U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM

476 posts, read 934,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I think the paragraph police needs to step in here, somewhere.
Not me;
I really enjoyed this entry
good description of a neat lifestyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 03:22 AM

4,942 posts, read 5,660,879 times
I really enjoy reading about and seeing pictures of people's van living and whatnot. That probably sounds really weird, because I like good sized houses and I can't see that being my personality at all, but I don't judge it whatsoever and actually find it really cool reading about all of the innovations and tips and tricks people use to make a van work for them. It's like a strange hobby of mine to read and peruse the blogs and sites about turning a sprinter van into a mobile home and people's adventures throughout the country, etc.

I think in another life, if I didn't have as much money but still was interested in my same career path, I would have thought about that route if I were single. It would only work for single people though, for me. The biggest reason for a large house for me is I don't want to be confined with another person. It's almost exponential for me, a 1,000 square foot place for just me, not a big deal, but with another person, more like 3-4K square feet is necessary because of noise and living your life the way you want while still being with someone.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:56 PM

107 posts, read 34,537 times
I look forward to reading this because I considered this once in my life.
Now that I'm older I imagine the objections I would have would be no good, fast, reliable internet, and a fairly high cost in terms of parking somewhere each night, and probably more close neighbors than I'd want.
If I could have done it in my 30's when I wanted to, I bet it would have been great though!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 1,797,933 times
Considered this many times and would actually do it but my husband isn't on board with the idea. I would use a van or a small pop up camper. I love traveling and it would be a great way to do it. Wouldn't choose it specifically to save money but traveling yes.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:20 AM

8,532 posts, read 9,523,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Considered this many times and would actually do it but my husband isn't on board with the idea. I would use a van or a small pop up camper. I love traveling and it would be a great way to do it. Wouldn't choose it specifically to save money but traveling yes.

I just got home from a very long road trip/vacation and, more than once, I wished I had a camper van for the trip. Have thought about getting one for a while now but not yet. Motels have become ridiculously expensive. I paid from $41 to $240 for rooms on this trip. That last one about gave me a heart attack. I got 'caught' in Cheyenne, WY Frontier Days 'stuff' and motel rooms were double the normal price. I looked it up when I got home. I like my road trips but have to really save up for them just for gas and motels. Someday I'll have that van though.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

9,332 posts, read 3,643,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I've been to nearly 20 states and I have no desire to see the rest.

The more you see, the more you realize how homogeneous this country is.
Really? I think this country is amazingly diverse.

Cape Cod bears no similarity to the Big Bend area of Texas, and is nothing like the vast midwest corn fields, which is nothing at all like Key West, which is nothing at all like Pittsburgh.

My husband and I have opted out of International Travel because there is SO VERY MUCH to see in the US, and it's cheaper and much less logistics overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or