U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,128,157 times

Advertisements

-- So with Roku I can just come home, sit down at any time, go to a program guide, and channel surf and see what's on to watch, and go to it and it's already on, right?

Its "Allays On" When you press the play button it starts to play from the beginning 24x7, you can skip/fast forward if you want to, you can pause it, if you need to, and start where you left off. Roku is a device not a content/program provider, See next question

-- And once you by Roku, there's no addition monthly costs? (Unless you want some add on), right?
Roku is a device its a one time cost to buy it, It provides access to content (Channel) Providers, Its Many of the channels will show you a list of shows that meet your past watching habits, for you to "Surf: thru to pick to watch

-- Right now my internet is 75/75 (I don't even know what that means, is that enough if I'm also getting my TV that way?

75/75 is the speed the data comes down the internet line (75 = 75 Million Bits of data per second) , But most thing you use on the internet don't push anywhere near that much data per second, the 2nd 75 is the upload speed, how much data you can push up the cable (btw: 75mbs is a very high number, and at most you would use 3-5mbs)

-- If you have Roku, and a Double Play with a cable service or Verizon -- have you found that cheaper than a Triple Play?
Suppose with the Roku you have to increase you Internet speed, well now you're paying for that.

Ive been Internet only for last 6 years, The Internet only cost is higher as a stand alone, but less then the total cost of Internet + TV

-- I tried to find a list of Roku channels and it had a free list, but then it said for other channels "link to your existing cable TC subscription".the reason for getting Roku would be to DROP cable TV. Are channels like Bravo, HGTV, Ms TV, A&E, "free" with ROku?

Some Content providers charge for there content, like NetFlix, Hulu, A&E etc. There is a content aggregate called https://www.sling.com/ that for $20/month provides access to alot of the "cable" stations. For over the air TV networks if you live within ~60-100 miles of the tv antennas a TV antenna in the attic will pull them in for free, at better quality then the cable. Also there are Sub-Band channels that are broadcast that are not on your cable system plug your address into: https://www.antennaweb.org/ to see what signals you can pull in from your home, There are also TV Antenna dvr's that can record off the antennas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 04:00 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,773,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
It's pretty much a mystery to all... but maybe offer a close neighbor some $$ to get their wifi password.
Well I was looking for LEGAL alternatives. But I've not found Wifi to be a good way to stream content to multiple machines. WIFi works okay for portable devices but I've found that I have buffering issues when trying to stream in real time.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 PM

6,022 posts, read 6,521,704 times
Maybe it's my age, and the fact that I'm a VERY late adopter of technology….
…but Now it seems I'd need Roku and Sling and still need an antenna to have access to all the channels I get now. It's is all very complicated to me.

I want ONE bill, I want to turn the TV on sit down see what's on, watch what's on, look at a channel program guide, see what's on and watch something, etc. I don't' want to pice together program options from three and four different sources. I just want to watch TV that's all. Why does that need to be complicated (in my head anyway)

Thanks for those who've tried to explain it. I guess I have a mental block.
Just like it's said that a person shouldn't invest in something they don't understand. I guess I should get TV through a delivery system I don't understand. FiOS and Comcast I understand. I'm too old for this other stuff. (Or at least I feel that way)

Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 PM

9,066 posts, read 9,225,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just like it's said that a person shouldn't invest in something they don't understand. I guess I should get TV through a delivery system I don't understand. FiOS and Comcast I understand. I'm too old for this other stuff. (Or at least I feel that way)
The primary reason most people list for keeping cables is it is very difficult to get sports delivered via Internet Protocol Television. But frankly, I think viewers like you outnumber the ones who keep it for Sports. They feel that watching TV is meant to be mindless, and they don't want to think about computer programs.

In 2009 the cable at my parents was analog, and there were no boxes inside the house associated with TV. There was nothing but coaxial cable, and you could run it to as many televisions as you wanted, (in their case 5 TVs) at no concern to the cable company. In September of 2009 the cable went digital, and you all of the national channels were scrambled and you needed a box at every TV.

Today there is coaxial cable running to one box attached to a TV. The box has six tuners and a 1 terabyte DVR. The client boxes at the other TV's are hooked to the internet, and they receive the signal from the main box. So the simple act of watching TV is now using a computer network. It was installed for only a few days, when a lightning strike disabled some of the ports.

So your "plain old cable" is going to get more complex over the years, and it will cost you more and more money. It's like "Plain old Telephone" service. Verizon now charge almost $70 a month to hook up a land line in my city that does nothing more than give you unlimited domestic service. Look at the price of home newspaper delivery.

In 1976 the FCC mandated that all cable systems have a minimum of 20 channels. This paved the way for CNN, and MTV as well as TBS and USA. People are using the internet to go back to those days, often buying only 20 cable channels via Sling TV, and paying an inflation adjusted price similar to what was charged in the late 1970s for cable.

So they are turning down the multiple channels on most modern cable systems in favor of the limited selection which was popular 30 years ago.

One nice thing about Sling TV is that they now give you BBCAmerica in the basic tier. It's a good channel which has been unfairly used by American cable companies to sell higher tiers of cable. It doesn't cost the cable companies any more than other channels, but it doesn't have the backing of a major American media company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or