was a great place to live for 4 yrs of college / grad school., but lots of interruptions and sleepless nights. Nice to finish college with a skilled trade and professional career. Both still pay excellent. Another was living on a fishing boat in AK. I bought my first house at age 19, it was a real junker and I had to sell my nice car and truck and drive a 25 yr old $70 junker. Must have worked.... I now drive a 40 yr old jnier on free akternative fuel.

Getting out and finding your own way will really help you out.
Sorry, but something tells me that if you remove the other 4 from the house and only have 2 still there, the "cost to keep the doors open" in your house would be more than $600. It always bothers me when, say, parents want to divide the cost of the mortgage among the people in the house...when at the end of the day, it's "their house" and blah blah blah. Why would you want your children to help you pay your mortgage? Wow. If you want them to contribute a bit toward electric (which does NOT generally double when one person moves in vs. the 2 already living there), food, etc, that's one thing.

My husband and I took in a younger friend who was in a tough situation for a couple of months. Guess how much our mortgage went up from having another person in the house? ZERO. Guess how much our electric bill went up? $9. Guess how much our water bill went up? Less than a dollar. Our grocery bill certainly went up, so there's that. But how fair would it be to divide our mortgage payment (same every month, according to the contract that *WE* signed and for the home that WE will own when it's paid off, not him), electric bill, water bill, etc. by 3 and ask the friend to pay 1/3 when our bills only went up about $10 a month from him being there? And that's a FRIEND....not our CHILD...

Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,779 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Different perspectives... sure, you can do whatever you want / can afford... I hosted (housed, fed, clothed...) a disabled parent for 32 yrs and didn't get a penny of their insurance or disability pay, and didn't desire or request it. We have hosted many friends and strangers for the last 40 yrs (listed as FREE international guest home), some have stayed months, some yrs. (3) FREE

since OP is about "living on your OWN post age 18..."
Anyone over age 18 best be prepared to take on the 'responsibility' of home ownership, OR FT rental. Unless disabled or special circumstances they may be 'leaching' and a parent may be 'enabling' irresponsible behavior. (availing some kids to NEVER grow up)

For some families, (not ours) the kids get an inheritance value from home anyway, so no problem with kids paying a portion of the mortgage expense. After all.... there is a HUGE opportunity cost to whoever is holding a mortgage with significant down payment or equity in property. Mortgage in my case is less than 20% of the value of home, so as the person who coughed up the capital, I am ALREADY taking a loss / risk on the 80% of outstanding equity. Mortgage is pocket change in comparison. Age 18 is none too early to learn that lesson.

using infrastructure.... each load of clothes is one less load the machine will be able to process, who will be there to buy the next W&D? who bought and maintained the last one. (Not the kids!) Refrigerator? who leaves the door open while hunting for snacks? Not the one paying the monthly bill!

septic system? Who is gonna pay for the next $1200 septic tank pumping

Well / water system, kids might take a 20 min shower, but the parents who have paid $10,000 for a well and pump system know enough to take 2 minute showers, cuz they will have to pay for the replacement system (probably out of their meager SS or emergency fund)

Roof? When was the last time your kid offered to pay for a $20,000 roof? It kept their precious little head dry for 18 yrs.

There are plenty of 'remedies' for post age 18 self sufficiency (housing). Go out and try a few on, and you will determine how you are gonna get along in life

I'm not at all sorry I had my kids build their own homes from scratch during Jr High Homeschool. It was a lot of work and they were not happy about spending 2 yrs of their life digging, pounding nails, wiring, sanding, laying bricks, painting.... but... it kept them in school and college cuz they didn't desire to be pounding and digging the rest of their life. Not that many parents are willing to work night shift for 15 yrs to homeschool and help their kids build homes, learn furniture making, car repair, and how to finance and run a business. I put in my time early, to give them the tools to do it themselves long before age 18. After all... they may need to care for a sick parent too!. (I hope not for their sake, that is a severe disruption to school, career, life, financial success)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-08-2016 at 07:53 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Different perspectives... sure, you can do whatever you want / can afford... I hosted (housed, fed, clothed...) a disabled parent for 32 yrs and didn't get a penny of their insurance or disability pay, and didn't desire or request it. We have hosted many friends and strangers for the last 40 yrs (listed as FREE international guest home), some have stayed months, some yrs. (3) FREE

since OP is about "living on your OWN post age 18..."
Anyone over age 18 best be prepared to take on the 'responsibility' of home ownership, OR FT rental. Unless disabled or special circumstances they may be 'leaching' and a parent may be 'enabling' irresponsible behavior. (availing some kids to NEVER grow up)

For some families, (not ours) the kids get an inheritance value from home anyway, so no problem with kids paying a portion of the mortgage expense. After all.... there is a HUGE opportunity cost to whoever is holding a mortgage with significant down payment or equity in property. Mortgage in my case is less than 20% of the value of home, so as the person who coughed up the capital, I am ALREADY taking a loss / risk on the 80% of outstanding equity. Mortgage is pocket change in comparison. Age 18 is none too early to learn that lesson.

using infrastructure.... each load of clothes is one less load the machine will be able to process, who will be there to buy the next W&D? who bought and maintained the last one. (Not the kids!) Refrigerator? who leaves the door open while hunting for snacks? Not the one paying the monthly bill!

septic system? Who is gonna pay for the next $1200 septic tank pumping

Well / water system, kids might take a 20 min shower, but the parents who have paid $10,000 for a well and pump system know enough to take 2 minute showers, cuz they will have to pay for the replacement system (probably out of their meager SS or emergency fund)

Roof? When was the last time your kid offered to pay for a $20,000 roof? It kept their precious little head dry for 18 yrs.

There are plenty of 'remedies' for post age 18 self sufficiency (housing). Go out and try a few on, and you will determine how you are gonna get along in life

I'm not at all sorry I had my kids build their own homes from scratch during Jr High Homeschool. It was a lot of work and they were not happy about spending 2 yrs of their life digging, pounding nails, wiring, sanding, laying bricks, painting.... but... it kept them in school and college cuz they didn't desire to be pounding and digging the rest of their life. Not that many parents are willing to work night shift for 15 yrs to homeschool and help their kids build homes, learn furniture making, car repair, and how to finance and run a business. I put in my time early, to give them the tools to do it themselves long before age 18. After all... they may need to care for a sick parent too!. (I hope not for their sake, that is a severe disruption to school, career, life, financial success)
Live somewhere affordable?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:35 PM

519 posts, read 1,202,673 times
It's so expensive these days...and jobs are difficult to find...and then there's the college loans.

My kid will be moving back home after graduating college next spring. Age 22. We have absolutely no problem with that. She will be getting a job, paying for her own car expenses, and paying monthly rent to us (some of which we'll put into savings for her).

She has a couple of friends that moved out of their parent's homes after high school. It's a huge struggle for them, making minimum wage, living with people who can be a pain in the .... and not trustworthy.

Best wishes to you.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:41 PM

11,352 posts, read 7,399,724 times
Quote:
Can't help those who don't want to be helped
The idea is to create a situation so that they WANT help.

I'm thinking a couple of weeks going hungry ought to do it.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The idea is to create a situation so that they WANT help.

I'm thinking a couple of weeks going hungry ought to do it.
Like teaching a child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or