U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 10:33 PM

47 posts, read 42,079 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be another 18-25 year old living with mommy&daddy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
I don't see anything wrong with living at home as long as your not taking complete advantage and that your working towards a goal of being independent. Otherwise, I think it's fine to live at home still at that age while working or going to school and saving up.

As far as being possible, depends on circumstances but yes. Probably a big reason so many are home at that age is because they're working lower paying jobs to start off. If your able to get a job paying enough to support you living on your own(rent, utilities, food ect) then you should be fine. Do you have employment or looking for it?

Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
It is definitely possible, but it's not easy. I moved out on my own at 17...wasn't even old enough to sign a lease, but I got into a roommate situation with someone who had a flexible landlord who didn't require me to be added to the lease. At 18, I got my own apartment. At 21, I moved in with my now-husband, and we bounced between a few rentals. At 27, I became a homeowner...I'm 28 now.

I'll be honest...it's hard. Things were very hard for me, and then us, until I was about 24 and finally got into a good career. Then, there were obstacles for a while because after living broke for so long, there's always something that takes that cash flow once it's coming in.

Living on your own is expensive. Moving into a place of your own is expensive. It's hard to get ahead once you start making money because it all goes to bills, bills, bills.

There are very few things I would change about my life because my life has turned me into the person I was today. I also didn't have the best "home situation," so moving out on my own young was the best choice for me. However, moving out early and having to worry about taking care of myself with no help from a young age was tough, I'm not going to lie.

I'm not a fan of adults living with their parents for a long time, but if you live in a safe, comfortable home with your family, and if your parents support you living with them for a while after you turn 18, I say do it. Just don't skate by with that time like so many young adults do...time flies. Make the most of that time, and prepare for your future.

Consider attending a community college while you're living with your parents. Pick a trade that will pay well, or attend for your first two years to work toward a four-year degree -- then, consider online classes (through a reputable state school, not a for-profit school) if you don't mind missing out on the "college experience" and want to minimize costs, or attend a local school. Work, work, work -- work two jobs if you have to, but don't let your grades slip. Offer to pay your parents rent -- I can assure you that what they charge you will be less than living on your own, and most parents will be a lot more forgiving when times get tough than a landlord who is running a business. Contribute at home, whether you parents charge you rent or not, by buying your own "stuff" when you can and by cleaning up around the house or otherwise helping out. In the meantime, though, take advantage of the opportunity that you have by not having to pay all of your own bills, and stack up as much money as you can...don't take advantage of having low expenses by blowing it all at bars or on "toys" or on clothes. You'll be giving yourself a much better chance in life if you do.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,773 posts, read 37,441,293 times
My loving mom cured that thought the day I turned 16,

Staying at home would cost me $400/ month, or there was a rat infested mobile home down the road for $300. I was making $2 hr at my 3 jobs so it was a big hit for a 16 yo.

It was good training, as the day I turned 18, I became the primary caregiver for my disabled father. Party over for next 32 yrs.

If you stay at home... Pay your fair share of housing and 100% of your food. Our home cost $1800/ month to keep the doors open, so if you have 6 people in that home, your share would be $300. Our kids were long gone by age 18. One went to fire station as a resident volunteer. It was a great place to live for 4 yrs of college / grad school., but lots of interruptions and sleepless nights. Nice to finish college with a skilled trade and professional career. Both still pay excellent. Another was living on a fishing boat in AK. I bought my first house at age 19, it was a real junker and I had to sell my nice car and truck and drive a 25 yr old $70 junker. Must have worked.... I now drive a 40 yr old jnier on free akternative fuel.

Getting out and finding your own way will really help you out.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:56 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,948,777 times
Sure if you join the army.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:01 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
I moved out when I was 18. Actually, my mother threw me out. It was possible to work full time and provide for myself. It wasn't possible for me to work full time and attend college full time, so I quit school even though I had a full scholarship. I just couldn't find any way to make it work. I was spending four hours a day on the bus, going to school and back and then to work, and I kept falling asleep on the bus which was not a very safe thing to be doing.

I got married really soon after my mom kicked me out. Two people making minimum wage can live comfortably enough together if they manage their money really carefully and know how to cook for themselves.

Have you talked to your parents about what they want you to do? My oldest is 14 and I've already started talking to her about her options at 18. My favorite option is for her to live in my house while going to college and even afterwards if she wants, while she saves up for a down payment on a home. I don't want her to ever feel pressured to get out of my house or to have her school options limited by having to work at the same time.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:43 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,810,546 times
Assuming you're not going to college,

1) Find work first
2) Find roommates you can stand to live with and aren't a risk for not paying their share of the rent (ideally personal friends who can rely on their parents in a pinch) second
3) Find a place where your monthly share of the rent is less than 1/40th of your annual income third.

Try to jump to (3) in an expensive part of the country at 18 and you're in for a world of financial hurt/risk. Do it in that order and you should be fine.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
I don't know. The military is one option. Honestly, there are so many other scenarios are not where I'd want my own children that I don't encourage it, but I don't know any one else's family situation. I went to college and lived at home when I wasn't in college and then continued to live at home for almost a year after I finished and got a job. I helped out around the house, shopped for groceries and helped take care of my younger siblings. My dad wouldn't take money from me for groceries or rent even though I offered it. His goal was only that I be responsible.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:30 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,384,329 times
If you have the means to support yourself, sure why not!

Old 07-31-2016, 11:52 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,501,570 times
Without any roommates, no. When I first moved out, I only needed one roommate (early 80's). Today, I think you need more than 2 if you're out of the house for the first time (after high school, before college graduation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or